How would GGG and Canelo do in the golden era of MWs?

Jackson doesn't figure out Canelo's head movement and gets horribly counterpunched to the body and upstairs à la McCallum. It doesn't last much longer.

Y'know, I just watched that entire fight, & I know hindsight is 20/20 but I think that fight started him down the path that led to the injuries he suffered in the Benn fight. Mclellan took some monster shots & was visibly rocked on several occasions, & in the 4th he started blinking & his body language got weird at times.

Yes I mentioned this earlier think his symptoms started showing around this fight.

On Canelo I think Kalambay was another extremely skilful boxer who would have given him a very difficult fight. The Nunn loss was just a freak result imo.

canelo has literally never look drained at 160. never really even at 154. the floyd fight at 152 is arguable but he looked more lost than drained.

as far as i’m concerned, if a guy makes weight consistently and it has no adverse effect on his performance, he belongs in that class. he happens to be a guy who puts on big weight before the fight the next day and that’s okay.

"Middleweight 2020" isn't "Middleweight 1990", is my entire point. They're now different weight classes because the 36-hour or whatever gap between weighing in & fighting means you can be a big drainer without getting big brain damage.

Canelo as you've just said is a big drainer. Today, that makes him a middleweight. I am not trying to convince you otherwise.

I am saying he wouldn't be a middleweight 30 years ago, unless you go back ten years to like the Cotto fight (which is when he probably last weighed 160 on the day of the fight). Because if you believe that a Canelo who weighed in at 1pm & fights at 9pm that same day looks like the Canelo who shoved GGG around in their rematch, I have a bridge to sell you.

Basically, comparing eras is now not just boxing's equivalent of arguing about which of their favourite Transformers would win in a fight (which it always has been) but you've now got to either handicap for the weigh-in differences to even talk about the subject. If you pose the question "Is Fighter of Today X better than Fighter of Yesteryear Y", & Fighter Y was in the "same" division but weighed in on fight-day, you've got to consider the size difference that his opponent weighing in with such a huge gap before the fight brings to the table, or it's just ludicrous to talk about.

Last edited:
Back