How well do you like your boss?

I don't have a boss, but my direct supervisor is completely awesome.

I've got a couple of them. I think the one I deal with most frequently is completely incompetent. Doesn't know what the company actually does, doesn't care, but still won't let those that do make the decisions. Only reason we're still in business is that we're basically the only game in town.

My first three years out of law school the managing partner of the firm I worked at was the fucking devil. Ten months ago I left and went to a different firm. I love my current boss.

Mostly like my boss. Couple of things that have become annoying about him over time, but i can't complain.

My boss takes us out drinking about once a month. Plus He's just a good dude.

Cons- Can engage in micromanaging, is unbelievably, impossibly condescending and dismissive, is excessively by-the-book in many things.

Pros- Is actually pleasant when in a good mood, is away often so I can duck out early... like today. I got about 1 hour of Sherdoggin' to do and then I'm out.

If you're a doctor or on the track to be a higher position in the company, then sure the big bosses take care of you. But the rank and file and pretty much everyone else is shat on. Shooting the shit isn't the same as actually caring about you. If it came down to it, you'd be looking for a new job. I may sound cynical but my experiences aren't as bad as all that. I'm just amazed you people have such a positive view of upper management, and Dana in particular considering the way he's treated fighters.

You focus on me shooting the shit, but you miss the parts where I said they've gone to bat for me at times. And I'm no doctor. You don't have to be a doctor in a hospital to have desired skills.

Also, I've clearly laid out why I have a positive view of upper management. Again, unless there's evidence suggesting otherwise, my position on the people who outrank me will remain firmly under "good".

My boss is pretty awesome, always looking out for her employees. She's a Marine, pretty level headed.

He's my homie, we're very similar and we both work in offices by ourselves, about 3 blocks away from each other

I don't really see them (3) that often. Many in my office dislike them, but they haven't gave me a reason to dislike any of them. They leave my office alone and rarely come around unless there is a reason.

I work in the UK, and have never met mine, because he lives in the US. Met his predecessor a few times, and she was a stupid cow. This one seems okay, though, but it's only been a few months, so we'll see...

My current boss is the best I've ever had. We pass vicodin around to each other. We talk about getting fucked up (not just alcohol), going to strip clubs when we have to visit other locations. I leave 30 minutes early every single day and he doesn't care. All he says as long as I don't have to hear about it I don't give a shit.

Basically he just wants shit to get done and not have to hear complaints about us fucking up. His boss is like his BF and he's pretty much the exact same way. Told me about how he meet his wife rolling on X all kinds of shit.

I work in the UK, and have never met mine, because he lives in the US. Met his predecessor a few times, and she was a stupid cow. This one seems okay, though, but it's only been a few months, so we'll see...

I have no idea why but whenever someone calls someone else a stupid cow it has me rolling.

In her defence, she had some decent top bollocks on her, but they did little to compensate for her personality and general incompetence.

Good and bad.
Some days I want to choke him to death. (Not literally)
Some days he doesn't show up at the office.

i love my boss. the guy doesn't bother me, so long as i get my work done. he let's me take days off when i need them. couldn't ask for a better boss.

As a person, I like my manager. Nice enough guy. As a manger, I do not like him. He does not understand the work his team does (that drives me crazy), does not realize who is and who is not getting the work done, and refuses to deal with a coworker that no one wants to work with

You focus on me shooting the shit, but you miss the parts where I said they've gone to bat for me at times. And I'm no doctor. You don't have to be a doctor in a hospital to have desired skills.

Also, I've clearly laid out why I have a positive view of upper management. Again, unless there's evidence suggesting otherwise, my position on the people who outrank me will remain firmly under "good".

You hit it on the head, you have "desired skills" to make them some damn money so the higher ups "care about you". And going to bat for you to help you advance is not the same as going to bat to help you clean up a mess you made. I'm happy for you that you have a good situation with your job and management. My work situation is actually pretty nice too. Pay is decent, my manager leaves me to take care of business with minimal supervision, and the work is steady and easy. But I won't confuse corporate niceties like profit sharing and tuition reimbursement with management actually caring about me or anyone else besides themselves.

Last edited:
i love my boss. the guy doesn't bother me, so long as i get my work done. he let's me take days off when i need them. couldn't ask for a better boss.

How about when things go bad? That's the true test of a boss. Will he throw you under the bus, cut ties with you, or go to bat for you? How about when there are layoffs or undesirable assignments? What kind of boss will you think you have then?

Back