How was Anderson Silva considered GOAT when he had no legit ground game?

But Anderson didn’t lose a fight (at MW) by GnP, or even by decision to LnP.
He lost because he got KO’d, and broke his leg.

Cormier could have done what he did to Anderson to any MW, but it would be much worse.

Anyway, not sure you’re arguing in favor of the OP, but I disagree with the OP.

He got absolutely handled by Chael for 5 rounds. Chael just happened to have a weakness to triangles getting subbed by everyone and their Grandma.

If someone else with Chael-esque wrestling with some half decent sub defence like say Prime Rashad I think they could have got the job done.

TRT Hendo lost to Juiced up Anderson.

Roided up Hendo early 2000's > TRT Hendo
Hendo said he was all natty during Pride and only took advantage of the pain killer shots the Japs provided, he only started taking TRT later on thats why he was looking more jacked.

Let’s list all the times he was submitted or defeated via ground and pound in the UFC:

He got absolutely handled by Chael for 5 rounds. Chael just happened to have a weakness to triangles getting subbed by everyone and their Grandma.

If someone else with Chael-esque wrestling with some half decent sub defence like say Prime Rashad I think they could have got the job done.
Chael had one of the best double legs in MMA at the time and was juiced to the fucking gills. Anderson still submitted him even with injured ribs.

Funny. Rashad turned down a fight with Anderson so you obviously had more confidence than he did lol

Not sure if youre saying hes stalling here therfore id assume you have little to 0 mma knowledge or atleast 0 in bjj and maybe you only wrestled and think his shoulders are down his shoulders are down... But silva is ben full mounted in pic and guy on top aint doing shit while he is showing the world skill in defending and not taking dmg

So he’s stalling?

what goes through some of these posters heads when they make these shit threads? god damn some of you are stupid as fuck.

He was a top-notch striker, no doubt. But he always had known weakness. You knew he was in trouble when a good wrestler takes him down. I always believed GSP had legit arguments as GOAT more than Silva. Even Jon Jones has better arguments with how well-rounded his game is, whether stand up striking or wrestling/BJJ.
That is a very stupid argument by a blind fanboy who is ignorant and have no clue of reality.

Silva is a legit Black belt in BJJ.
He rather stay standing, since he has an amazing stand up game.

but that does not mean he was not good on the ground.

Only real ignorant fuckheads would make such statement without checking first.

He was a top-notch striker, no doubt. But he always had known weakness. You knew he was in trouble when a good wrestler takes him down. I always believed GSP had legit arguments as GOAT more than Silva. Even Jon Jones has better arguments with how well-rounded his game is, whether stand up striking or wrestling/BJJ.

Bahahaha.

Zero likes for the thread starter.

40+ likes (as of me posting this) for the first reply.

You'll be the only clown on Sherdog who claims MMA was already peaked in the early 00s. You're a clueless Pride fanboy with no sense of reality.

Let me tell you something about Allan Goes' roots that proves my point. Goes is a couple of years older than Silva. His first MMA fight was in the mid 90s, Anderson was already having full contact Muay Thai fight around the same time and soon turned pro in MMA too. Anderson fought in the 90s, the entire 00s, the early 2010s all the way up to now. He's had ups and downs but him and his BJJ evolved all the way from the 90s up to today. Allan Goes never evolved, he got KO'd in every defeat and was unable to cope with his so called 6th degree BJJ so he retired at an age when Anderson was still extending his title defense streak record.

You have a very small brain it seems, bud. Like your IQ is kind of low, you don't know how to properly quote posts and you pick a few lines to respond to and your posts are very messy in general. Like you're going on about Stiebling when that very same post mentioned Daniel Cormier, a LHW beast of a wrestler he faced.

My own IQ has dropped by entertaining your nonsense about Allan Goes. Nobody cares about Goes and he's irrelevant in this discussion. Sit down jr.
"clueless Pride fanboy" "kid" "IQ"..lmao

Im actually a Pancrase/Rings fan...But keep diggin´...

Legit lol, you´re easily one of the biggest jokes here in this forum.

I already double-checked you once about you having a very limited knowledge of the MMA scene back then...
You even admitted that you didnt watch Royce vs Takada...(!)..

So how can you talk that big?

loloool.png

Im equally 100% convinced that most of the OGs in this forum dont care about your rants...since it´s obvious that you dont know shit about this game.

