How weird is it watching former elites getting destroyed by nobodies

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
There was a point in time when Joe Silva called a fighter and said "You want to fight Gray Maynard" or "You want to fight Thiago Alves"....you pretty much knew you were fucked. These dudes were fucking dudes up, Alves had brutal finishes over Matt Hughes, ran through Josh Koscheck, finished Lytle, destroyed Karo....and was thought to be the one to take GSP out. At LW, Gray Maynard put whoopings on Frankie Edgar, made Kenny Florian look helpless, shut out Nate Diaz, made Guida go from a brawler to a runner, and beat up Jim Miller.

It's weird watching Gray Maynard lose to bums like Ryan Hall....a guy he woulld have ate up just 6 years ago...or Thiago Alves losing to a LW. It's not like the sport has evolved past them...because there best years were only 2009-2011...so not that far ago. Prime Alves and Maynard would still be in the top 10 in todays UFC. It seems like as time goes by and losses start to pile up...they lose that ability to pull the trigger and try to finish guys like they were once known for. They go from being killers to normal people again. It's a weird transition. Guys like Hendricks are next

all a part of the fight game.
Anderson Silva was what some idiots would call a "nobody" when he dummied Rich Franklin.

all a part of the fight game.
Anderson Silva was what some idiots would call a "nobody" when he dummied Rich Franklin.

Yeah Anderson went on to achieve greatness. Thiago's loss to Story, Miller, Kampmann...those guys havent gone on to achieve greatness. Especially Maynards recent losses to Hall, pearson, Yaklevov or how ever you spell his name

Not really. Time beats everybody. It's undefeated ;)

Jake Lamotta was a bad dude but im sure i'd hold my own against him today

Its the nature of the sport.

Not really. Time beats everybody. It's undefeated ;)

Jake Lamotta was a bad dude but im sure i'd hold my own against him today
I saw jake in 2013 at the boxing hall of fame. That guy cant win any fight haahah i bet him just sitting there in the sun and not dying was a struggle.

There was a point in time when Joe Silva called a fighter and said "You want to fight Gray Maynard" or "You want to fight Thiago Alves"....you pretty much knew you were fucked. These dudes were fucking dudes up, Alves had brutal finishes over Matt Hughes, ran through Josh Koscheck, finished Lytle, destroyed Karo....and was thought to be the one to take GSP out. At LW, Gray Maynard put whoopings on Frankie Edgar, made Kenny Florian look helpless, shut out Nate Diaz, made Guida go from a brawler to a runner, and beat up Jim Miller.

It's weird watching Gray Maynard lose to bums like Ryan Hall....a guy he woulld have ate up just 6 years ago...or Thiago Alves losing to a LW. It's not like the sport has evolved past them...because there best years were only 2009-2011...so not that far ago. Prime Alves and Maynard would still be in the top 10 in todays UFC. It seems like as time goes by and losses start to pile up...they lose that ability to pull the trigger and try to finish guys like they were once known for. They go from being killers to normal people again. It's a weird transition. Guys like Hendricks are next
Its great? lol... I love seeing new guys come up and evolve, the 09 era were around for way too long & the top 10s barely changed up back then & now they're constantly switching around

Its refreshing and nice to know that's how it SHOULD be from here on out

All the heroes get old and the game passes them by. Such is the sport.

sizedRizzoKOsTank.gif

:(

Was a close decision actually far from a destruction

Alves is a frustrating case. Has so much ability and violence,but he hasnt had half the career he should have had

Of course they're diminished compared to then, but the Hall fight was more frustration and lack of ring smarts than decline.

The UFC and UFC fans call anybody half decent elite. If they are not very good at all, then they pick something about them to call elite.

I'm in agreeance with most here that say, "It's a part of the game." Especially in MMA, age plays a huge factor. It's crazy to think that guys like Thiago Silva and Rousimar Palhares were serious contenders just years ago and are now getting knocked out by Teddy Holder and Michał Materla. Time makes mortals of us all.

It's just as bad in Boxing with guys just not knowing when to hang the gloves up. Bernard Hopkins got fucked up in his last fight and it's even more of a relief he's now retired. Same with Roy Jones Jr, but he's still going.

The sport has evolved a lot since 2010. I wouldn't be too sure that prime Alves and prime Maynard would be top 10 today.

Poor Miesha was the first person I thought of when I saw the title, although "destroyed" wouldn't be the word but losing to Rocky like that :(

It's a sad sight to see. Most don't know when to quit until it's too late.

You watch the sport long enough and you get used to it. Shogun, Big and Diet Nog, Cro Cop, Chuck, Randy, Matt Hughes, Wanderlei...it's part of aging.

Back