How To Workout Smarter

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

When you train with medium intensity. Your body needs little recovery. Also, you will be mentally in a flow state and enjoy the training more. So, you will train more and improve more.

Volume is more important than intensity. Examples are Russian wrestlers, Thai fighters, Cuban boxers, Georges St-Pierre, etc.

Last edited:
I prefer it for practical reasons.

Whether or not it’s more beneficial is another story but I’m not a huge fan of debilitating soreness.

Depends on demographics, individual goals, etc. Also, even if you default to moderate intensity, any periodized program will have variations in volume/intensity.

But yeah, I agree that generally training at ~50-80% max intensity is a good way to get "the best of both worlds", i.e. objective improvements in performance, and injury prevention.

disagree. you should be training as hard as possible, as smart as possible.

also you are completely ignoring work capacity. if I train harder than you for longer than you, intelligently pushing my volume/intensity, I am going to outpace your "medium" pretty quickly. and in a year I will be able to recover from more overall work in a training week than you can.

are we trending away from the "TRANE HARD UFC BRO" mentality and the new fad is everybody gonna train like pussies all the time now? walking home at a slow pace because our heart rate variability monitor says were in the red?

Im sorry I entered this thread just to dump on you but a) this is sherdog and b) I am serious.

volume and intensity are both important. you dont have to choose one according to whichever training fad is fashionable. just manage them appropriately in a progressive fashion.

https://www.jtsstrength.com/consolidation-stressors-part-1/

Last edited:
Most people are pussies and have never redlined their body for an appreciable amout of time anyway. I say everyone should experience overtraining and take it from there.

You can definitely overdo it with s&c super easily though. I’m just talking about training

Most people are pussies and have never redlined their body for an appreciable amout of time anyway. I say everyone should experience overtraining and take it from there.

You can definitely overdo it with s&c super easily though. I’m just talking about training
This is really solid advice, thanks for sharing. Seems like the most logical way to approach training smarter.

<{jackyeah}>

I prefer it for practical reasons.

Whether or not it’s more beneficial is another story but I’m not a huge fan of debilitating soreness.
How many times woke up at 3am to go pee and body feels like a wreck. Everything is sore and won't move, promising self a day off. Get off work later that day and snorting pre workout to do it again.

How many times woke up at 3am to go pee and body feels like a wreck. Everything is sore and won't move, promising self a day off. Get off work later that day and snorting pre workout to do it again.

I have been on crutches before from working out my legs too hard.

While watching my friends play basketball from the sidelines, I realized going to extreme failure probably isn't the best idea in the world. lol

I have been on crutches before from working out my legs too hard.

While watching my friends play basketball from the sidelines, I realized going to extreme failure probably isn't the best idea in the world. lol
Learning something new is dangerous when you're an extremist. You want to perfect it in a week and over do it, usually ends in pain for weeks.

disagree. you should be training as hard as possible, as smart as possible.

also you are completely ignoring work capacity. if I train harder than you for longer than you, intelligently pushing my volume/intensity, I am going to outpace your "medium" pretty quickly. and in a year I will be able to recover from more overall work in a training week than you can.

are we trending away from the "TRANE HARD UFC BRO" mentality and the new fad is everybody gonna train like pussies all the time now? walking home at a slow pace because our heart rate variability monitor says were in the red?

Im sorry I entered this thread just to dump on you but a) this is sherdog and b) I am serious.

volume and intensity are both important. you dont have to choose one according to whichever training fad is fashionable. just manage them appropriately in a progressive fashion.

https://www.jtsstrength.com/consolidation-stressors-part-1/

Agree.

Too much BS about "overtraining" lately by people who train like pussies.

Nothing wrong with going half-ass on the workouts.. but don't call it training smarter because it's not.

When you train with medium intensity. Your body needs little recovery. Also, you will be mentally in a flow state and enjoy the training more. So, you will train more and improve more.

Volume is more important than intensity. Examples are Russian wrestlers, Thai fighters, Cuban boxers, Georges St-Pierre, etc.

Training smart is important, however overtraining is unlikely to happen if you're a beginner and are lifting weight that isn't very heavy in proportion to your lean bodyweight. Most people will never start to reach their limit, I think periodization is pretty important, upping weight, volume and intensity exponentially will lead to injuries once you start to go from advanced to elite in your lifts. You just can't push yourself the same once you're lifting 3 to 4 times the weight you did when you first started. I'm 34 what I found works is upping volume, weight and intensity for 4 to 6 weeks then starting over, with slightly higher weight then I was at week 1 of previous period, with a deload week or an off week in between. Also I don't like failed lifts, forced reps for big compound movements. For smaller muscle groups its fine. I like to stop shy of being exhausted. I tend to have longer rest periods then most as well in between, bench, squat, deadlift, heavy overhead presses, heavy rows. Staying in the comfort zone is fine if you're supplementing your jiu jitsu, muay thai etc. training with weight lifting. If you're primarily lifting weight at the time I think look at it as "training" instead of exercise.

Lol at people who think they're tough for discrediting over-training.
Over-training is a thing, whether or not you want to believe it.
There is a window of super compensation. High intensity workouts require 48+ hrs for your CNS to recover. That doesn’t mean you can’t workout during that rest period, but you need to “workout smarter” to allow that recovery to take place.

Stimulation over annihilation

It was Dorian Yates on the Joe Rogan podcast who said too many hobbyists deadlift weights which are way too heavy for them, which results in back/knee pain etc. I am stronger than average and use lots of bodyweight stuff and keep it simple. Each to their own, but I agree with Yates, I know too many guys who have injured themselves from lifting too hard.

It was Dorian Yates on the Joe Rogan podcast who said too many hobbyists deadlift weights which are way too heavy for them, which results in back/knee pain etc. I am stronger than average and use lots of bodyweight stuff and keep it simple. Each to their own, but I agree with Yates, I know too many guys who have injured themselves from lifting too hard.

Yates is right, but as a counterpoint, it’s also a lot harder to make gains when you are a natural and older lifter. Your body hates gains. If you are a young dude with genetic talent who is on an ocean of gear, aka Yates, you can make outrageous progress with a lower degree of overload. Isolation exercises at high volume are much more effective.

Older natural lifters, you need a higher level of mass overload followed by a lot more recovery time. Ironically. Your muscles are not going to get impregnated with gains just by being in the physical proximity of weights, like a geared up 25 YO.

Just philosophizing as I work through my deadlift routine today.

I will say this though, I do agree that deadlifts are a distant lesser to squats when it comes to driving growth.

Deadlift basically a failed clean.

I will say this though, I do agree that deadlifts are a distant lesser to squats when it comes to driving growth.
Based on what?

If I could only do one, it’s deadlift for sure. And the squat was my best lift by far.

Back