How was Anderson Silva considered GOAT when he had no legit ground game?

The guy who lost his fight before this one?
Henderson lost a decision that could've went either way against a Rampage who had one of the best performances of his career.

Jesus. Now people are actually trying to say that Hendo wasn't in his prime against Silva? Jeeesus.

Henderson lost a decision that could've went either way against a Rampage who had one of the best performances of his career.

Jesus. Now people are actually trying to say that Hendo wasn't in his prime against Silva? Jeeesus.
Why are you saying Anderson Silva could beat every UFC fighter in a 400 vs 1 match in his prime?

See what I did there? I just did what you did

Hendo was prime, juiced, and in the middle of a really solid run with few setbacks. An awesome win for spider especially considering he hurt him badly with strikes, out positioned him on the mat and choked him out.

He was a top-notch striker, no doubt. But he always had known weakness. You knew he was in trouble when a good wrestler takes him down. I always believed GSP had legit arguments as GOAT more than Silva. Even Jon Jones has better arguments with how well-rounded his game is, whether stand up striking or wrestling/BJJ.

Like most fighters on Sherdog, he is either severely overrated or underrated. For a good portion of his career, Anderson's grappling was nothing special. It definitely got better over the years, to where you definitely could call him good off his back and solid at stopping guys from taking him down. However, when comparing someone like Conor who is constantly criticized for having ZERO ground game, is he actually any better? In regards to age, certainly not. And although Anderson is historically better from bottom, the inverse could be said in regards to Conor on top compared to Anderson.

We also have to keep in mind Anderson did not face the best fighters, in particular wrestlers. When he went up in weight against the great DC, he was easily put on his back. It will be telling to see Conor faces the same fate at the hands of the other AKA monster. This is something to keep in mind as well!

Why are you saying Anderson Silva could beat every UFC fighter in a 400 vs 1 match in his prime?

See what I did there? I just did what you did
You tried to discredit the win by saying that he came off a loss. The reality is, he was coming off of a razor thin decision that didn't go his way against one of the top p4p fighters in the world at that time.

In Hendo's last 3 fights before Silva he'd beaten Belfort and Wanderlei and essentially fought to a draw with Rampage.

There's a big difference between not getting the nod in a close decision and actually getting decisively beaten in a fight. It seems like you never even watched these fights from that time.

I'd love to have a gif of when Andy blasted Chael with a punch from off his back, right before the triangle. It rocked Chael so badly lol he feared them after that.

30:30 mark in this video

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Anderson_Silva_vs_Chael_Sonnen_Full_Fight_UFC_117_Replay/10181382
That shit was fucking brutal too. I’ve never seen someone land a punch off of their back with such force. Anderson had a very unique ground game in which many people still can’t fully understand

LOL Silva submits hendo, who had only been submitted in his prime by Big Nog.

Yet haters say: "he never fought any good wrestlers and had a poor ground game"

24axutu.jpg

And you have to understand who Dan Henderson was at the time.
came here for this

LOL Silva submits hendo, who had only been submitted in his prime by Big Nog.

Yet haters say: "he never fought any good wrestlers and had a poor ground game"
You can prove a Silva hater wrong and they will still uphold a lie.

They are like Trump supporters in that regard.

Where's a face palm gif when you need it?

That shit was fucking brutal too. I’ve never seen someone land a punch off of their back with such force. Anderson had a very unique ground game in which many people still can’t fully understand

It's honestly astonishing he generated that much force in that position. His shoulder comes off the mat like 6 inches, that was the king of arm punches. Add that to the wizardry of him matrixing Vitor's punch from his back.

I mean, he's not winning Mundials but that's not what his grappling is for. His MMA grappling is definitely elite.

It's honestly astonishing he generated that much force in that position. His shoulder comes off the mat like 6 inches, that was the king of arm punches. Add that to the wizardry of him matrixing Vitor's punch from his back.

I mean, he's not winning Mundials but that's not what his grappling is for. His MMA grappling is definitely elite.
Oh definitely. I wouldn’t bet on him in any BJJ competition but the way he was able to adapt his game for MMA was crazy.

These kids will learn... or not, fuck em.

Anderson had very good, but not great, BJJ. Dumb thread is dumb.

How exactly did he have no legit ground game?

Submitted Dan Henderson, an Olympic wrestler.
Submitted Chael Sonnen, an All-American wrestler.
Submitted Travis Lutter, an accomplished BJJ black belt under Carlos Machado.

His ground game obviously isn't bad at all.

He was a top-notch striker, no doubt. But he always had known weakness. You knew he was in trouble when a good wrestler takes him down. I always believed GSP had legit arguments as GOAT more than Silva. Even Jon Jones has better arguments with how well-rounded his game is, whether stand up striking or wrestling/BJJ.

Oh definitely. I wouldn’t bet on him in any BJJ competition but the way he was able to adapt his game for MMA was crazy.

These kids will learn... or not, fuck em.
Oh they won't. Conor, Kevin Lee, and Coby Cringington are GOATs to them.

Back