How (un)realistic is this?

Yourstepdad

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So the national Dutch boxing association wants to send former k1-champ Badr Hari to the Olympics to represent the Netherlands as a boxer this year in Tokyo.

Reportedly because there would be no amateur boxing heavyweight talented enough. They announced that they will be scouting for more kickboxers in the future.

Badr and his team are willing to take on the challenge, but then Glory (where Badr is still signed) would have to agree quickly.

He would then have to compete in the preliminaries in London first and make it through. (Which he absolutely won't, if we're being realistic. Or at least, that's my take on it)

Isn't this complete disregard for the sport of boxing by the boxing association?

Hari, good kickboxer back in the day. But not a boxer.

Hari-756x422.jpg

Last edited:
Let's send our best mountain biker to the Tour de France too

So the national Dutch boxing association wants to send former k1-champ Badr Hari to the Olympics to represent the Netherlands as a boxer this year in Tokyo.

Reportedly because there would be no amateur boxing heavyweight talented enough. They announced that they will be scouting for more kickboxers in the future.

Badr and his team are willing to take on the challenge, but then Glory (where Badr is still signed) would have to agree quickly.

He would then have to compete in the preliminaries in London first and make it through. (Which he absolutely won't, if we're being realistic. Or at least, that's my take on it)

Isn't this complete disregard for the sport of boxing by the boxing association?

Hari-756x422.jpg

It’s a tough one dude. You have so many great Kickboxers but there surely must be a couple of HW boxers that can go. I know Holland is very kickboxing orientated but they are different sports. From my experience the standard of boxing in Kickboxers is generally poor. I suppose you can get away with it a bit more at HW due to size/power being such a big factor alongside skill

Where abouts do you live in Holland dude. I’ve been a very regular visitor for over 20 years now. I fckin love your country and the people as well

Where abouts do you live in Holland dude. I’ve been a very regular visitor for over 20 years now. I fckin love your country and the people as well

Nice man, I live in the Utrecht area, but I was born and raised in Rotterdam. Where are you from?

It’s a tough one dude. You have so many great Kickboxers but there surely must be a couple of HW boxers that can go. I know Holland is very kickboxing orientated but they are different sports. From my experience the standard of boxing in Kickboxers is generally poor. I suppose you can get away with it a bit more at HW due to size/power being such a big factor alongside skill

There are some hw boxers indeed, which is why I dont understand this at all. Maybe they are just looking for some publicity

But I feel they should make boxing more attractive if they want a shot at any medals. Very few can make a living being a good boxer here. So most of the talent goes to kickboxing.

Now they make it seem like boxing is kickboxing without the feet. But there's quite a bit more to it. Id prefer to send nobody at all than a kickboxer who has a couple of months to prepare.

USA boxing used to disqualify those w any professional experience, tough man , mma etc. I don’t like it.

Weird, but for boxing not that unrealistic.

In Rio 2016, three pros competed and didn't do too much.

The other day Filip Hrgovic, who won bronze in 2016 announced he would like to compete in Tokyo 2020.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...vic-branded-a-bully-over-tokyo-olympics-plans

Not only is that strange that a contender wants to return to the amateurs, but it could be that he skips the qualifying round to the expense of another Croatian amateur.

Not only is that strange that a contender wants to return to the amateurs, but it could be that he skips the qualifying round to the expense of another Croatian amateur.

Man that sucks for the amateur guy who has been preparing for all these years. How is this even legal?

At least qualify the proper way. Shady business

Interesting to see how the ex-pro would do though. I feel like boxers who are great as an amateur don't necessarily have to be great as pro, but the other way around, no clue

I’m assuming there will be drug tests... Hari’s samples would glow in the dark he’s on so much PED’s.

Weird, but for boxing not that unrealistic.

In Rio 2016, three pros competed and didn't do too much.

The other day Filip Hrgovic, who won bronze in 2016 announced he would like to compete in Tokyo 2020.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...vic-branded-a-bully-over-tokyo-olympics-plans

I don't think it's strange that a pro wants to go to the Olympics. They want a shot/another shot at winning gold. Olympic gold medals/Olympic championship titles aren't just handed out like the WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO's titles are in the pros (including fighting against nobodies when they become vacant).

Man that sucks for the amateur guy who has been preparing for all these years. How is this even legal?

At least qualify the proper way. Shady business

Interesting to see how the ex-pro would do though. I feel like boxers who are great as an amateur don't necessarily have to be great as pro, but the other way around, no clue

A lot of boxing business seems to be shady business.

In 2016 none of the 3 pros did well, including Hassan N'Dam, who had held a world title. He was too used to 12 rounds and couldn't cope with going back to 3.

It's risky for Hrgovic. If he loses he looks silly. If he wins, well, everyone v will criticise. I think he has a bee in his bonnet from not winning the gold and wants another go.

I don't think it's strange that a pro wants to go to the Olympics. They want a shot/another shot at winning gold. Olympic gold medals/Olympic championship titles aren't just handed out like the WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO's titles are in the pros (including fighting against nobodies when they become vacant).

Ah. You wrote along the lines of what I was thinking while I was posting!

Agreed about wanting another go to win the most prestigious amateur title. My thinking is more that it's strange if following the usual career path.

The pressure is on to win and look good as it could be a very lose/lose outcome.

Hari-756x422.jpg
If they're actually serious then they should send him to the European Continental Qualification Event in March, as you mentioned. Even if he doesn't qualify through that path then he'll get a second chance in May at the World Qualification Event.

The men's European qualifiers only have 4 places available at Super Heavyweight so it's very unlikely that he makes the cut the first time around. Even less spots will be available the second time around at the World Qualifiers, but, he'd only have to place high enough to qualify against the rest of the field that previously fell short in their respective Continental Qualifiers.
QUALIFICATION SYSTEM – GAMES OF THE XXXII OLYMPIAD –TOKYO 2020

Last edited:
Not really. Sounds like they just need a guy from where he's from and he's willing

It's not an elitist thing....fighters fight. Sometimes rules are different

Not really. Sounds like they just need a guy from where he's from and he's willing

It's not an elitist thing....fighters fight. Sometimes rules are different

Of course, but this aint about elitism

This is a big fck you to the guy who has been training for 4 years to go to the olhmpics and is now being replaced by a kickboxer who (to my knowledge) has never even boxed 1 bout before

The boxing association also announced that they plan to do this more frequently in the future.

I'd say promote boxing, let talented boxers box and compete in boxing, and box their way to the olympics. Key word: boxing.

We are never going to get any medals in the sport if we keep collecting random kickboxers from here and there months before the event starts.

It's like these people don't realize that there is more to boxing than just kickboxing without the legs. Like it's not worth it to focus solely on the art of boxing.

No way Badr is going to pass an Olympic drug test. Dude is a 90kg fighter that’s been synthetically turned into a super heavyweight.

Back