How to wash your gi

Wash your belt after EACH training. It carries all the same bacteria that your gi. It isnt in contact with your skin as much, but all the other people you roll with touch it, it rubs against the sweat on the mat etc etc.
There is NO reason whatsoever to NOT wash or clean something.

-No time to dry? Get another pair of whatever, problem solved.
-No washer? Go to one. Or get several pairs of whatever gear so you can make it with only washing your laundry once. You know, like you have several pairs of underwear, so you do not have to walk around in filthy drawers..
-Cant bother? Stay away.

a REALLY easy rule of thumb, sponsored by me:

WASH ALL YOUR TRAINING GEAR AFTER EVERY TRAINING! ALL OF IT!

Seriously. All of it...

Washing a belt with any frequency will make it distort badly.

I dont wash my belt. However, after each training session it gets thrown in a bag, bag was sprayed with lysol, sprayed again, tied up air tight and then left for 2-3 hrs. By the time I'm ready for bed i pull it out and hang it up to dry.

As for my Gis, washed after every training session. It helps if you don't leave them bundled up in a ball to stink overnight. If you're not washing it right away at least hang it up or throw it over a chair or railing.

I just started using Tide sport and it seems to do a good job. prior i used tide with colour safe bleach.

I sweat a lot.. I mean a lot, think about what you imagine is a lot of sweat and double that and that's how I am. I probably sweat more driving to training than most people sweat during. I've struggled with smelly Gi for a while but my rules to follow are below.

Wash it before the sweat dries

Vinegar and Borax are your friend

Hot water and Presoak

Charlies Soap, 10 cents a load and works awesome

And if all else fails just dry it in and sun and that fixes everything.

I was my belt every time I use it and I can say this has been in no way true at all for me in the last 4 years.

Seriously though your hands are the dirtiest part of your body by a long shot and you rub them all over your belt every time you use it. Save yourself and save your training partners, wash your belt.

I wash my Hayabusa belt every single time i finish training and have yet to have it distorted. maybe a cheaper belt does, but i'm doing just fine

If your belt distorts because of washing, then you have a cheap ass worthless belt that needs to be chiucked anyway. Just saying.

Wash your belt every single time it is worn, just like your kimono. Period. - E

I don't sweat a lot. I have been washing my gi frequently and can't say I have ever smelled anything terrible on it, and no one has said anything (we are a pretty open gym) regarding the issue.

As I don't own a dryer, I always think leaving my wet gi hanging is bad too, as I always finish rolling at around 8:30 at night it doesn't dry totally until the next day. Is this bad? Or can I soak it over night and hang it outdoors in the morning?

Thanks in advance.

This is not true.

I have two belts (just in case I'm doing a two-a-day). I wash them every time I use them. Usually throw them in the dryer if I'm lazy, but with two belts, there's enough time to air dry one while the other one gets used.

I've yet to wash away my jiu jitsu mojo.

I've also yet to get a staph or ringworm infection.

Coincidence?

Maybe.

Back