How to wash your gi

roosterweight

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, one of my teammates mentioned how stinky a newcomer to our gym was, and others chimed in. I had thought his gi smelled rancid, but this confirmation urged me to action.

So I decided to speak with him about it after training one day. As is my custom at the end of a class, I walked to each person, shook hands, and thanked them for training. I intentionally saved his thank you for last. I thanked him and then, in a whispered tone, informed him that his gi smalled rank and that others were talking about it. I asked how often he washed his gi, and learned he only owns one gi and washes it once each week (he trains two or three times a week).

I politely told him that he should wash his gi after every practice and maybe throw some vinegar in the washing machine to help purge some of the deeply embedded stink that was undoubtedly in his gi.

I decided to make this little home video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=

Wait.. sorry.. Adolf Goldenberg? Someone really didn't think this name out.

But I will say, situation handled like a pro.

Yeah. . . . my father was raised as an orthodox Jew (he was born when Hitler was on the political scene but not the menacing threat he became in the mid-1930's). Jews rarely name their child after someone who's living, but they were afraid the name would not continue if one of their children didn't carry it. In my every day life, I don't go by Adolph, but I like to have fun with it at times (customer service situations, videos like this, etc).

Do you wash your belt? Because I am from the "if you don't, that is icky," camp. Should be addressed in the video.

it's good to see someone tell another person they stink. i don't find something like that offensive. i think you are helping someone out. if i had something in my teeth or a booger hanging out of my nose, i'd hope someone would tell me before i go parading around town getting snickered at. true teammate right there.

You use Purex to wash your Gi? That stuff is significantly worse on your Gi than Tide from my experience.

When do you think is a good time to chuck your Gi? Sometimes, after a long period of time you just get stains that won't come out, gis get stiff, etc. What's the life span you get out of your Gi with that washing plan and what brand of Gi is it?

How'd the guy react when you told him? Was he cool about it? Surprised that he smelled?

This isn't much of a problem at my gym, however the owner of the gym's son (not the instructor) has a nasty, nasty ass gi. He's a good kid, wrestles in high school and is a pretty good jiu-jitsu player. But man, I don't even want to touch his gi, it even looks gross.

Do you wash your belt? Because I am from the "if you don't, that is icky," camp. Should be addressed in the video.

While my coach discourages belt washing, I wash mine about once a month. I also sanitize my head gear about once a month.

You use Purex to wash your Gi? That stuff is significantly worse on your Gi than Tide from my experience.

When do you think is a good time to chuck your Gi? Sometimes, after a long period of time you just get stains that won't come out, gis get stiff, etc. What's the life span you get out of your Gi with that washing plan and what brand of Gi is it?

I use whatever detergent is on sale. I have a number of gi's (5 or 6), but only two are still competition legal after repeated machine drying. I tend to use a gi for about three years and then donate it to my gym to be used as loaners. (quick aside - I write my first name down the lapels of my gi tops, which I cross out when I give them to the gym. But I always find it amusing to see a visitor wearing a gi with "Adolph" scratched out).

How'd the guy react when you told him? Was he cool about it? Surprised that he smelled?

He was surprised because he initially felt that washing his gi weekly was sufficient. He has since, however, started washing his gi after every practice. It's still a shade of grey that will never wash out, but it doesn't smell anymore.

This isn't much of a problem at my gym, however the owner of the gym's son (not the instructor) has a nasty, nasty ass gi. He's a good kid, wrestles in high school and is a pretty good jiu-jitsu player. But man, I don't even want to touch his gi, it even looks gross.

Take the guy aside and say something to him. Nobody wants to be the teammate who stinks, so you'd be doing him a favor.

I've wondered how to make my gi less stiff.

Yeah. . . . my father was raised as an orthodox Jew (he was born when Hitler was on the political scene but not the menacing threat he became in the mid-1930's). Jews rarely name their child after someone who's living, but they were afraid the name would not continue if one of their children didn't carry it. In my every day life, I don't go by Adolph, but I like to have fun with it at times (customer service situations, videos like this, etc).

It is, or at least was, a pretty common middle name in Sweden - after King Gustav II Adolf Vasa. You could tell people your dad was just really fond of fermented herring and IKEA. :icon_lol:

While my coach discourages belt washing, I wash mine about once a month. I also sanitize my head gear about once a month.

Wash your belt after EACH training. It carries all the same bacteria that your gi. It isnt in contact with your skin as much, but all the other people you roll with touch it, it rubs against the sweat on the mat etc etc.
There is NO reason whatsoever to NOT wash or clean something.

-No time to dry? Get another pair of whatever, problem solved.
-No washer? Go to one. Or get several pairs of whatever gear so you can make it with only washing your laundry once. You know, like you have several pairs of underwear, so you do not have to walk around in filthy drawers..
-Cant bother? Stay away.

a REALLY easy rule of thumb, sponsored by me:

WASH ALL YOUR TRAINING GEAR AFTER EVERY TRAINING! ALL OF IT!

Seriously. All of it...

Last edited:
Back