How would Frank Edgar do as a boxer?

He's the guy who flops like a fish when he gets hit.

by guys who outweigh him hugely. He then came back and ko'd that guy an awesome fashion.

edgar has got some good boxing for an mma guy. considering he spend most his life wrestling, just like a great boxer would box from a young age, edgar has got decent movement and striking.
dont forget apart from training boxing, hes trained his muay thai and bjj. thats alot of time spent.

it would be silly to think how he would do if he never wrestled and just boxed his whole life. and it would be silly to try and guess how he would do in pure boxing if he jumped in. probably top 100, hes not young so he hasnt got much time.

but the way you got to think of it is technique. right now out of all the other mma guys, hes got good boxing. moves on his feet well, head movement,jabs, closes the distance pretty well. he clocked benson in the 2nd fight with 1 2's many times.

hes not the best, but theres guys with worse boxing, worse wresling, worse bjj and worse muay thai. hes got mma boxing than alot of guys who boxed first and then did mma like sakara (not saying hes a great boxer)

if your comparing it to guys who have only boxed or have boxed most their lives, like edgar has wrestled its pretty good. imagine mayweather stopped boxing and did mma 10 years ago, would his bjj, wrestling and mauy thai be as good as edgars?
you never know. would mayweather be able to go into bjj competitions and do well?

you have to consider factors when talking about an mma guys boxing. dont just compare to someone who has soley done it, or done it all there lives. that is ignorant, i expect that shit from tuf fans, not from guys who understand the science of boxing and love a sport that have been around for longer than they have been alive.

sorry for the grammar

All joking set aside, he wouldn't make the top 30 of any respectable/notable sanctioning org.

That being said, his fights with bendo convinced me that a boxer would do great in Mma.

Edgar has great foot work and knows how to stick and move , he was frustrating and winning (IMO) against bendo...

His striking is good (in Mma) and is one of the most talented fighters in Mma of that weight class.

by guys who outweigh him hugely. He then came back and ko'd that guy an awesome fashion.

edgar has got some good boxing for an mma guy. considering he spend most his life wrestling, just like a great boxer would box from a young age, edgar has got decent movement and striking.
dont forget apart from training boxing, hes trained his muay thai and bjj. thats alot of time spent.

it would be silly to think how he would do if he never wrestled and just boxed his whole life. and it would be silly to try and guess how he would do in pure boxing if he jumped in. probably top 100, hes not young so he hasnt got much time.

but the way you got to think of it is technique. right now out of all the other mma guys, hes got good boxing. moves on his feet well, head movement,jabs, closes the distance pretty well. he clocked benson in the 2nd fight with 1 2's many times.

hes not the best, but theres guys with worse boxing, worse wresling, worse bjj and worse muay thai. hes got mma boxing than alot of guys who boxed first and then did mma like sakara (not saying hes a great boxer)

if your comparing it to guys who have only boxed or have boxed most their lives, like edgar has wrestled its pretty good. imagine mayweather stopped boxing and did mma 10 years ago, would his bjj, wrestling and mauy thai be as good as edgars?
you never know. would mayweather be able to go into bjj competitions and do well?

you have to consider factors when talking about an mma guys boxing. dont just compare to someone who has soley done it, or done it all there lives. that is ignorant, i expect that shit from tuf fans, not from guys who understand the science of boxing and love a sport that have been around for longer than they have been alive.

sorry for the grammar

Very well said...considering Edgar started out as a wrestler....he has made huge improvements in striking. And honestly, this guys heart and determination is up there with gatti,

I don't see a superlative boxing talent with him and I don't think in an alternative career path he'd ever be the best guy in his (very competitive) weight class. But he'd be a great pro prospect. Any guy with that kind of work ethic, balance, strength, competitive nature and cardio who walked into a gym and wanted to fight would get the attention of the trainers there. Anyone who says otherwise is advertising how much they know about the fight game. There are a lot of pro boxer, only a few dozen champions and only a handful of HOFers. Being a solid pro is impressive, even if it doesn't put you on par with Floyd Mayweather.

An athletic guy who can push a pace and take a punch is going to win at the early stages of competition. Edgar could almost certainly be the guy who beat out of town journeymen at the top of a card at the local VFW. How he would do after that is a question. If you transposed his MMA boxing technique to a boxing ring the answer is "not very well" but Matt Lindland showed even crappier wrestling technique in MMA before and after winning a silver medal in wrestling. MMA is MMA and every "feeder" style is going to have to be adjusted to be successful. I don't know how well Edgar's MMA boxing would adjust to straight boxing--that's the big question IMO. If he can adjust well, I could see him as a fringe contender in boxing, a top 30 guy who doesn't get tired and beats prospects who show up out of shape and/or expecting an easy fight but losing to focused guys at the top level. If he can't change the way he boxes then he loses to a lot of guys, including many who aren't full-time fighters.

