How well do you think ufc 246 is being marketed?

moogie101

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just interested in sherdogs opinion as here in the UK none of my casual mma fans have mentioned the fight and the few I've asked about it didn't even know Conor was fighting this Saturday.

Only advertising I've seen for it is a short TV ad on bt sports as it's on ppv.

Is it being promoted heavier in the USA?
Are the ufc relying too much on Conor to sell this like his previous fights?
Have the casuals got bored and moved on?

I think the numbers are going to be a lot lower than people expect.

Not too well.
Conor is pretty much the only MMA fighter a lot of my casual fans know and other than the Khabib fight they didint know he was fighting this weekend.
That being said, i think the PPV will do well and better than most other PPVs especially considering the card pretty much sucks.

Tbh, pretty poorly.

+ The card s*ck

The UFC sure bet on McGregor being enough to draw ppv's.

Curious to see the number next week.

I mean, they aren’t pumping up the advertising right now but the videos and articles being posted about it seem to be getting eaten up. I think the better question is if the lack of marketing will impact the ability to sell the card.

I barely hear about it. There is none TBH. i think the UFC is just hoping Connor by himself is enough. They will learn they need to promote all the fights more

Conor managed to become a rich guy after capitalising on his casual fan base. The issue with having a casual fan base is that they’re the first to lose interest when you’re no longer winning, or in Conor’s case no longer even fighting.

His star has fallen, no doubt about that. I would usually have casual fans trying to talk to me about his fights but I haven’t heard a single person mention this one.

Poorly. Once the people running things start marketing their sport as a business, it's over. Too much "money fights" and interim belts ruined it. They also caved to drug testing pressures and started kid-proofing everything right around the time Reebok became a partner.

UFC is dying basically.

The only commercial I have seen for it is that terrible "Guess who's back" that has been on ESPN a few times. I feel like there's none of the buzz that was there for the Khabib/Floyd/Diaz fights.

I barely hear about it. There is none TBH. i think the UFC is just hoping Connor by himself is enough. They will learn they need to promote all the fights more

I think you are on the right track. I see Dana using this as a win/win scenario always ending in his favor. If Conor by himself can sell he's got a legit cash cow back in his stables which is exactly what I think ESPN was banking on from the start. That will now give Dana more operating leverage to be able to offer more incentives to his fighters and will it will burst the current profit model for at least the next year or two in a positive fashion.

On the other hand if it doesn't sell big numbers he still has the biggest name in MMA back for showcase and he can use that against Conors and any other fighters overinflated demands for more pay, which of course is going to make the big wigs content that they can rake in profits at a relatively low cost.

I haven't seen shit captain.JCNID.jpg

ESPN has been blasting commercials. They aired a promo during the College Football Championship.

Tbh, pretty poorly.

+ The card s*ck

The UFC sure bet on McGregor being enough to draw ppv's.

Curious to see the number next week.
Maybe Dana (and this is some Eddie Bravo level hunch) thinks he may be able to control Conor better if this PPV sort of flops. The gate sold out but it doesn’t seem to have caught any traction. ESPN has been promoting it but that’s the only channel where I see ads for it. ( That’s close to free ad time) They should have done a presser but I’m sure Conor said he didn’t want to and they just said okay. What’s the co-main event? is Jim Crute fighting?

Against Khabib it was water-cooler talk....

Just interested in sherdogs opinion as here in the UK none of my casual mma fans have mentioned the fight and the few I've asked about it didn't even know Conor was fighting this Saturday.

Only advertising I've seen for it is a short TV ad on bt sports as it's on ppv.

Is it being promoted heavier in the USA?
Are the ufc relying too much on Conor to sell this like his previous fights?
Have the casuals got bored and moved on?

I think the numbers are going to be a lot lower than people expect.
the fight is low key because everyone knows the fix is in and they want to keep betting downl…imagine if the casual fan knew the fight was fixed in conor's favor and everyone bet on Conor...people are to lose money

Piss poor and I think it’s to gauge how much draw power Conor still has. Only commercial I’ve seen for 246 we’re on Hulu and ESPN. Also they linked Conor with Eminem music in the commercial. hope the curse holds up.

Back