How would have Gus vs gegard played out

a Gegard with 1 ACL - ugly. once i found out Gegard had 1 leg, i was glad this fight didn't happen.

a Gegard that isn't injured? interesting. i would like to see THIS fight.

God dammit we should see this fight. It would be ideal for Gus to fight around the same time Jones does. Mousasi is the best fight by far imo available in that time frame

This fight would show exactly how much better of a boxer Gustafsson is compared to Mousasi.

This fight would show exactly how much better of a boxer Gustafsson is compared to Mousasi.

Exactly.

Gus would/will handily beat Mousasi

Then everyone will finally say how Mousasi belongs at MW... and not fighting Gus who is a legit LHW.

After seeing both their last performances, I'm forced to favor Gus by quite a bit.

Gotta go with Gus. Bigger, longer, and he would definitely use TD's and some GnP.

Mous would get hurt and lose a lopsided decision.

God dammit we should see this fight. It would be ideal for Gus to fight around the same time Jones does. Mousasi is the best fight by far imo available in that time frame

i was by no means a fanboy but i definitely was excited about Mousasi in the last 6 years and excited that he came to the UFC.

but we have to be honest (the difference between a fan and a fanboy) - since ~2010 he's been hurt constantly, has had multiple surgeries, and no big wins. 2010 was a long time ago. and hell, the heart of his best run (2006-2008) was a long, long time ago.

so i'll gladly be patient and see what happens with him. i hope he comes back and proves he's great. i'm afraid he won't, and the haters will take that to mean he was never nuthin more than a can.

but hell, ya can't win with haters, so shrug.

Moose is a bad match up IMO.

No, he's not, and I'm a fan of both. Jones was supposed to be a horrible match up for Gus and you and most of the others (not me, I knew Jones would struggle and you can check my post history to prove it) thought it to be true. "Bones by whatever he wants", "Bones by ragdolling him in the 1st or 2nd and finishing with GnP" etc. Turns out, Gustafsson was a bad match up for Jones. :icon_lol: When you have his speed, size, strength, power, TDD and boxing skills, you're a hard match up for just about everybody. Mousasi would try and get it to the ground because that's what he does against most great strikers. He'd try and finish from there. The problem is that Mousasi wouldn't be able to take a much bigger, stronger Gustafsson down with much better TDD.

I'm a huge Gegard fan (check my sig) but he is just too small for LHW. That and his cardio has never been great, Gustafsson's is. The size and strength + cardio of Gustafsson only would trouble Gegard. Add in Gustafsson's speed advantage, footwork, angles, boxing and TDD + takedowns of his own and Mousasi would be overwhelmed. That's just the truth. Mousasi moved down to 185 because he said that Jones was too big and strong. Well, guess what? Alexander is just as big and certainly as strong or stronger than Jones (as we saw). At times Jones was getting shoved to the ground easily and by a zombified, exhausted Alex. That's scary strength.

No, he's not, and I'm a fan of both. Jones was supposed to be a horrible match up for Gus and you and most of the others (not me, I knew Jones would struggle and you can check my post history to prove it) thought it to be true. "Bones by whatever he wants", "Bones by ragdolling him in the 1st or 2nd and finishing with GnP" etc. Turns out, Gustafsson was a bad match up for Jones. :icon_lol: When you have his speed, size, strength, power, TDD and boxing skills, you're a hard match up for just about everybody. Mousasi would try and get it to the ground because that's what he does against most great strikers. He'd try and finish from there. The problem is that Mousasi wouldn't be able to take a much bigger, stronger Gustafsson down with much better TDD.

I'm a huge Gegard fan (check my sig) but he is just too small for LHW. That and his cardio has never been great, Gustafsson's is. The size and strength + cardio of Gustafsson only would trouble Gegard. Add in Gustafsson's speed advantage, footwork, angles, boxing and TDD + takedowns of his own and Mousasi would be overwhelmed. That's just the truth. Mousasi moved down to 185 because he said that Jones was too big and strong. Well, guess what? Alexander is just as big and certainly as strong or stronger than Jones (as we saw). At times Jones was getting shoved to the ground easily and by a zombified, exhausted Alex. That's scary strength.

