How would Cormier/Couture have gone @ LHW?

dc tossed hendo and barnett around like a rag doll, knocked out big foot silva ( something mark fucking hunt couldnt do), dc would wreck randy couture.

Other than maybe wrestling I don't see how Cormier is more evolved..

Mostly I did mean wrestling, but there is a little more to it.

I mean it like...so you look at swimming. The best swimming times from even 20 years ago pale to the best ones in modern times. Part of that is because of all of the advancements the great swimmers of the past made. So while Mark Spitz was a legend, if you time traveled him to present day, he wouldn't be competitive with most of the world. Randy at his time was a legend, and he deserves a lot of credit, but I don't think prime Couture would be able to compete against a guy like Cormier simply because guys like Cormier are standing on the shoulders of the greats of the past and building on the success these guys laid.

dc tossed hendo and barnett around like a rag doll, knocked out big foot silva ( something mark fucking hunt couldnt do), dc would wreck randy couture.

you make it sound as if mark hunt knocks people out all the time. hunt has 1 ko in the last 8 years lol.

people are underplaying cotures wrestling though, he was a phenomenal wrestler. he would hold his own in that category better than anyone dc has ever faced. i see dc winning fairly easily but it would not be easy for dc to ragdoll coture.

Oh you had to didn't you :icon_neut

It's not a slight at fedor, I think Fedor would knock Coutre out if they fought its just a matchup issue. Couture is leagues above fedor in wrestling and particularly stronger in the clinch. These attributes bode better against a fighter like DC.

Pains me to say it at as a huge couture fan

...But dc wins pretty easily via handspeed/boxing....he's got the wrestling to negate coutures...and he's waaaay faster

Randy was a stud in his time, but given the evolution of the sport, Cormier is ahead of Couture.

LOL at someone calling a wrestler who controls guys an example of the "evolution" of the sport. DC is like a flashback to the 90's.

Couture always had trouble against big grapplers.

LOL at someone calling a wrestler who controls guys an example of the "evolution" of the sport. DC is like a flashback to the 90's.

Couture always had trouble against big grapplers.

Lesnar was a flashback to guys like Kerr, Cormier is clearly more advanced than that and as has been said I think he edges Randy in most areas accept standup power where he clearly trumps him by alot.

Mike Van Arsdale was the better wrestler as well and that turned out to be one of the sickest wrestling displays in an MMA fight.. love that fight.. Randy's boxing was legit too..

Right on. And Id say its debateable if Cormier is/was actually a better wrestler than 2003-04 Randy. Since the TS asked about a fight Il put more weight in MMA wrestling, but even in pure wrestling its kinda tricky to say DC was better than Randy because although they both wrestled in all styles, DC was mainly freestyle and Couture greco. At LHW they are about the same size overall with Randy being a bit taller but DC being a bit stockier. DC is a bit more explosive with his hands and his wrestling and Randy is all about pressure and smothering control with his hands (dirty boxing) and his clinch/TD game. In pure wrestling they are both INSANELY credentialed.

Randy Couture-
HS State Champ in a tough tough state (Washington)
3 time all american in college DI at Oklahoma State
2 time finalist in the NCAA DI championships
Gold at the Pan Am Games (the better of the Pan Am titles)
Gold at the Pan Am Championships
4 time Senior National champ in greco
4 time world team trials champ in greco

Daniel Cormier-
3x HS State champ in Louisiana (weak wrestling state)
2x JUCO national champ
1 time all american in NCAA DI
NCAA DI finalist same year
gold at pan am games
gold at pan am championships
bronze in greco cadet world championships
bronze in freestyle senior world championships
6 time senior national champ
5 time world/olympic trials champ

Like I said, both insanely accomplished wrestlers, a slight edge goes to DC overall. In a MMA fight between the 2 in their primes I say its a toss up. The irrestable force (DC) vs the immoveable object (Couture).

Same as vs Hendo.

But Couture is considerably bigger and a MUCH better wrestler in an MMA setting. Randy also has a way more extensive background and training in submission grappling than Hendo does.

Back