How was brock allowed to fight Mir in his first UFC fight

Because he's a whiteboy and is friends with Jack. Deal with it. (Jack works in the commision)

I didn't know Mir was a replacement. I actually thought the UFC was trying to do him like they did James Toney and give him the worst possible style match-up to embarrass him and make him seem like he didn't belong.

Honestly I'd give any HW a punchers chance against Arlovski these days.

More to your point though, I think with enough publicity and $$, yeah, I'd bet Dana could get that fight lisenced.

Edit: I'm loving the idea of Beastmode in the octagon the more I think about it.
think it might be possible UFC could have bribed NAC to get brock his lisence?

Kone nailed it. Plus, Mir was a replacement opponent for Brock. Originally it was supposed to be Lesnar vs Mark Coleman

Heath Herring was the replacement for Mark Coleman, that was the fight after Mir

hmm..your username makes me curious.. no but seriously do they have any professional criteria for giving out license to fight?

Of course they do. They dont sanction fights all the time when he's seemed one of faaaaar better than the other. But lets face it, when you look like Brock Lesner looks for most of the life, you're gunna get a license to fight -- even if you suck at it, and he does.

5 words Pop U La Ri Ty
That and he had the collegiate wrestling creds to make it convincing

Look at the fuckin guy, he is a gorilla. Legit backround in wrestling and he fought once outside the UFC and had a dominating performance.

CM Punk is the one who shouldn't have been allowed to fight, no backround in anything, no fights and a soft ass body.....everyone knew what was gonna happen there

what's the surprise? they had to match him up with a bum

Pantheon of amateur wrestling gods. And pro wrestling gods. That's how.

Brock-Lesnar-speaks-to-the-media-during-the-UFC-200-Press-Conference.jpg

JBL/JBG approved wrestling god.
Wrestling God, just like mebork1}

think it might be possible UFC could have bribed NAC to get brock his lisence?
Personally I think the UFC is still underground enough that bribes occur all the time. Licensing, missed weight, early medical releases, catch weight bout agreements. I think rules are bent and broken for money. Not trying to slander, just my opinion.

Mir had looked awful before that fight. He was 2-2 since returning from his accident, getting destroyed by a LHW Vera and a nobody Cruz. His wins were against 2 UFC newcomers. I don't even think he was a top 15 HW at that point.

He made an amazing run after that fight, but at that point many thought he was on his way out.

CM Punk is the one who shouldn't have been allowed to fight, no backround in anything, no fights and a soft ass body.....everyone knew what was gonna happen there

CM Punk was a beast, he even showed off his excellent kicking technique on WWE TV. The commission had no choice but to let this animal get in the cage.

S1YFsAw.gif

CM Punk was a beast, he even showed off his excellent kicking technique on WWE TV. The commission had no choice but to let this animal get in the cage.

S1YFsAw.gif
His striking was truly devastating but it was his submission skills that really terrified his foes
S6uTYvK.gif

I hate Brock as much as anyone, but youre talking about a guy who was a NCAA athlete and had been in sports his whole life.
no, TS has a point. being "in sports" means nothing when it comes to mma - even if you have a wrestling background. if you don't know what you're doing yet in a cage fight you can get seriously hurt and brock was totally, totally unproven.

i agree with TS that it was highly irresponsible for them to give him a ufc fight at that point, much less give him a BJJ shark / ex champ like Mir. hindsight is always 20/20 and history proved otherwise but at the time it was BS.

and yes I felt the same way about punk (obviously). james toney at least had an elite fighting skill when he went in but even that was borderline.

so marshawn lynch could get a lisence to fight arlovski if he wanted?

Is Marshawn still healthy, and under NFL contract? He would have to be retarded to come to MMA.

Yes, Ray "Elevator left" Rice could come int the UFC and face A.A. in his first ever MMA fight, and likely headline a non PPV UFC card.

Dana knew the right persons and it paid off.

I hate Brock as much as anyone, but youre talking about a guy who was a NCAA athlete and had been in sports his whole life. Sure, he wasnt a fighters, but its not unbelievable that someone who looks like Lesnar gets a fight like that early on.
That's not how it works. They don't give licenses based on looks.

His striking was truly devastating but it was his submission skills that really terrified his foes
S6uTYvK.gif
Can you imagine if he'd locked up that 'reverse armbar'?

Back