how would igor vovchanchyn do today?

his best win was mark kerr ..... i dont think he would do great against the fighter that are fighting now .

In hindsight . At the time that win was pretty huge.
Yeah, at the time that was the fight between the #1 and #2 HWs in the world (and back then you had to go to magazines like Black Belt for any kind of worthwhile rankings.)

He would be top 5, but probably not champ.

Considering HW has not improved at all in the past 15 years.

At HW i'd favour him to beat Derrick Lewis. Old faded versions of JDS, Cain and Reem could potentially come unstuck against him too but he'd be the underdog. He might be able to beat Oleinik too, it'd be old slow grappler vs explosive low center of gravity striker.

Would probably do better at LHW though. I think he could hang with practically everybody there on the feet. A guy like Anthony Smith would almost certainly try to stand and bang with him and it wouldnt surprise me at all if Igor got the better of it.

Vovchanchyn woud KO Cormier, very fast hands and combinations, and DC's reach and heigh would not pose a problem.

Igor also beat big guys like Kerr, Carlos Baretto, Goodridge, V. Overeem, Yvel, Varleans, so he would be OK. Especially in the ring where he can close the distance.

Too damn short. If he was 6'1 - 6'3 he'd be a beast.

Vovchanchyn woud KO Cormier, very fast hands and combinations, and DC's reach and heigh would not pose a problem.

Igor also beat big guys like Kerr, Carlos Baretto, Goodridge, V. Overeem, Yvel, Varleans, so he would be OK. Especially in the ring where he can close the distance.

DC would destroy him on the ground.

You see the question. Not much else to this thread.

Prime circa 1998-2000 Vovchanchyn? In a cage? At least as well as Roy Nelson... In my opinion, better than Roy Nelson. So very well. Still UFC top 10-worthy.

Heavyweight has hardly evolved at all.

DC would destroy him on the ground.
DC could easily be knocked out in standup, especially in the ring where Igor could corner him. DC first needs to take him down, if he can. And even on the ground it is not over since DC would hardly be able to finish him without elbows and fence.
Igor could just tie him up in the guard.
And when fight goes to the feet again, DC would again be in big problems.

He'd hover in top 3. Potentially win title maybe not. He'd get close maybe win. maybe then hover in the top 5.

his best win was mark kerr ..... i dont think he would do great against the fighter that are fighting now .

He was an excellent kickboxer. Who the fuck has been great at HW in the ufc. Stipe for a little bit. That's about it.

Could you imagine the reach disparity if Igor fought Bones Jones?

everyone of your posts in this thread is hater shit and wrong lol. Kerr WAS A LIST and so was SAKU. you are comparing him to modern day fighters. Hes not that, Igor was a monster..IF he was in todays MMA he would probably do like everyone else and cut weight. MW igor would have packed some serious power.

So many posts full of hypothetical hate. So he fought some monsters in his advanced mma age (he fought giants with out gloves for YEARS) in an mma organization that didn't drug tests while being under sized...losses happen. you cant just toss him into this era as he was lol. If babe ruth was around in 2019 you can be sure he wouldnt look like he did back in his day.. things have changed.

Compare him to other legends of his time. He would do so much better than almost everyone from his era and thats not even debatable. Hes a legend.
Im a big of fan of igor but i watched him comin up and i never thought much of kerr,and saku was too small to beat igor esp after having a 90 min fuckin match. So save the "hater" talk cos i dont hate igor at all.

Huge Igor fan, maybe the reason I got into MMA was watching one of his fights.

I think he'd be ok, pretty much an exciting fighter but never threatens for the title.

I think the question is how well would he do with today’s training methods?

He would obviously not do well if he was using the same old methods. He was from the old guard.

He would definitely have a punchers chance. Dude hit like a freight train

He'd hover in top 3. Potentially win title maybe not. He'd get close maybe win. maybe then hover in the top 5.
Kind of where Lewis, Reem and Cain are. He'd be just outside the top 5 for me. He could (theoretically) get a few good matchups to give him a title contention shot but I still think he loses to the elite of the division.

I think that Conor would make short work of him.

Kind of where Lewis, Reem and Cain are. He'd be just outside the top 5 for me. He could (theoretically) get a few good matchups to give him a title contention shot but I still think he loses to the elite of the division.
He'd KO Reem and he'd KO JDS and he'd KO Lewis.

Cain would be a problem. but it would still be winnable. Who knows I mean Cain never fucking fights anyway I don't know what he is.

dc would kill Igor unfortunately.

Back