How would a Roman gladiator fare in the UFC?

Where the hell are people getting the idea that gladiators were poorly trained and out of shape, or that they wouldn't be athletic enough to compete? Doesn't make any sense. We're talking about the best gladiators, who would've been in great shape and very well trained athletes.

They were in good shape. But they had body fat to take blow from sharpe weapons.

Alessio Sakara already showed you...

....seriously, they'd get smashed.

Listen, Ronda Rousey literally beats Spartacus and his entire slave army in like 30 seconds flat. For real, that's how fuckin good this chick is.

She beats me, you, that guy over there, and a Colosseum full of lions. That's what we're dealing with here. She's literally the most highly trained death machine to ever have walked the earth.

He loses badly. 2000 years ago, men and women were smaller/shorter than today.

Total BS. During the dark ages but before that people were bigger than we are now. I've seen skeletons with armor on them that were gigantic from back in the day.

Not well

• He's probably screw up and get DQed doing something illegal that he's used to
  • Fighting in a cage is way different than a huge sand arena
  • 8 weeks of good training and nutrition won't undo a lifetime of mediocre training, nutrition, and medicine

What makes u think training to defend your life, to effectively kill your opponent, in multiple disciplines with multiple weapons, against multiple opponents, not to mention humans & wild animals, without a referee & cage side doctor, made u come to the conclusion that their training was mediocre?

Not well

• I don't think gladiators used much kicking or submission holds, and you're not teaching those in 8 weeks
  • Unless he fights in the only division that isn't bullshit, he's going to fight with a huge size disadvantage or almost no weight cutting experience, neither of which would go well

If u had any knowledge whatsoever on Pankration, u would know that it was already a complete martial art with striking, take downs & submission holds (Yes, MMA already existed 2000 years ago, we're merely rediscovering it!)
You're a black belt noob & I bet u still have no idea why the UFC pays homage to ancient Roman Gladiators in their old intro

If u had any knowledge whatsoever on Pankration, u would know that it was already a complete martial art with striking, take downs & submission holds (Yes, MMA already existed 2000 years ago, we're merely rediscovering it!)
You're a black belt noob & I bet u still have no idea why the UFC pays homage to ancient Roman Gladiators in their old intro

That's the thing, people often think progress moves in a linear fashion with time, but often times we forget things that were known about long ago and redevelop it later. There were lots of things people were as good or better at doing thousands of years ago than they are now.

Not well

• He's probably screw up and get DQed doing something illegal that he's used to
  • Fighting in a cage is way different than a huge sand arena
  • 8 weeks of good training and nutrition won't undo a lifetime of mediocre training, nutrition, and medicine
  • I don't think gladiators used much kicking or submission holds, and you're not teaching those in 8 weeks
  • Unless he fights in the only division that isn't bullshit, he's going to fight with a huge size disadvantage or almost no weight cutting experience, neither of which would go well

Yes the average human was smaller back then. They were not average and came from all over. Including scandinavian countries.

They fought lions, bears, and each other to the death! The death was the entertainment they were the show but the still went to the death. To call them fat showmen is making light of the fact that most were slaves and fought to the DEATH!!!

If only they actually fought to the death(!!!) though.

One gladiator could end years of boring decision fights.

Back