How would GGG and Canelo do in the golden era of MWs?

I know for sure GGG is a much more skilful boxer but JJ could potentially ko anyone out cold. Apart from McCallum all JJ losses were past his prime imo. I dont think GGG would avoid his bombs for 12 rounds.
I don't think Jackson would hold up to GGG. Not to mention if he could be stopped at Jr Middleweight then he wouldn't hold up to a true middleweight of GGG's caliber. I also am going with the middleweight who made 20 straight title defenses.

at 160 i don’t see benn making it out of the 5th with either guy. he had a mediocre chin and average boxing. same goes for jackson. we all love knockouts but power as a singular attribute is overrated

Maybe I am being too generous I know Benn had a highly suspect chin. However look at the McClellan fight with the British crowd roaring him on he refused to lie down. Still for me one of the greatest ever performances by a British boxer. That's why I think he may have hung around until the later rounds. (But still loses to both.)

Maybe I am being too generous I know Benn had a highly suspect chin. However look at the McClellan fight with the British crowd roaring him on he refused to lie down. Still for me one of the greatest ever performances by a British boxer. That's why I think he may have hung around until the later rounds. (But still loses to both.)
unrelated but that fight ruined both fighters careers imo. should have been stopped when benn went through the ropes.

I don't think Jackson would hold up to GGG. Not to mention if he could be stopped at Jr Middleweight then he wouldn't hold up to a true middleweight of GGG's caliber. I also am going with the middleweight who made 20 straight title defenses.

You could be right of course. How many of those 20 title defence opponents though were better than Terry Norris? He would win his next 15 fights after the Jackson loss. Not pissing on triple g who is great and imo beat Canelo both times.

unrelated but that fight ruined both fighters careers imo. should have been stopped when benn went through the ropes.

No way lol. If the count was long not Benns fault. I agree Benn also wasn't the same after that fight. I believe McCellan's rapid blinking and other tell tale signs were apparent after the Jackson fight....(despite him winning obviously took some damage.) Very sad.

No way lol. If the count was long not Benns fault. I agree Benn also wasn't the same after that fight. I believe McCellan's rapid blinking and other tell tale signs were apparent after the Jackson fight....(despite him winning obviously took some damage.) Very sad.
neither guy was the same after the fight and i’ve seen fights stopped for less. i think they absolutely could have stopped the fight and rematched a year or two later.

i’m also not a referee lol i’m always screaming “stop the fight” at my TV even if it maybe doesn’t need to be

neither guy was the same after the fight and i’ve seen fights stopped for less. i think they absolutely could have stopped the fight and rematched a year or two later.

i’m also not a referee lol i’m always screaming “stop the fight” at my TV even if it maybe doesn’t need to be

We would have been deprived of a classic fight though! Have to admit I am not 100 percent sure off top of my head about rules on boxers being knocked out of ring. (How long they get to climb back in.) Standard 10 secs or extra time at refs discretion?

Need to go to bed gents. Final thought- Michael Second to Nunn. Think he would have given both very tough fights. Came close to beating prime Toney. Could see him frustrating Canelo on pts but GGG prob catches up with him later rounds. I was a big fan of Nunn back in the day.

Fair comment but as you say Golovkin is very hittable and you cannot let Jackson hit you too many times. Eventually he buries him.
Golovkin can eat more of JJ’s punches than JJ can eat Golovkin’s.

We would have been deprived of a classic fight though! Have to admit I am not 100 percent sure off top of my head about rules on boxers being knocked out of ring. (How long they get to climb back in.) Standard 10 secs or extra time at refs discretion?
i feel like it’s either 15 or 20

You could be right of course. How many of those 20 title defence opponents though were better than Terry Norris? He would win his next 15 fights after the Jackson loss. Not pissing on triple g who is great and imo beat Canelo both times.
the Terry Norris fight wasn't at middleweight, was it? so not sure how much that wins matter at 160

Golovkin can eat more of JJ’s punches than JJ can eat Golovkin’s.
Nobody ate Jackson's punches. I think you need to do a review of him punching people with real sound. It's sounds like he's cutting wood.

Look at Jackson's record. The dude was legit as fuck. Don't sell him short just because he was a great puncher. To me the fight against Norris was the finest display of how power can beat speed that I have ever seen. He straight walked him down and blasted him. The only reason he lost the mccellan is pure physics, Jackson loaded more whereas mccellan got his shots off faster and beat him to the punch. Both would kill ggg or Canelo.

Nobody ate Jackson's punches. I think you need to do a review of him punching people with real sound. It's sounds like he's cutting wood.
I think you should watch McClellan eat them for lunch and maybe should start using google before posting.

I think you should watch McClellan eat them for lunch and maybe should start using google before posting.

Y'know, I just watched that entire fight, & I know hindsight is 20/20 but I think that fight started him down the path that led to the injuries he suffered in the Benn fight. Mclellan took some monster shots & was visibly rocked on several occasions, & in the 4th he started blinking & his body language got weird at times.

On-topic: I know I always say this about historical matchups including today's fighters, but when does everybody think Canelo last weighed 160 on the day of the fight?

My guess is, probably for Jose Miguel Cotto, in 2010.

I know it just looks like snark (hey, some of it is snark), but I don't think that sort of thing can be overlooked: he weighs 175lbs plus at "middleweight", & he either wouldn't look like that versus those fighters ('cos he'd be drained as fuck fighting in that weight division) or we'd be discussing how he blew away a guy who had a fifteen pound weight disadvantage.

Boxing's weight divisions are no longer directly comparable across eras, is my point.

Y'know, I just watched that entire fight, & I know hindsight is 20/20 but I think that fight started him down the path that led to the injuries he suffered in the Benn fight. Mclellan took some monster shots & was visibly rocked on several occasions, & in the 4th he started blinking & his body language got weird at times.

On-topic: I know I always say this about historical matchups including today's fighters, but when does everybody think Canelo last weighed 160 on the day of the fight?

My guess is, probably for Jose Miguel Cotto, in 2010.

I know it just looks like snark (hey, some of it is snark), but I don't think that sort of thing can be overlooked: he weighs 175lbs plus at "middleweight", & he either wouldn't look like that versus those fighters ('cos he'd be drained as fuck fighting in that weight division) or we'd be discussing how he blew away a guy who had a fifteen pound weight disadvantage.

Boxing's weight divisions are no longer directly comparable across eras, is my point.
canelo has literally never look drained at 160. never really even at 154. the floyd fight at 152 is arguable but he looked more lost than drained.

as far as i’m concerned, if a guy makes weight consistently and it has no adverse effect on his performance, he belongs in that class. he happens to be a guy who puts on big weight before the fight the next day and that’s okay.

I seem to remember McClellan getting dropped and being fucked up afterwards. Nobody ate Jackson's punches.

I seem to remember McClellan getting dropped and being fucked up afterwards. Nobody ate Jackson's punches.
So even with a video proving your ignorance you continue to say dumb shit. Go have another watch of their first encounter. Golovkin destroys Jackson in similar fashion.

Back