1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

how would igor vovchanchyn do today?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by UFCBlackbelt, Jul 9, 2019.

1. NoSmilez Silver Belt

He is too small. He also isn't the best grappler. He will have some big wins but majority are going to be losses.

2. p4pfighters Orange Belt

Igor was a Valetudo fighter , when he started fighting in pride he was already past his prime and did quite well until he cut weight to 205, people forget that Mark Kerr was a monster when they fought and igor easily dismantled him, he would do fine in the UFC especially at HW where KO power is as much valued as skill.

3. listrahtes Black Belt

Look up the UFC HW rooster again. Its much worse than in earlier times.
    Prime Igor has much better cardio than most HWs nowadays, he is faster, has at least equal KO power, fantastic defensive wrestling. His training dedication back then was nearly unmatched.

I would definitely bet on Igor 100% against Blaydes, Lewis, actual JDS, Volkov..etc.

He would loose to Cormier and prime Stipe. Ngannou could land a ko punch but I would bet on Igor gassing him out and late tkoing him.

4. UFCBlackbelt Green Belt

Why Volkov? He would be at an insane height and reach disadvantage?

5. listrahtes Black Belt

Its honestly not possible to really make a case with these hypothetical match ups and be 100% sure with such a long difference in era but my argument would be that especially Igor was used to have such an "insane" disadvantage and he used it to his advantage by having faster feet great guard and slips and was getting on the inside. He really only needed a few punches to stun his opponents which he could very fast with his short arms and style focused on hooks and angled overhands. . Its all about how you use your body.

Watch him vs a back then very dangerous stand up fighter Yvel. He defeated him with a sub but the first few encounters he had no problem managing Yvel in the stand up despite being much much smaller. Vovchanchyn was a counter puncher. He would bait Volkov get on the inside, leg trip etc or just punish him.

Reminds me of Mike Zambidis or Manhoef in K1. Often the much smaller guy but their style played into it and they defeated much bigger opponents.

6. Taric Gold Belt

He'd fight at MW

7. tequilaboy Purple Belt

Mark Kerr?

8. Taric Gold Belt

Yeah people forget that the specimen was both undefeated, and scary as shit, when he lost to Igor.

9. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

Undefeated and scary as shit does not = A-lister

10. NoSmilez Silver Belt

He isn't in the same era. He looked larger than life but he had giant holes in his ground game. He was a very powerful striker but he wasn't a good technical one. How many other decent strikers has he fought in his career and won on the feet? This is the same igor that couldn't put away some of the japanese fighters. I loved Igor during his time but he didn't fight that many big HW knockout artists during his time. If he did, he didn't come out with a win. It's not his fault, there weren't better fighters during his time.

11. Herbanii Blue Belt

No up to date photo in the whole thread made me disappointed.
    He is still a beast.
    Igor Bless.
    [​IMG]

12. Kwinkle Kwink Brown Belt

I came in here expecting THIS Igor;
    Igor.png

13. Protagoras Banned Banned

He would do just fine. He would easily be top 10 considering how well a guy like Hunt did in recent times.

I really don’t get why people have this idea that more recent fighters are so much superior to guys from the early to mid 2000’s. Particularly at HW the growth has almost been in reverse.

Skill for skill Miocic is not much superior to a fading Kharitonov. I often make this comparison and completely stand behind it.

Frankly a motivated Aleksander Emelianenko would probably destroy almost any of the current HW.

I will be accused of being a Pride fanboy for saying that but I really don’t give a shit. The top HW’s from Pride’s days are still so much superior to modern MMA HW it’s not even funny. All you have to do is watch the fights and you will see this.

I mean, for fucks sake, an aging Barnett (who got crushed by Mirko multiple times) was legitimately considered as surging prospect as recently as a few years ago.

14. corrupted Black Belt

Yes I do. At the time one of the best BJJ practitioners to have fought in MMA. That's not exactly being take down at will or subbed by "anyone"..

15. DayV Green Belt

Kerr was definitley A lister at that time, and was viewed as such by MMA fans and media, and that value was represented in ranking.
    Sakuraba was also A list, his actual size does not matter for that time wich was close, if not part, of open weight era. Sakuraba was allready UFC HW tournament champion, and has allready beaten UFC HW champions Royce and Blefort, and Pancrase HW champion Mezger, on top of beeing no. 1 LHW fighter in 2000, so he was completely legit great win at that time.

Carlos Baretto was also ranked Top 5 when Igor beat him.

16. Hirashin This is not a profession Banned

If Igor was a modern day fighter he would cut down to 155. But Igor is not a weak mentallity fighter who cuts a ton of weight to get advantage and confidence, so Igor will fight at HW again and he will be top 10, cause today's HWs are worse than those in 2003.

17. flikerstance floridaman Banned

u gotta realize guys in his era wernt nearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr as technical as today he could come back in his prime now and get fuked he only has a punchers chance guys today are sooo much better in grappling than back then

18. flikerstance floridaman Banned

i agree hw is the weakest and 205 is weak too but still the grappling now is sooooo much better than it was back then

19. corrupted Black Belt

The Kerr win was his most impressive across his entire career. In the 1st fight, he was fighting a man on more steroids than a bodybuilder, on enough opiates to erase the pain of a car accident and a girlfriend at home crazier than Rose West . . . Although he "won" by fouls, he stood his ground and had Kerr pretty much turtled up before throwing the knees, he was the 1st person to even contest a fight with him really.....it was his 12th fight. He had some crazy fast finishes and had smashed most people to pieces... Never had a nickname been so appropriate.... The Smashing Machine was A+++ at that time. That defeat (Now a NC) was truly the only defeat that falls outside of, "shell of is former self" Kerr and really says a fuck of a lot about the guy that beat him. Igor was on another planet when you take a proper look at the guy. Anyone writing off his chances because of his size or striking style needs to see that fight ...

20. Joshuaace Geezer Belt

Nearly 80% of his wins were by ko/tko. He could crack! Not many UFC HW fights are contested on the mat with grappling. Happened more often in Igor's era imo.