How Weak is Cerrone's Will?

You know, in that Nate Diaz fight Cerrone suffered an 8-10 round to Diaz, getting absolutely obliterated. He didn't come back to win the fight, but he did come back to win a round and was doing much better after that first round. He just didn't have the skill to beat Diaz.

This is a great point. People use that gif of Diaz giving him the finger and Cerrone kinda taking it to prove Cerrone doesn't have heart, but Cerrone took his beating early in that fight and was still game in the later rounds. He lost, and he lost hard, but Cerrone was tough against Diaz.

Very

3bo70xa8f3y61.jpg

100%. Questioning a fighter’s heart should require a much higher standard of evidence.

It seems like in a lot of his losses he was outmatched & got blown out of the water. Rashad was also a good wrestler with much more punching power & Jon Jones is arguably the greatest of all time. Earlier in his career he had difficulty defending submissions especially the triangle choke. He seemed to make fundamental mistakes in the second round a lot of times & got tapped.

So weak he had to pretend to make nice with his opponents because he sh*ts himself in grudge matches

This might be his best win actually. I forgot about that fight. Now that you mention it I can’t believe he beat Alvarez.

but yes this was before Eddie won the UFC title. Good mention by you
Yeah I forgot about it as well, kind of a bad loss for Eddie. He has a lot of bad losses tho lol

I'm trying to think of a time where Cerrone got hurt and survived to win and I can't think of any. Whether it's early in his career or now he wilts under any diversity. Seems to be broke a lot even before the fight starts but especially if he gets hit with a good shot. He turtles up and back peddles till the fight is stopped. No going out on your shield, not take down attempt, seems to give up anytime he gets hit with a good shot. He really needs to retire. I think it will take a lot for the UFC to cut him because he's a company man but he's not even a test for younger guys which was his role in the UFC after being past his prime.

View attachment 853394
If your brain is scrambled, "will" has nothing to do with it. That's a fucking meathead take on it.

View attachment 853402

He did on one scorecard. I forgot that it was debated, but the point is he went from being a punching bag in round 1 to leg kicking Nate and throwing him to the ground in round 2.

And that's relevant to this thread. Instead of quitting, Cerrone got stronger through that fight, even though he was on the losing end.

Cerrone got pieced up by Varner in their first fight and was coming back very strongly when the fight was ended by a foul.

I think his circuit board is just fried. His reaction time is non existent. I'll go as far as saying it's just dangerous for him to return. Hes just going to take more damage that will have its effects later in life.
Morono was just winding up over hands and connecting on a stationary face/ head of Cerrone. Almost tough to watch.

Was Cerrone ever good enough to beat top fighters. I don’t remember him ever beating a top guy at their peak.

he loses every big fight he’a been in. And when he beats a big name they’re on the slide. Like benson Henderson.
The ufc has marketed him well. And this is a company who is notoriously bad at marketing fighters.

Cerrone gets cracked and not seemingly wobbled, just hit good and gets a "fuck this shit" look on he face and turtles backing up.
I distinguish between not having heart (i.e., not having the will to fight) vs not having a chin/durability. Overeem and Ceronne types always seemed to have a ton of heart to me. . . but once their concussion-addled brain (or Cerrone's liver) get sneezed on they curl up and defend like they're stunned. If they didn't have heart, they wouldn't still be trying to do it all these years later.
Should Cowboy retire? Yes (although preferably after an easy fight. . . if such a thing exists for him in the UFC at this point). Do I think he lacks heart? Absolutely not. Not everyone is built like an iron tank unfortunately. It's a lot easier to "have heart" when you can eat a shot without being stunned or wobbled.

The Brown fight was a tough one for him where he ate big strikes and won. I believe he got rocked by Guillard and won. Barboza was landing big and he came back and won. Alvarez wasnt the easiest fight.

Was Cerrone ever good enough to beat top fighters. I don’t remember him ever beating a top guy at their peak.

he loses every big fight he’a been in. And when he beats a big name they’re on the slide. Like benson Henderson.
Eddie wasn't on the decline. Aside from that it depends on what you call a top guy. Iaquinta was ranked #4.

Bad stand up defense. Zero head movement, stationary target and open for body shots when he covers his head.

Sometimes he shows up and does nothing as if he was paid to lose. Not normal.... I get Legit feelings of him taking a dive for UFC as do many others and it would make sense.

Maybe it’s not question of heart but rather I’m sick of seeing this guy show up for a paycheck.

He did manage to do it against Alvarez, Barboza and Lawler as well.

Back