Now about, Goes... His era had nuthin to do with Spider´s...
Carlson knew him when he was a teen (16, IIRC) and he was already competing in BJJ tournaments by the end of the 1980s...
His career started much b4 than Spider...but Im afraid you dont even understand what Im talkin´about...
He didnt have the right NHB/Vale Tudo oportunities in the 1980s or 1990s coz he was either still a rookie, or coz of the lack of opportunities due to the limitations of the market...

Now, being KOed during a GNP by a much heavier monster like Coleman cant be compared to the DC vs Spider fight under the Unified Rules, this... is a no-brainer, but a clueless bum like ya will never understand this simple thing.

You only keep spittin´ your BS, while Im giving you facts:
@ Pride 13, a new rule was set: The four-point rule was removed. This clearly favoured wrestlers like Coleman, and non-wrestlers were slowly adjusting to it... Even Hendo acknowledged it in his interview, so who cares about your shitty opinion?

Now, being KOed during a GNP is one thing. But what happened to Spider (Hespect to him, though), vs Takase, was pure schooling: was a slick,a very smooth transition from a straight armbar to a triangle choke, by a LW while Spider was a fake WW.

[wont even talk about Chonan, since the transition there was not that 'problematic' if you want to truly assess his groundgame...BTW, Spider was already with BTT then]

Remember: the Spider fight was btw the Rodrigo Gracie & the Schembri fights, for Takase : 2 very good BJJ dudes.
and Takase couldnt do the same thing to them on the ground...

Now, let me ask you: how many Goes´fights did u watch, except the short Coleman one?

Do us a favour:go watch his fights, see how he schooled SAKU GOAT, even though was ruled a draw.
This fight opened his eyes about how to deal with a BJJ guard.
Technically, SAKU started his preparation for the Gracies/Vitor fights after this one, where Allan showed some creative & innovative striking from the bottom.
Now you´re saying that Spider´s BJJ and overall groundgame is much more evolved than Allan´s?
Ask yourself: Can Spider even pull a legit kneebar attempt?
Spider´s groundgame is good but limited and oportunistic, in Chuteboxe he neither had Assuerio Silva´s leglocks arsenal, nor Shogun´s scrambles on the ground...
Have you ever seen Spider attempt an armbar?kneebar?omoplata?heel hook?

Hey, ya know, when you dont know shit:

shhh.jpg

Last edited:
Because he beat the shit out of everyone in his division for years?

While true, he almost never got tested by fighters with amazing take down and GNP skills. I think GSP at a catchweight would have wrecked him. GSP would have had a rough time at 185 though

This is what I mean. Nobody is going to read this mess kid. Lay off the use of space button. Yes I know you got triggered again because I exposed the fact that Pride was heavily scripted and your idols were phony pro wrestlers. Go get somebody else to debate this with me, somebody who can actually talk.
tbh I think the Enson example destroyed ya..

Anderson has a great ground-game and y'all are posting in a troll thread.

No legit ground game. Taps out Chael Sonnen and Travis Lutter from guard. OK.

Oh wait you mean lay and pray stall and wall yes silva didnt do this he always wanted to finish his fights silva had something called skill that he used to his advantage and his weakess would be a guy who would wait the clock out hugging matches and stallers.. Via is main losses like DC good point jerrys kid
I love Silva, but I was there when he fought Thales Leites....

He was the champ for seven years. If this imaginary wrestler you have in your head didn't have time to come along during that time, maybe he just doesn't exist.

I see your point.
Yes, he got handled by Chael.

Rashad fought his entire career at 205, and his cardio was always suspect as the fight reached the 3rd round.

Chael was a special case, as far as cardio goes.
Most guys who want to wrestle to a decision lose steam over 25 minutes. Especially guys of Silva’s size, who could comfortably make MW.

But if you’re saying that there were 205’ers that could have wrestle-f’d him, yes, of course I agree.

That was the best version of Hendo ever, TRT + KOd Wand and fought Rampage to a close fight
Not sure about the best, we has terrible gun shy still agaisnt Rampage, Wanderlei had a fever infection... \Strikeforce Dan was probably the best, after koing bisping he really got tons of Faith in striking and it showed up.

That is too much of a blanket statement

Weidman took Silva down in both fights. Given he knocked him out standing in the first fight, dropped him in the first round of the second fight and then had the fight stopped due to the leg injury, I'd say he took him down as much as he felt he needed to.

I get what you’re saying. We are talking specifically about wrestling now, fact is he stuffed more takedowns than he got taken down.

Back