How we know that evolution is real

Can a person believe in creationism and evolution? Like can a person believe there is a god but also believe in evolution? I'm not speaking to any particular religion but the idea that there is a god. Do evolutionists have to be atheists?

A person can believe what they'd like. More specifically regarding evolution and the existence of a higher power, many very well educated scientists who believe in evolution also believe in a higher power. And, more clergy members than you might think believe in evolution.

Can a person believe in creationism and evolution? Like can a person believe there is a god but also believe in evolution? I'm not speaking to any particular religion but the idea that there is a god. Do evolutionists have to be atheists?

No, of course not. I've argued this numerous times. It's entirely possible to view evolution as [random deity / supernatural power depending on specific religion]'s work / tool.

Heck, I pointed out how insanely huge the universe is, and let's think about it - why would an omnipotent force have to create 'finished' versions of men and animals when time is irrelevant to it? If evolution is the tool of a deity, it's pretty cool.

There are plenty of Christians (and also Catholics - this seems to be a dichotomy on here) who will agree. Only the thing is that the evangelical type that likes to argue on here belongs to a pretty radical the-letter-is-the-law fraction of Christians that is more prevalent in the US bible belt than elsewhere.

Most major religions take the formal position that evolution does not contradict non-literal religious views. The main exceptions are religious fundamentalists, primarily islamic and christian fundamentalists.

Because scientific knowledge decreases how much of the universe available to be explained by the supernatural, many of those religious groups that "accept" evolution do so with stupid caveats about direct intervention in the process (e.g. catholicism). They have to do that though because non-literal interpretations fundamentally fall to god-of-the-gaps problems and increasing triviality.

Why do so many people think that "theory" in terms of science means "something that I guessed about without evidence."

Theory in scientific terms is NOT the same word as theory would usually be. "It's only a theory" in scientific terms is "It's only a hypothesis", a theory in science refers to something that has been strongly supported by evidence that we more or less KNOW is actually a thing... like gravity, or wind resistance... or evolution.

Gravity is a law not a theory

Most major religions take the formal position that evolution does not contradict non-literal religious views. The main exceptions are religious fundamentalists, primarily islamic and christian fundamentalists.

Some Muslims take the route of 'accepting' the evidence (even agreeing it's overwhelming), but stating that this is God's test of how strong their belief is.

"It sure looks like it, but only because God makes it look that way to see whether we are misled by science."

At least this stance accepts that it's not rational and entirely founded in religion, whereas the Christian creationist type typically tries to discuss stuff they are lightyears away from understanding (and wanting to understand, for that matter) in order to try and poke holes in the argumentation and say "See, this is why your theory is flawed".

Hugh Ross comes to mind.

Sure, evolution does not comment on how life began just what happened after. Abiogenesis is a different bio-chemical theory all together. All of the catholics I know believe in evolution.

Sure, evolution does not comment on how life began just what happened after. Abiogenesis is a different bio-chemical theory all together. All of the catholics I know believe in evolution.

They wouldn't have 50-100 years ago.

Everytime science proves them wrong, the bible bashers are forced to move the goal posts.

Gravity is a law not a theory

Laws are contained under the umbrella of the scientific theory they belong to.

Another poster in a different thread used this great analogy:

A scientific theory is like a house, where facts, laws, and all other knowledge on the subject are the bricks of that house.

I cannot prove to you that God exists and you cannot prove to me that macro evolution exists (Changing from one kind of animal to another kind of animal like a dog into a rhinoceros)

Not surprisingly, you've got a completely incorrect idea of what constitutes macro evolution. Of course, if you get all your information on evolution from Ken Hamm, you'll get that.

Not surprisingly, you've got a completely incorrect idea of what constitutes macro evolution. Of course, if you get all your information on evolution from Ken Hamm, you'll get that.

No, I actually listen to Kent Hovind.

A convicted felon and a proven liar.

Great source.
Kent was put in prison by a corrupt judge who sent some teachers to jail for praying in school. One of Kent's prosecutors committed suicide shortly after for being a pedo while he got caught going to meet a 10 yr old girl.

A convicted felon and a proven liar.

Great source.

That's one big, great conspiracy off course, same as with abortionists and the whole gay thing. All meant to exterminate the christians and welcome the devil to earth. Or something along those lines, I forget.

Edit: beat me to it.

Kent was put in prison by a corrupt judge who sent some teachers to jail for praying in school. One of Kent's prosecutors committed suicide shortly after for being a pedo while he got caught going to meet a 10 yr old girl.

The war room is great because in under 100 posts you can go from talking about how small changes from environmental pressures over time produce changes in individuals and groups to a conspiracy to remove Christianity so the Devil can rule the Earth.

He was put in prison for not paying taxes. It's not complex or a conspiracy. He's pretty open about not paying taxes. And he's possibly even dumber and more delusional than Ken Hamm, if that's even possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back