How was the 1st The Hangover so good, and the other 2 so very very bad?

same thing over and over again.... What comedies sequels were better than the first? Very few...if any .. Probably have to go back to the 80's to find any.. ( Christmas vacation better than vacation.. One of the NERDS or police academy movies.)

The first one is really good. It's funny, it's a really good buddy movie, and I'll stop and watch it whenever I see it on. It's just enjoyable for the most part. The 2nd one? Not unwatchable, but not good. Not even close to being good. The 3rd one? Completely unwatchable steaming pile of shit. Makes me want to throw my tv out the window. So wtf went wrong? It's the same group of guys, and some very similar shit they get into, but none of the sequels had whatever the first one had, and I'm not even sure what that is, but they didn't have it. Why'd that franchise go so horribly wrong?

The 2nd one is great, and I like it more than the first.

Happens every time you see too much of the same character. They "evolve" into shitty caricature versions of the original version. Alan went from being a loveable quirky guy in the first movie to being a full blown retarded asshole by the 3rd one.

same thing over and over again.... What comedies sequels were better than the first? Very few...if any .. Probably have to go back to the 80's to find any.. ( Christmas vacation better than vacation.. One of the NERDS or police academy movies.)
I thought Anchorman 2 was better than the original (which didn't set the bar very high, but still).

Other than that, comedy sequels sucking has been a tradition. Even in the 80s you had series like the Naked Gun gradually decaying.

I thought Anchorman 2 was better than the original (which didn't set the bar very high, but still).

Other than that, comedy sequels sucking has been a tradition. Even in the 80s you had series like the Naked Gun gradually decaying.
Really? I turned Anchorman 2 off after about 15-20 minutes/// I dont know why, couldnt stand it.

I honestly thought the first was overrated too. It was a slightly novel take on the Bro-road trip comedy, but frankly, it is *far* from the top of that sub-genre.

Really? I turned Anchorman 2 off after about 15-20 minutes/// I dont know why, couldnt stand it.
It was generally more well-received than the first iirc but it wasn't a blow out by any means.

First was a success.

Then they tried for two cash grabs by repeating the exact same formula.

"They liked it... Give them Moir if the same!"

Classic Hollywood.

Obviously, most jokes tend to be less funny the second time you hear them.

Never saw the big deal with the first movie. It sucked. Didn't bother with the sequels.

Hangover 2 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Didn't waste my time or money on the third one.

Smart man. The 3rd one is 100x worse than the 2nd one.

was the third one the cluster fuck that had Paul Giamatti (SP?) in it?

No it was the clusterfuck that had John Goodman in it.

Never saw the big deal with the first movie. It sucked. Didn't bother with the sequels.

I actually had the same opinion when I first saw the 1st one. But for whatever reason it really grew on me and it's kind of a classic to me now.

Happens every time you see too much of the same character. They "evolve" into shitty caricature versions of the original version. Alan went from being a loveable quirky guy in the first movie to being a full blown retarded asshole by the 3rd one.

He was always retarded. He drugged them for Christ's sake.

Alan was the problem. His jokes and stupidity got old and he started getting creepy.

Even in the first he was almost pushed too far but it worked nonetheless.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would for about the first hour and twenty. I thought there was some real solid stuff there and it was fun to see Ferrell, Carell, Rudd, Koechner, and Applegate back in those roles. Some stuff fell flat, but a lot of the jokes landed pretty well.

But when it got to the final stretch- around when Ron starts living in a lighthouse after going blind- it really lost a lot of momentum.

Still I'd go 6.5-7/10 without hesitation.

22 Jump Street struck me as a comedy sequel that was about on par with the original- slightly less but still quality.

Naked Gun 2 1/2 is funny.

I feel like Wayne's World 2 is an underrated comedy sequel. Del Preston- hilarious. Scene with Harry Shearer as Handsome Dan and Ted McGinley as Mr. Scream, funny. Walken- always clutch.

I thought all 3 Hangovers were right about the same level of quality, never understood why some people think 1 was so far above the other 2. I probably enjoyed 3 the best, if I had to pick. Sue me

I thought all 3 Hangovers were right about the same level of quality, never understood why some people think 1 was so far above the other 2. I probably enjoyed 3 the best, if I had to pick. Sue me

I dunno. I simply found the first one to be a much funnier. For me I think it was the surprise/random factor. The first one felt wacky and off the wall but the second one retreaded a lot of the same ground so instead of laughing out loud I'd see something, chuckle and think "oh yeah like in the first one, heheheh". I haven't seen the third one.

Son of Mask was better than the first Mask.. JK haha

I'm not a huge fan of Zach Brachilaifnadfklajfljka whatever his name is.

Back