How would a Roman gladiator fare in the UFC?

I think it would be more interesting to put a modern MMA fighter in a pankration fight against an ancient expert in pankration.

I think it would be more interesting to put a modern MMA fighter in a pankration fight against an ancient expert in pankration.

Much closer fight, agreed.

He would lose, and lose badly. It would not even be close, the strength and conditioning and athleticism of the modern athlete would make this a man vs boy fight

How heavy was those roman shields? You have to be really strong to carry those things and fight or walk many miles a day. Who is better fighters? Roman soldier or gladiator?

Now there's a new thread idea, just vice/versa that shiznit!
Thing is, we may never know how effective the true martial art of ancient pankration really was, as I assume modern pankration is based upon images/texts from ancient, decayed ceramic vases & what not

Not well

• He's probably screw up and get DQed doing something illegal that he's used to
  • Fighting in a cage is way different than a huge sand arena
  • 8 weeks of good training and nutrition won't undo a lifetime of mediocre training, nutrition, and medicine
  • I don't think gladiators used much kicking or submission holds, and you're not teaching those in 8 weeks
  • Unless he fights in the only division that isn't bullshit, he's going to fight with a huge size disadvantage or almost no weight cutting experience, neither of which would go well

Now there's a new thread idea, just vice/versa that shiznit!
Thing is, we may never know how effective the true martial art of ancient pankration really was, as I assume modern pankration is based upon images/texts from ancient, decayed ceramic vases & what not

Yeah, there a ton of info on it from ancient writers and historians. It was in the Olympics for a thousand years. Strategy-wise, they were on point with many ancient "gameplans" being used in modern combat sports. They knew what was effective, what is still effective. Their training methods were by and large similar as well.

Roman Gladiators were all fat showmen, their fighting wouldn't have fared very well in real combat as it was all about entertainment.

They were the professional wrestlers of Antiquity.

He loses badly. 2000 years ago, men and women were smaller/shorter than today.

Gladiators where huge men. They trained to have meat on their bones. Historians compaire their bodies to pro wrestlers. A little research next time would do you some good.

He loses badly. 2000 years ago, men and women were smaller/shorter than today.

Oh no Han Solo, don't you read the forums here? Size means absolutely nothing, it is only skill that matters. They could be smaller than Mighty Mouse but if they are skilled they will beat any big guy.

Roman Gladiators were all fat showmen, their fighting wouldn't have fared very well in real combat as it was all about entertainment.
Roy-Nelson.jpg

brock-lesnar-workout_display_image.jpg

Errr... You were saying?

They fought lions, bears, and each other to the death! The death was the entertainment they were the show but the still went to the death. To call them fat showmen is making light of the fact that most were slaves and fought to the DEATH!!!

Oh no Han Solo, don't you read the forums here? Size means absolutely nothing, it is only skill that matters. They could be smaller than Mighty Mouse but if they are skilled they will beat any big guy.

They were not small men!

Yeah, there a ton of info on it from ancient writers and historians. It was in the Olympics for a thousand years. Strategy-wise, they were on point with many ancient "gameplans" being used in modern combat sports. They knew what was effective, what is still effective. Their training methods were by and large similar as well.

Speaking of the Olympics...
They got rid of Pankration & now they're getting rid of Wrestling.
In less than another 1000 years, it will have absolutely nothing to do with the sports they were founded on!

hmm I'd take the guys with swords and other nasty weapons over pretty much any fighter today.

Where the hell are people getting the idea that gladiators were poorly trained and out of shape, or that they wouldn't be athletic enough to compete? Doesn't make any sense. We're talking about the best gladiators, who would've been in great shape and very well trained athletes.

Just a fun thread idea that I hope is worth the discussion...

- Travel back 2000 years & bring back one of the best gladiators from that time period, eg: let's say Spartacus (factual) or Maximus (fictional)

- The gladiator, who is a master @ both armed/unarmed combat, will already have a great base for MMA (boxing + pankration = already well rounded)

- Put him in an 8 week crash course/training camp & bring him up to scratch in all facets of modern MMA, as well as the unified rules & of course, no killing! :D

How do u see him fare?
- Does he even get past experienced low tier modern MMA fighters?
- Will it all be dependent upon the athlete & the training camp?
- Can a warrior from a different time period conform to the discipline of the modern era?

Please share your thoughts...

DQ for something

Back