How will Machida fare at MW?

Stixx

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing how fast and strong he will be at MW compared to LHW. Lyoto was one of the smaller LHWs, weighing in at 201 against Bader, so I think he will handle the weight cut just fine. He will also likely be a little bit faster and at the same time lose a little strength, but considering the beasts he fought at LHW, I think he will be very strong for the division and still one of the fastest.

Combined with his sumo background, great bjj and high level of striking, he will be a force to be reckoned with for grapplers and strikers alike. I'm excited to see what he can do at MW!

Top 3 or top 5?

He might be the next champ @ 185 who knows, this is what im thinking

I think he needs to beat Munoz to really make waves, but I expect him to do well. I think he pretty immediately becomes a contender if he wins, maybe not #1 contender, but up there for sure.

If his weight cut goes well, only Weidman is a threat to him. He'll be even faster than he was at LHW, and he won't be significantly outmatched in size/strength by most of the guys like he was at LHW (even Rashad, who has also talked of going to 185, looked significantly bigger than Lyoto when they fought.)

Really, the only guy at LHW smaller or the same size as Lyoto is probably Dan Henderosn.

It will be pretty uneventful, just like his last three years at lhw.

I think his strength and speed will be great at MW. I also think he matches up very well with all the contenders at MW. I can't wait to see this.

He might be the next champ @ 185 who knows, this is what im thinking

It depends if Silva beats Weidman though. IIRC didn't Silva and Machida both go on record saying they won't fight each other?

I think he has a chance to win the belt if Silva loses the rematch. IMO Silva wins the belt back though

Great. Besides Weidman and maybe Belfort I don't see anyone else who can beat him in this division. Machida has a decent chance to win the title the only problem is he's getting up their in age as he's now 35.

It depends if Silva beats Weidman though. IIRC didn't Silva and Machida both go on record saying they won't fight each other?

Yes, they did.

I think Weidman and Jacare (mostly Weidman) might be too much for Machida, but we will see.

If his weight cut goes well, only Weidman is a threat to him. He'll be even faster than he was at LHW, and he won't be significantly outmatched in size/strength by most of the guys like he was at LHW (even Rashad, who has also talked of going to 185, looked significantly bigger than Lyoto when they fought.)

Really, the only guy at LHW smaller or the same size as Lyoto is probably Dan Henderosn.

Interestingly enough Dan Henderson isn't even a big MW, and Lyoto won't be either. He walks wet-weight for LHW at 202-204, which people like Belfort, Carmont and Vemola cut from higher to make MW. Now that Lyoto trimmed body fat (not really any muscle, as he is just calorie restricting gently to cut) he will walk in the low 190's for his cut, which will be roughly 10-12 lbs. That is a small cut for any weight class. Regardless, I think he will be one of the swiftest MW's to grace the UFC, and he will easily be the #2 to Anderson's #1 should he recover the title. So long as Anderson continues fighting in the division, Lyoto will be the killer of the division, unmatched by anyone but unable to fight the champion due to personal reasons.

If Rashad drops, it will add intrigue to the top 5 / next champion discussion.

I think he needs to beat Munoz to really make waves, but I expect him to do well. I think he pretty immediately becomes a contender if he wins, maybe not #1 contender, but up there for sure.

And yet when Weidman beat Munoz, many people said it meant nothing....

I think the only real threat to machida would be jacare,

and i dont think they would fight

Who really knows? I hope he does great, but he's getting old.

At least Munoz is a good match-up for him on paper.

Machida could beat anyone at MW as well as the champion.

His problems are age, not fighting Jacare/Anderson, and the lack of aggression against people lately could cost him fights he should win.

And yet when Weidman beat Munoz, many people said it meant nothing....

I wasn't one of them. In any case, I was more making the point that losing his first fight at MW is terrible way to try and build momentum.

Back