How would George Foreman fare in today’s HW era?

Saw that Schulz fight live on TV. Turned me down from boxing for the first time in my life.
What a bad result that was.
90s Foreman wasnt great.

I think ol' Foreman lost more than a few steps between 1991 and 1995. All things considered his fight against Holyfield was probably his best, during his entire comeback.

He didn't win but he looked competitive against a legit top 15 ATG heavyweight, in Holyfield's prime.

The win against Moorer really was a miracle of sorts considering that Foreman was becoming slow as molasses at that point, with significantly declining reflexes and physical shape.

The bad decision Foreman got against Schulz, was avenged by him being robbed blind by Shannon Briggs.

Last edited:
Foster wasn't 200 pounds.

It depends on whether he's talking about Mac Foster or Bob Foster. Mac Foster was a contender for a bit in the late 60's, he was around 6'2 and 210 pounds.

Bob Foster never managed to put on any weight beyond the 175 lb class. His heavyweight campaigns usually ended badly for him.

Fury would be a bad matchup for George, but if avoids that fight he dominates.

Fury would be a bad matchup for George, but if avoids that fight he dominates.
I could see that as well. Fury imo is the only HW from this era that has potential to go down as an all time great due to his skill and technique being leagues above other HW rn.

It depends what Foreman, he was suited to fight in different ways ,. He was more effective heavy set and that’s because he took a better punch and learned timing much better . The guys he lost to like young would never defeat a 90”s Foreman , he wasted a lot of energy and punches in his early days . If he could fight himself Older Foreman would bully his former bully self which was imposing his size and the mental state added to this would be a big factor giving a 38/ 45 yr old Foreman a big advantage .

Younger Foreman would be more effective against guys like Fury as opposed to older Foreman against say a Wilder . For the most part older George does better , better chin, Knowledge and experience .

This is all horseshit. Old Foreman was one of the worst champions ever. Young Foreman blew up nearly everyone until near his first retirement. Young Foreman did better against his competition than Ali did. Ali was always in wars against everyone even lesser fighters. Young Foreman would have beat old Foreman in three rounds.

I think Prime Foreman would smash everyone except Fury and maybe Usyk. All of today's other HW's are hittable and Foreman hits fucking hard plus he has an insane chin. So he could take it but I doubt Wilder, Joshua, even Ruiz could take Foreman's power. Fury has the defensive ability to cause Foreman problems and Usyk maybe as well but it remains to be seen how he'll do at HW. But I think Usyk could do ok. Foreman was considered big in his heyday but compared to modern HW's he wasn't that big and Usyk has fought bigger men and made them look silly. He could do the same to Foreman. I doubt he could hurt Foreman but he could certainly score a lot of points off him. Fury is so big and long that I think someone like Foreman is made for him. He'd be the only one that I bet heavily on to beat Foreman.

I think ol' Foreman lost more than a few steps between 1991 and 1995. All things considered his fight against Holyfield was probably his best, during his entire comeback.

He didn't win but he looked competitive against a legit top 15 ATG heavyweight, in Holyfield's prime.

The win against Moorer really was a miracle of sorts considering that Foreman was becoming slow as molasses at that point, with significantly declining reflexes and physical shape.

The bad decision Foreman got against Schulz, was avenged by him being robbed blind by Shannon Briggs.

I think George Foreman is great. But his 90s version wasnt. He was good enough to get the title, well deserved, what an achievement! (no sarcasm)
And yes he looked way better against Holyfield and slowed down a lot afterwards.

BUT

I was 19, German, watching that fight for the World Heavyweight Title and lineal title in boxing.
Axel Schulz would have been the first german HW champion since 1932. For me, he clearly won that fight. What a kick in the nuts that was!
And then Foreman refused a rematch. Schulz fought Botha for the HW title and lost, the bout was turned a NC due to Botha popping for PEDs. Schulz then fought Moorer for the title and lost a split decision.

So dont give me that Shannon Briggs stuff!
Imagine Axel Schulz being finnish, or some fight of that magnitute with Helenius at the short end of the stick. ;)

Michael Spinks says he thinks Holyfield was the only guy on roids during his career;

Don't really know for sure but I don't think he was that far off.

gotta disagree, the amount of people on juice even in the amateur division, theirs no reason to not be in the pro league, hell michael could just be trying to save face himself

Michael Spinks says he thinks Holyfield was the only guy on roids during his career;

Don't really know for sure but I don't think he was that far off.

Thats an absurd take lol.

gotta disagree, the amount of people on juice even in the amateur division, theirs no reason to not be in the pro league, hell michael could just be trying to save face himself

I’m not that familiar with Spinks career to be honest.

Looking at some of his opponents, I don’t think Holmes or Cooney were steroid users.

Tyson is hard to believe but then you hear stories of him being huge from 13 and he never lost mass in his later years (he did get fat at one stage though obviously).

At the time of Ali-Foreman-Frazier, I don’t think steroids had really made their way to boxing, there might have been the odd guy, perhaps Norton.

From the 90’s I think they were definitely around I’d look at guys like Holyfield, Morrison, Joshua, the Klitschko’s as >95% likely on roids at least.

It depends what Foreman, he was suited to fight in different ways ,. He was more effective heavy set and that’s because he took a better punch and learned timing much better . The guys he lost to like young would never defeat a 90”s Foreman , he wasted a lot of energy and punches in his early days . If he could fight himself Older Foreman would bully his former bully self which was imposing his size and the mental state added to this would be a big factor giving a 38/ 45 yr old Foreman a big advantage .

Younger Foreman would be more effective against guys like Fury as opposed to older Foreman against say a Wilder . For the most part older George does better , better chin, Knowledge and experience .

Beat me to it.

Prime Foreman today would look physically much different considering he would have access to modern training and supplements.

his chin would likely be strong enough to take anyone’s power besides maybe wilder and his pressure would be a massive problem for most HW’s throughout history. i think he would be just as good today

The guys he lost to like young would never defeat a 90”s Foreman , he wasted a lot of energy and punches in his early days .

Except Ali.
Every version of Foreman loses to Comeback Ali.

Old Foreman would’ve gotten Holyfielded by Ali instead. People forget that Ali was more a boxer-swarmer than just pure boxer.
In n out with lightening fast, accurate and long combinations. Guy is probably the only HWT I’ve seen who’d throw 10-15 punch combinations on the regular.......and on the move !

And the ol Swarmer loses to Puncher dynamic wouldn’t apply here because A) like I said, he wasn’t a pure swarmer and B) defensive reflexes too damn good.

Finally, his mind was just too strong too. It always went into Super Saiyan mode in big fights regardless of his skills / physical capacity.

George Foreman against the cream of the crop that today’s HW’s have to offer was really intriguing to me because of how unique he’d be in any era.
How would he do against the current batch of boxers we have now?

Fury
Joshua
Wilder
Ruiz
The Rest

He would beat them all. His weakness was speed and footwork. Anybody else he just plowed through

I could see that as well. Fury imo is the only HW from this era that has potential to go down as an all time great due to his skill and technique being leagues above other HW rn.

Tyson Fury struggled to beat Otto Wallin

I need to see if its even possible to knock Ruiz out

Back