How would GGG and Canelo do in the golden era of MWs?

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
One of the GOAT divisions in history

How would they each do individually against

RJJ
McCallum
Toney
BHop
Jackson
Kalambay
Nunn
Benn
Eubank
McClellan
Barkley
Watson
Collins
Johnson
Graham
Parks

Those fighters in time frame of late 80s/early 90s

Last edited:
They’d be contenders. Both of them are not beating Roy Jones Jr, James Toney or Mike McCallum.

with or without peds the guys of this era used?

just fine. probably just below rjj. around the level of BHop. both would beat almost all the guys on that list.

They’d be contenders. Both of them are not beating Roy Jones Jr, James Toney or Mike McCallum.
canelo isn’t beating mike mccallum or james toney?

<{katwhu}>

just fine. probably just below rjj. around the level of BHop. both would beat almost all the guys on that list.
I know you like the modern fighters but DAMN, Canelo would get chewed up by half that list, so would ggg.

Not likely. Seen his fight against kovalev? Mccallum is on another level.
kovalev is a 6’1 outside fighter with an extra 15 pounds. mccallum is a 5’11 boxer puncher and 160 pounds. not sure what they have in common.

I know you like the modern fighters but DAMN, Canelo would get chewed up by half that list, so would ggg.
ur out of ur fucking mind lmfao ggg and canelo are losing to iran barkley and chris eubank? get out of here

kovalev is a 6’1 outside fighter with an extra 15 pounds. mccallum is a 5’11 boxer puncher and 160 pounds. not sure what they have in common.
It was a really poor performance from Canelo, barring the finish. McClellan was another class above kovalev. Watch his fight against Jacobs, it was dull and more closely contested than most like to admit.

the top 4 of this list are the only ones giving ggg and canelo any real problems and i don’t think that era of BHop was very good. he became much better in the mid 2000’s. toney was often lazy in his inside/countering style and that’s something i can see GGG capitalizing on specifically.

that leaves mccallum and rjj and i’m not picking anyone against a prime RJJ besides maybe hagler. i think both guys can outpoint mccallum but it would be a brutal fight.
It was a really poor performance from Canelo, barring the finish. McClellan was another class above kovalev. Watch his fight against Jacobs, it was dull and more closely contested than most like to admit.
i thought that was a very good fight and jacobs is a very good fighter.

ur out of ur fucking mind lmfao ggg and canelo are losing to iran barkley and chris eubank? get out of here
Eubank would whoop Canelo's arse. I think you need to watch him fight watson or benn. Don't know about Barkley. Eubank was slicker than Canelo and a better puncher.

the top 4 of this list are the only ones giving ggg and canelo any real problems and i don’t think that era of BHop was very good. he became much better in the mid 2000’s. toney was often lazy in his inside/countering style and that’s something i can see GGG capitalizing on specifically.

that leaves mccallum and rjj and i’m not picking anyone against a prime RJJ besides maybe hagler. i think both guys can outpoint mccallum but it would be a brutal fight.

i thought that was a very good fight and jacobs is a very good fighter.
I wouldn't bet two cents on Canelo vs a young Toney. He's a blown up light weight for starters.

canelo isn’t beating mike mccallum or james toney?

<{katwhu}>
LMFAO like Mike McCallum would lose to Bhop or Canelo when he's the second best boxer on the list after RJJ by far.

Mike McCallum, the guy who Emanuel Steward said was the most gifted fighter he had ever seen, who Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard were all too scared to fight, who made Hagler shut his mouth and lower his gaze when he confronted him about it?

THIS guy?

No, Canelo is not beating THIS guy. No way in hell.

In fact, "fast hands, slow feet" Canelo wouldn't even be able to land a punch on McCallum whereas "The Bodysnatcher" would connect on him at will, which means Canelo is guaranteed to go down within 6 rounds. I actually can't think of a worse matchup for Canelo in the whole history of boxing besides RJJ, and that's only because it's RJJ.

It's actually comical how Canelo beating McCallum is not even within the realm of possibility. We're talking about Amir Khan beating Sugar Ray Robinson level of impossibility here.

Last edited:
I feel that Canelo wouldn't be able to beat RJJ, McCallum, McClellan and he'd struggle against Eubank but might beat him on points. Forgot Toney, don't think he'd beat him either. Would be an interesting fight because they are both defensively excellent but I'd give the edge to Toney. GGG pretty similar really but I'd see him struggle more with BHop.

Canelo vs gman & eubank vs ggg would be the fights I’d most like to see out if those

LMFAO like Mike McCallum would lose to Bhop or Canelo when he is the second best boxer on the list after RJJ by far.

Mike McCallum, the guy who Emanuel Steward said was the most gifted fighter he had ever seen, who Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard were all too scared to fight, who made Hagler shut his mouth and lower his gaze when he confronted him about it?

THIS guy?

No, Canelo is not beating THIS guy. No way in hell.

In fact, "fast hands, slow feet" Canelo wouldn't even be able to land a punch on McCallum whereas "The Bodysnatcher" would connect on him at will, which means Canelo is guaranteed to go down within 6 rounds. I actually can't think of a worse matchup for Canelo in the whole history of boxing besides RJJ, and that's only because it's RJJ.

It's actually comical how Canelo beating McCallum is not even within the realm of possibility. We're talking about Amir Khan beating Sugar Ray Robinson level of impossibility here.

lmaoooooo alright bro. yes, mike mccallum was a very good fighter. a hall of famer. so is canelo. you’re out of your mind.
I wouldn't bet two cents on Canelo vs a young Toney. He's a blown up light weight for starters.
a blown up lightweight that just jumped up to light heavyweight and won a world title by brutal KO. what a bum.

Def don't see Canelo beating RJJ, BHop, McCallum or Kalambay. Not sure why ppl are saying Mike and not Sumbu. Sumbu at his best was incredible one of the best defensive fighters ever near that weight. Canelo struggled mightilyto find a home against Lara's defense. He's not doing shit to Sumbu. I think he edges Toney in one of his patented controversial decisions many think he lost, Toneys low workrate prolly hurts him. Nunn would beat him as well, but great fight and id slightly favor Eubank. Canelo/Benn is 50/50. Benn was a head hunter early on but when he started going to the body consistently (Eubank, Sims, Malinga, Piper) he had some of the most crippling bodyshots ever near that weight. Tough fight for both. Canelos conditioning might barely put him through

Canelos combo punching, head movement and bodywork def gets him through the list but a couple of those guys def have a chance to spark him. McClellan is a tough fight for Canelo too. Hes similar to GGG and a past prime one got robbed against Canelo. Canelos head movement is prolly a bit too good for him to fight the right shot but if he does hes sparking him. GGG with his durability and power would do comparatively better overall against most these fighters and have a better record.

Last edited:
Back