How will Jon Jones operate under the new rules?

By going 75 in a 35

Like nobody here has ever gone over the speed limit before. haha Everyone goes exactly the speed limit, that just happens to be decades old. With newer and faster cars, speed limits need and should also be increased. Makes no sense to have these extremely slow speed limits.

same as always
decimating opponents
solidifying GOAT status

real question is, how will gus do now that he cant rely on his eye pokes to win fights

I honestly dont understand how eyepokes happen that often if theyre not intentional.

I'm 6'3 with very long reach and I palm at my sparring partners all the time bit I've never poked anyone in the eye or seen an eyepoke happen at the gym.

After watching all PRIDE events I concluded that eyepokes in the UFC are lot more intentional because PRIDE had very few eyepokes, if any, during those years. A clear difference is that a lot of fighters in Pride would hold their hands in a fist rather than keeping them open like we see in the UFC with some fighters like Jon Jones and Travis Browne to name a few. In the UFC it seems to be more "trendy" or "tactical" to move around keeping your hand open so you can "measure distance" and perhaps prevent your opponent from engaging by sticking your fingers out.

Like nobody here has ever gone over the speed limit before. haha Everyone goes exactly the speed limit, that just happens to be decades old. With newer and faster cars, speed limits need and should also be increased. Makes no sense to have these extremely slow speed limits.

The thread is about Jon Jones not people on Sherdog.

How many people here (by a show of hands) have crashed a Bentley and slammed a rented SUV into a pregnant woman's car, (breaking her arm) while they or may not have been intoxicated?

6-12 elbows now allowed, he should avenge his former loss to Matt Hamill in dominating 6-12 elbow fashion.

But now that extending fingers towards opponents is a foul, do you think Jon will have severe gameplan consequences, considering he eyepokes often and uses his fingers extendeD?
I thought you were talking about rules regarding driving.....

What I don't get is the clavicle thing...

Jones will keep being Goat.

I honestly dont understand how eyepokes happen that often if theyre not intentional.

I'm 6'3 with very long reach and I palm at my sparring partners all the time bit I've never poked anyone in the eye or seen an eyepoke happen at the gym.
Too many of them don't extend their wrist when palming, or at least not enough. Which is a good way to jam a finger even if you weren't near the eyes. It could be that some fighters actually lack wrist flexibility as well. But that can usually be resolved through some effort in stretching. Eye pokes are nasty, I'd love to see them crack down on it to get fighters thinking.

After watching all PRIDE events I concluded that eyepokes in the UFC are lot more intentional because PRIDE had very few eyepokes, if any, during those years. A clear difference is that a lot of fighters in Pride would hold their hands in a fist rather than keeping them open like we see in the UFC with some fighters like Jon Jones and Travis Browne to name a few. In the UFC it seems to be more "trendy" or "tactical" to move around keeping your hand open so you can "measure distance" and perhaps prevent your opponent from engaging by sticking your fingers out.

I agree, IMO when fighters realize their is no punishment for having fingers extended it lends them a huge advantage, why? Not necessarily because of the eye poke, but because of the fact that their opponent knows that in order to close distance they have to almost force themselves to be eye poked, or look away from their target. It's an unfair advantage used to keep range because the effects are significant.

The glove design in PRIDE likely helped keep it somewhat at bay. Not that it would solve the problem completely in the UFC, but it might help.

DSC041360002.jpg~original
DSC041340004.jpg~original

The glove design in PRIDE likely helped keep it somewhat at bay. Not that it would solve the problem completely in the UFC, but it might help.

I want to believe, but I honestly think that most of the pokes comes from the strategy (jones uses, which is one of my fav fighter) that employs a range finder with an open hand. It's something that is happening more and more as mma separates itself from nhb- this point/game plan strategy way of fighting. It definitely works (as we've seen), but if fighters were more aggressive (takes two to tango most times too) and were actually fighting instead it wouldn't happen. On the flip side- Maybe the raking that would occur with the pride glove wouldnt actually get the eye and wouldve scrape across the brow (skip the eye) and down the face? Anyone have slow-mo footage from several pride fights as proof?

I thought they were in only one region or something

I think it would definitely help. Just make the gloves black, and a UFC logo on them and there you go: new more pratical gloves and the amount of eyepokes we see today would definitely diminish over time.

I think it would definitely help. Just make the gloves black, and a UFC logo on them and there you go: new more pratical gloves and the amount of eyepokes we see today would definitely diminish over time.

I think Bellator tried some gloves like that and like 3 people ended up getting poked.

Fouling for extending the fingers is gonna end up ruining a lot of fights. People focus on Jones because they dislike him but lots of fighters do it. Most guys spar with boxing gloves on so if they open their palm to get away nothing happens. When you switch to open finger gloves then that changes things.

The eyepoke is a much bigger blow to him. He uses it to keep distance. Old habits are tough to break.

Wow lol. That's clearly intentional.
yeah and he keeps doing it over and over, like an eye poke every second. gotta wonder why glover didn't move outta the way after 4 minutes

they finally got rid of that stupid rule? Now just make at least knees (or even better soccer kicks) to a downed opponent legal and we have something

The eyepoke is a much bigger blow to him. He uses it to keep distance. Old habits are tough to break.
so you're saying they got rid of the stupid vertical elbow rule and pledged to enforce eye pokes?

Back