How Weight Classes Should be Structured

Protagoras

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So this thread has been done a thousand times, but I believe I’ve got the best take on it.

This is how the weight classes should be structured:

Start at 125 and go up by 10lb increments:

125 Flyweight
135 Bantamweight
145 Featherweight
155 Lightweight
165 Welterweight
175 Middleweight
185 Light Heavyweight
186+ Heavyweight w/ No Cap

Basically you gain more weight classes in the more talent rich weight ranges, and severely reduce the number of weight classes in the talent depleted weight classes.

Realistically, most of the guys currently fighting at 185 and 205 are walking around in the 215 - 225 weight range, which is the ideal HW weight size where you can have a decent strength and cardio balance.

Of course you will always have some monsters in the HW weight class, but it has been proven there is a real limit on the returns you get by going up and up in weight, once you go over the 250lb mark.

Your forgetting super duper light heavyweight.

I'd add in a 200 just for shits and giggles.

I disagree.

Weight classes should increase by percentage of mass, not arbitrary 10 pound increments. First, we need to eliminate weight cutting so people actually fight at their weight. Then the classes can be:

145 and under: Featherweight
145.1 to 156.6: Lightweight
156.7 to 170: Welterweight
170.1 to 183.6: Middleweight
183.7 to 198.2: Light Heavyweight
198.3 to 214: Cruiserweight
214.1 and higher, no upper limit: Heavyweight

The increase is 8% greater than the previous classes limit.

So this thread has been done a thousand times, but I believe I’ve got the best take on it.

125 Flyweight
135 Bantamweight
145 Featherweight
155 Lightweight
165 Welterweight
175 Middleweight
185 Light Heavyweight

Basically you gain more weight classes in the more talent rich weight ranges, and severely reduce the number of weight classes in the talent depleted weight classes.

Realistically, most of the guys currently fighting at 185 and 205 are walking around in the 215 - 225 weight range, which is the ideal HW weight size where you can have a decent strength and cardio balance.

Of course you will always have some monsters in the HW weight class, but it has been proven there is a real limit on the returns you get by going up and up in weight, once you go over the 250lb mark.

Just stop. Not happening.

I disagree.

Weight classes should increase by percentage of mass, not arbitrary 10 pound increments. First, we need to eliminate weight cutting so people actually fight at their weight. Then the classes can be:

What are you going to have people start getting into water tanks to measure their total mass?

I think weight is a reasonably adequate method of measurement.

I disagree.

I have so many questions.

Why 8%?
Do you really expect people to target fractional pounds as a weight class?
How are you going to stop weight cutting? No one has been able to do it so far. (OneFC doesn't count for shit because they dont make test/weight results public)

In 50 or so years once MMA has a lot more talent, the classes are probbaly gonna be like this for the men:

266+

But that's a long way away

125 Flyweight
135 Bantamweight
145 Featherweight
155 Lightweight
165 Welterweight
175 Middleweight
185 Light Heavyweight

I actually agree that 186+ would work, but I imagine it'd be hard getting that past an atheltic commission. It's just too much of a hassle to do now.

But considering guys who would be modern MWs like 213lbs Prime Cro Cop and 5'8 Randleman wrecked shop at HW, I see no reason why guys like Israel, Romero and Costa should be protected against Stipe, Ngannou and DC.

In 50 or so years once MMA has a lot more talent, the classes are probbaly gonna be like this for the men:

266+

But that's a long way away

That's exactly what they are today under the unified rules, besides Super Heavy.

UFC just hasn't recognized them

Strawweight 115 lb (52.2 kg)
Flyweight 125 lb (56.7 kg)
Bantamweight 135 lb (61.2 kg)
Featherweight 145 lb (65.8 kg)
Lightweight 155 lb (70.3 kg)
Super lightweight 165 lb (74.8 kg)
Welterweight 170 lb (77.1 kg)
Super welterweight 175 lb (79.4 kg)
Middleweight 185 lb (83.9 kg)
Super middleweight 195 lb (88.5 kg)
Light heavyweight 205 lb (93.0 kg)
Cruiserweight 225 lb (102.1 kg)
Heavyweight 265 lb (120.2 kg)

I have so many questions.

Why 8%?
Do you really expect people to target fractional pounds as a weight class?
How are you going to stop weight cutting? No one has been able to do it so far. (OneFC doesn't count for shit because they dont make test/weight results public)
8% because it's a solid amount that closely resembles the current classes, and it keeps the ratio the same for everyone, instead of it being arbitrary. 108% mass in a gravitational field is an objective thing, "10 pounds" is not a real thing.

We can test by doing hydration tests, and weighing them both on weigh ins and right before they step into the cage. They need to be within 5 pounds of the weigh in weight when they step into the cage and they need to pass the hydration tests.

8% because it's a solid amount that closely resembles the current classes, and it keeps the ratio the same for everyone, instead of it being arbitrary. 108% mass in a gravitational field is an objective thing, "10 pounds" is not a real thing.

We can test by doing hydration tests, and weighing them both on weigh ins and right before they step into the cage. They need to be within 5 pounds of the weigh in weight when they step into the cage and they need to pass the hydration tests.
So what happens when you start getting fights cancelled because a fighter misses weight by a half pound on his way to the cage? The opponent is ready to go, the guy is perfectly healthy, he made weight the night before, but he maybe he forgot to piss before he walked out or something. You just tell the fans they're shit out of luck?

That's dumb and you know it.

So what happens when you start getting fights cancelled because a fighter misses weight by a half pound on his way to the cage? The opponent is ready to go, the guy is perfectly healthy, he made weight the night before, but he maybe he forgot to piss before he walked out or something. You just tell the fans they're shit out of luck?

That's dumb and you know it.
I meant that if you are say fighting at middleweight (170.1 to 183.6) and you weigh in at 181 the day before at weigh ins, then you are allowed to be up to 186 on the next day when you step on the scale before getting into the cage. And because your hydration was tested the first time, you aren't going to be getting more that 1 or 2 pounds at most in either direction within a ~24 hour period anyway.

The point overall is to get fighters to maintain a weight that is towards the center of the weight class they fight at. So if you want to make a career at middleweight, you're going to maintain a weight around ~177 pounds, and NOT try to be as close to the upper bound of weight, as you will miss weight and lose a big part of your purse.

Then everyone will fight people within 4 pounds or so of each other so weight advantages go away (no one who naturally has an easier time cutting more weight than others even get the opportunity to use this ability), and no one has to go through the stupid, health damaging process of weight cutting.

Back