wow after all the "experts" opinions someone who doesnt want to just bash an mma fight on an mma website. and give an honest opinion. and a good one.

even though i dont agree with you. i think if he went into boxing right now. hes too old and wouldnt get past the top 50 or close really.
he'll be competing against guys who have stayed in one combat sport most or all their lives. edgar was a wreslting... then an mma champ... to go onto his 3rd combat sports would be too much. but again you never know. he could spend the next 4 years hardcore boxing with a great trainer, he could get past top 50.

btw im not even sure how old he is. lol

apart from age, why would a normal athletic guy be better than an already proven great athlete like edgar. boxers are just normal guys before they become boxers. hes a dedicated guy. a champion in 2 combat sports.

most the guys in this thread have probably never even competed in boxing or mma, or even trained.

sorry for the grammar again

Last edited:
All joking set aside, he wouldn't make the top 30 of any respectable/notable sanctioning org.

That being said, his fights with bendo convinced me that a boxer would do great in Mma.

Edgar has great foot work and knows how to stick and move , he was frustrating and winning (IMO) against bendo...

His striking is good (in Mma) and is one of the most talented fighters in Mma of that weight class.

someone else who seems to have decent hands and footwork is gustafson in the ufc. decent chin too, he tooks some nicely timed shots against shogun some people didnt catch. if i knew how to upload gifs, id upload one of shogun countering gus's uppercut.

agreed btw

wow after all the "experts" opinions someone who doesnt want to just bash an mma fight on an mma website. and give an honest opinion. and a good one.

even though i dont agree with you. i think if he went into boxing right now. hes too old and wouldnt get past the top 50 or close really.
he'll be competing against guys who have stayed in one combat sport most or all their lives. edgar was a wreslting... then an mma champ... to go onto his 3rd combat sports would be too much. but again you never know. he could spend the next 4 years hardcore boxing with a great trainer, he could get past top 50.

apart from age, why would a normal athletic guy be better than an already proven great athlete like edgar. boxers are just normal guys before they become boxers. hes a dedicated guy. a champion in 2 combat sports.

most the guys in this thread have probably never even competed in boxing or mma, or even trained.

Did wrestling and taekwondo in high school and bjj now.

I make it a point not to bash fighters or sports as I'm a huge fan of boxing and Mma.

someone else who seems to have decent hands and footwork is gustafson in the ufc. decent chin too, he tooks some nicely timed shots against shogun some people didnt catch. if i knew how to upload gifs, id upload one of shogun countering gus's uppercut.

agreed btw

I missed the first half of that fight...might have to watch it again. I would have preferred it to be a five rounder.

On a side note I don't know how anyone can shit on Edgar especially after his last four fights. There is no quit in that man.

Did wrestling and taekwondo in high school and bjj now.

I make it a point not to bash fighters or sports as I'm a huge fan of boxing and Mma.

well i meant the guys who didnt bother giving a decend reply and just straight away love to bash.
always wish we had wrestling here, england needs to sort that out.
but luckily my dad is a martial arts teacher, and for years worked with master lye kwong. trained in shoot wrestling as a teen too. trained a bit of boxing and bjj at roger gracies then got injured. will be back lol.
i love boxing, it will always be my first love, but martial arts was my very first love too lol. and i dont just love boxing, i love watching all boxing, especailly old school. ricardo lopez is amazing to watch.

guys like cruz and winman? (the guy who just beat brad pickett) try to use peps style of footwork. im wondering who in boxing moves around alot like edgar and has thats style but obviously better.
i asked this before and no1 could really anwser, some names came up.

Last edited:
Edgar? He better not jump into the 147 pound division. My boy Victor Ortiz would straight up rock Edgar. Ortiz is the better, faster, stronger fighter. We did it again. We can do it ONE MORE TIME~!

I missed the first half of that fight...might have to watch it again. I would have preferred it to be a five rounder.

On a side note I don't know how anyone can shit on Edgar especially after his last four fights. There is no quit in that man.

definetely the first half of the fight was the better. i think it was the 3-5 minute of the 1st round or 1st half of the 2nd round where shogun gets him with a nice overhand right counter. gus was throwing the upper cut over and over, sometimes with great success and shogun does a nice job of timing his overhand right counter. gus doesnt flinch though.

Edgar wouldn't do anywhere near as well in Boxing as he has in MMA.

Feed him to Mike Alvarado.

It's a boxing match that can be billed as "Wrestler vs Wrestler". Then Mike KOs him in 1 :D

FYI: Mike Alvarado was a Colorado Class 4A state high school wrestling champion at Skyview High School before moving to boxing when he was in college.

just curious to see what some of you think about how Edgar would do if he just up and left MMA to pursue a boxing career.would he find success. hypothetically in the Junior welterweight class

badly,

You work out?

I+work+out+.+he+kept+on+saying+I+work+out_b95376_3222837.jpg

Back