Didn't read.

I thought Jones was gonna destroy Gus on the ground. Gus was just a horrible match up for Jones and he still lost. Neither Gus or Moose will have to worry about the TD so it'll be a boxing match. Styles make fights and I believe Moose is a bad match up. Not that it means Moose is gonna win but it's about as bad of a match up as you can get for Gus at this point. I don't see anybody except maybe Lil Nog beating him. Apparently you can't use wrestling against Gus anymore. A little scary. Or maybe I'm speaking too soon... Either way, Moose is more of a threat to Gus than anyone right now besides Jones or maybe an improved Davis in the future. And like I said, I could see Lil Nog out boxing him or subbing him if Gus gets too TD happy.

Didn't read.

I thought Jones was gonna destroy Gus on the ground. Gus was just a horrible match up for Jones and he still lost. Neither Gus or Moose will have to worry about the TD so it'll be a boxing match. Styles make fights and I believe Moose is a bad match up. Not that it means Moose is gonna win but it's about as bad of a match up as you can get for Gus at this point. I don't see anybody except maybe Lil Nog beating him. Apparently you can't use wrestling against Gus anymore. A little scary. Or maybe I'm speaking too soon... Either way, Moose is more of a threat to Gus than anyone right now besides Jones or maybe an improved Davis in the future. And like I said, I could see Lil Nog out boxing him or subbing him if Gus gets too TD happy.

Gus was not a "horrible" match up for Jones, he was supposed to be an easy mactch up stylistically who turned out to be a bad match up (not horrible). Once Gustafsson hones his kickboxing, especially his defense more (to knees, elbows and head kicks) then he'll walk through Jones. MOST people (pro fighters and fans had Gus winning and beating Jones), myself included. Out of 17,400+ people polled on BJPenn.com's polled, 65% had Gus beating Jones while only 23% had Jones winning. That's nearly 3 people to 1.

Mousasi absolutely would have to worry about being taken down against Gustafsson. He just took Jones down, the first guy in history to be able to do this (in Jon's entire pro MMA career). Meanwhile, Jones has fought some of the very best wrestlers in the sport and they failed at taking him down. He fights Gustafsson and in round #1 he's taken down (Jon's a national wrestling champ btw). Mousasi would get taken down easily and Alex would likely utilize the most out of his GnP (watch the Hamill fight, Alex has NASTY GnP). It wouldn't "just" be a boxing match. As a positive for Mous, he's a great kickboxer too (with awesome subs to boot). I'm not saying Mousasi couldn't be a threat, I just really think you're overselling it.

As for Lil Nog outboxing either Gus or Mousasi?! :icon_lol: No, just no dude.

" Now that Gus has proven himself as an elite LHW with superb hands"
We already knew this when the Gegard match was scheduled. The only surprise in the Jones fight was Gus's TDD.

Gegard would do a lot better than people think. It would be a good fight.

i was by no means a fanboy but i definitely was excited about Mousasi in the last 6 years and excited that he came to the UFC.

but we have to be honest (the difference between a fan and a fanboy) - since ~2010 he's been hurt constantly, has had multiple surgeries, and no big wins. 2010 was a long time ago. and hell, the heart of his best run (2006-2008) was a long, long time ago.

so i'll gladly be patient and see what happens with him. i hope he comes back and proves he's great. i'm afraid he won't, and the haters will take that to mean he was never nuthin more than a can.

but hell, ya can't win with haters, so shrug.

I just think it's an exciting fight for the fans and it's not like Gus has abunch of relevant contenders available for him to fight early next year

It would have been interesting, but iwould take Gus by wrestlefuck.

Seeing how Mousasi had a pretty severe injury, Gus probably would have taken it. Too much footwork for a guy with a fucked up ACL to deal with.

Back