How unpredictable is MMA compared to other sports?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So we hear all the time how unpredictable sport MMA is and how that un-predictableness makes it so much more exciting.

I'm just wondering how unpredictable MMA really is compared to other sports. For example, baseball. I don't see nobody talking about how unpredictable baseball is as a sport, but I feel like baseball is like 10 times more unpredictable than MMA to predict outcomes for. It's ridiculous.

Admittedly, I watched incomparably more MMA and spent just as much more time thinking and talking about MMA compared to baseball. But my impression still is that baseball seems to be incredibly more unpredictable than MMA.

I'm not saying MMA is necessarily predictable, but compared to baseball, it feels like baseball is just so much more unpredictable. In baseball, even the greatest pitcher with the greatest line up could lose to a triple-A mostly line up and a rookie pitcher, and the pitcher might just say afterwards "I just didn't have it, next one we go!", after getting shelled 10-2.

Mmm I can correctly pick three outta fifty fights or so

Last edited:
Well just 2 weeks ago, all but one underdog won their fight on the main card of a fight night event. This sport is near impossible to get good parlays on.

No other (non-combat) sport can a competitor be winning the entire match but suddenly lose to "inferior" opponents.

You don't watch baseball, do you

You don't watch baseball, do you
By suddenly I mean very, very quickly. You can only score 4 runs max in one swing but that doesn't mean you win. Silva locking Chael in a triangle or Lewis knocking out Volkov are infinitely more sudden victories by the losing fighter than anything in baseball.

By suddenly I mean very, very quickly. You can only score 4 runs max in one swing but that doesn't mean you win. Silva locking Chael in a triangle or Lewis knocking out Volkov are infinitely more sudden victories by the losing fighter than anything in baseball.

Sudden doesn't mean more shocking man.

New York was winning by seven runs then lost with a grand slam in the nineth against the best closer. That's more shocking than Lewis knocking out Volkov by hundred times.

What's so shocking about Lewis knocking about Volkov anyways? lol

You could be worse at wrestling,striking,jiu jitsu etc than the other guy and still win somehow. If you just manage to mix A,B,and C at the right time,you can make magic happen. Its the beauty of the sport,and the heartache.

Sudden doesn't mean more shocking man.

New York was winning by seven runs then lost with a grand slam in the nineth against the best closer. That's more shocking than Lewis knocking out Volkov by hundred times.

What's so shocking about Lewis knocking about Volkov anyways? lol

Because Lewis is objectively an inferior striker compared to Volkov and he was being beaten for 3 rounds, 4 minutes and 50 seconds before landing one punch that won him the fight. Had he won in the first, second, or even third round it would just be another regular fight.

Either way, every sport has their upsets. Racing has winners too that win due to surprising reasons when they normally wouldn't have. It just happened last weekend in F1.

Last edited:
You could be worse at wrestling,striking,jiu jitsu etc than the other guy and still win somehow. If you just manage to mix A,B,and C at the right time,you can make magic happen. Its the beauty of the sport,and the heartache.

Somehow as in a haymaker, if you are down in A B C and getting beat up, usually the only way other guy win is haymaker or some sub. Not that suprising anymore.

You know what's incredibly shocking?

San Diego was losing to nationals by EIGHT freaking runs. The relief pitcher who was making his debut hit a GRAND SLAM home run against one of the greatest pitchers of all time and they came back and won.

Nothing that I've seen in MMA comes even remotely close to how shocking that was.

The greatest shocking shit that I've seen in MMA has to be Cosplay guy against Aoki. I don't think ANYTHING comes close to, though I'm sure betting odds weren't available for that one.

Not Serra. Not Dillsnake. Not Sojkoudou. Not Werdum. And etc etc.

Still that doesn't even remotely come close to how absurd and shocking it was that a debuting relief pitcher hit a grand slam over Scherzer and came back from 8 run down.

That my friend is the very definition of insanity.

Because Lewis is objectively an inferior striker compared to Volkov and he was being beaten for 4 rounds, 4 minutes and 50 seconds before landing one punch that won him the fight. Had he won in the first, second, or even third round it would just be another regular fight.

Either way, every sport has their upsets. Racing has winners too that win due to surprising reasons when they normally wouldn't have. It just happened last weekend in F1.

Yeah shocking, but is it really that shocking at heavyweight with Lewis

Well, the best NFL teams mostly go something like 13-3, 14-2, 15-1... I think most of the "unpredictable" stuff in MMA is you don't know how a fight will end

Somehow as in a haymaker, if you are down in A B C and getting beat up, usually the only way other guy win is haymaker or some sub. Not that suprising anymore.

You know what's incredibly shocking?

San Diego was losing to nationals by EIGHT freaking runs. The relief pitcher who was making his debut hit a GRAND SLAM home run against one of the greatest pitchers of all time and they came back and won.

Nothing that I've seen in MMA comes even remotely close to how shocking that was.

The greatest shocking shit that I've seen in MMA has to be Cosplay guy against Aoki. I don't think ANYTHING comes close to, though I'm sure betting odds weren't available for that one.

Not Serra. Not Dillsnake. Not Sojkoudou. Not Werdum. And etc etc.

Still that doesn't even remotely come close to how absurd and shocking it was that a debuting relief pitcher hit a grand slam over Scherzer and came back from 8 run down.

That my friend is the very definition of insanity.
No it is not just a haymaker. You are just biased against MMA for the sake of it in this argument. Fuck baseball,what about guys legs breaking in half? Cyborg's skull shattering to a flying knee? Fedor casting phoenix down in real life after getting randleplexed halfway to the shadow realm? Lawler's lip torn in half and it turning him on?

The Cosplay fighter (Yuichiro Nagashima) was not that shocking to me,because I knew Aoki's reckless dives could cost him against a guy adept with knees.

No it is not just a haymaker. You are just biased against MMA for the sake of it in this argument. Fuck baseball,what about guys legs breaking in half? Cyborg's skull shattering to a flying knee? Fedor casting phoenix down in real life after getting randleplexed halfway to the shadow realm? Lawler's lip torn in half and it turning him on?

The Cosplay fighter (Yuichiro Nagashima) was not that shocking to me,because I knew Aoki's reckless dives could cost him against a guy adept with knees.

LMFAO.

It's pretty predictable. Usually, theres only 3 to 5 persons per division that can possibly beat the top guy.

For sure, when two guys that are close to each other, it's hard to pick a winner, but you don't see a lot of big upset, at least a lot less than in most team sport

I'd seen him fight before that. If your just gonna go for reckless leaping dives for the legs against a guy who trains muay thai you deserve that shit.

It's pretty predictable. Usually, theres only 3 to 5 persons per division that can possibly beat the top guy.

For sure, when two guys that are close to each other, it's hard to pick a winner, but you don't see a lot of big upset, at least a lot less than in most team sport
Man you see upsets all the time. The butthurtedness over it is constant and hilarious

I'd seen him fight before that. If your just gonna go for reckless leaping dives for the legs against a guy who trains muay thai you deserve that shit.

Funniest thing man lol

Back