How Would Ferguson do against Gaethje?

it's a great matchup, one i hope we get to see.

1st round favors Gaethje, could get the KO. Past that Tony does a lot of damage, stops him. Either way won't go the duration. Good match-up, overlooked one.

This is the second best fight at LW in my opinion; below Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov and above Poirier vs. Ferguson.

I think Gaethje would knock Ferguson out, due to Ferguson's porous defense and tendency to take big shots - getting dropped by Pettis isn't a good sign. Ferguson also got hit a lot by Cerrone.

A combination of devastating leg kicks (Gaethje traded leg kicks with Barboza lol) and a of power in every one of his strikes, leads me to believe that Gaethje is a dangerous fight for Ferguson and would likely put him out. Ferguson doesn't have dangerous one-shot power, but he is great at setting a high pace for five rounds.. but isn't very consistent with his defense, and early on, his chin is always there to be cracked.

Especially now at 36, - I think prime Gaethje would have beaten Ferguson up; however, Ferguson gets put to sleep in 2020 by Gaethje if they were to fight.

Thoughts?

Ferg being 36 gives some weight to your argument, but no... prime vs. prime, these two guys aren't really close. Gaethje is a kind of poorman's Ferg. Both hang their hat on being action fighters. Ferg wins his fights, Gaethje is a win some, lose some guy. Granted, he's caught a little lightning in a bottle recently, but the guy was a Michael Johnson classic from being 0-3 to start his UFC career. The guy is just too easy to hit, and refuses any sort of tactics.

This is the second best fight at LW in my opinion; below Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov and above Poirier vs. Ferguson.

I think Gaethje would knock Ferguson out, due to Ferguson's porous defense and tendency to take big shots - getting dropped by Pettis isn't a good sign. Ferguson also got hit a lot by Cerrone.

A combination of devastating leg kicks (Gaethje traded leg kicks with Barboza lol) and a of power in every one of his strikes, leads me to believe that Gaethje is a dangerous fight for Ferguson and would likely put him out. Ferguson doesn't have dangerous one-shot power, but he is great at setting a high pace for five rounds.. but isn't very consistent with his defense, and early on, his chin is always there to be cracked.

Especially now at 36, - I think prime Gaethje would have beaten Ferguson up; however, Ferguson gets put to sleep in 2020 by Gaethje if they were to fight.

Thoughts?

<SelenaWow> And you wonder how Tony ever got to 25-3 taking big shotz with porous defense..? Maybe because he has this uncanny ability to roll away from you and end up God knows anywhere bedside, behind, you with a elbow on the ready Tony turned breakdancing into a martial art..?

Gaethje moves like a Frankenstein yes he has power, wrestling, a good chop kick, but he can't time "El Cucuy" Justin gonna catch a sharp elbow, knee, head kick, I think he stumbles on the end of one of Tony's sharp points and either bleeds out, taps out, or get knocked out, either way I bet Tony..

tumblr_og86h5qTIc1u2ragso1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Poirier beat Gaethje less than two years ago. Before you claim MMA math, remember that Eddie Alvarez also beat Gaethje. What literally happened is that Poirier defeated Alvarez, Alvarez defeated Gaethje, and...
Poirier defeated Gaethje
So in this case, it is not like rock-paper-scissors.

The true argument is whether you believe Poirier would defeat Ferguson. Poirier defeated Holloway, but got a good fight out of him. Some people argue Ferguson is a significantly superior version of Holloway in every way, and one that also has elbows. In other words, if Poirier barely defeated Holloway, then he'll likely lose to Ferguson. As such, Ferguson defeats Gaethje as well.

Actually, what the fuck logic am I trying to apply? This is common sense. ALL 3 opponents that Gaethje has defeated since he last lost have been on LOSING streaks/had had terrible records in their last fights. Vick? He's 1-4 in his last 5 fights. Barboza? He's 1-4 in his last 5 fights. He's 2-3 in his last 5 fights. I seriously don't know who came up with this narrative that Gaethje is indestructible, but people keep echoing it without even bothering to read between the lines. Ferguson has been combating mostly killers for 12 fights.

Thoughts?
Gaethje better hope he finishes tony in 1.5 rounds cuz after that it’s all tony..

Tony would slice and dice him en route to a bloody, standing stoppage in the 2nd or 3rd. Gaethje would probably drop him a couple times in round 1, though.

He would leave the cage victorious in a pool of his own and Gaethjes blood. How he got there no clue

Back