How to Use HP Sauce

What's HP?

2007-03-16hp-sauce.jpg

It goes with most hangover breakfast foods, plain burgers, pastry meats....my favourite is steak pie with beans and brown sauce

good with most breakfasts

sometimes I mix it in my bbq sauce mix I make.

HP
Worcester sauce
ketchup
Dijon mustard
brown sugar
lemon juice
salt & pepper
tony's sacceret

and whatever else I can find.

I saw a sauce called London Pub Steak and Chop Sauce, is that a brown sauce like HP? Is it any good?
Yes, it's very decent. I've bought it from Jensens before and it's got the same taste & texture/consistency as HP. It costs more though and the bottle is smaller.

I was raised on Daddies brown sauce ,but HP is quality too and is much more readily available here on the West coast(Ralphs, Fresh & Easy, Cost plus).

- Bacon cob
- Steak & kidney pie
- Dbl egg & chips

SO what generic brand are we talking about? IF it's not HP or Daddies it ain't cricket I'm afraid.

SO what generic brand are we talking about? IF it's not HP or Daddies it ain't cricket I'm afraid.

70000%5C70670%5C00365%5C7067000365CF.GIF

I was stuck up the mountain at the cabin where choice ain't great and the local grocery store up there had it, so winged it.

I was well skeptical but won't lie, It was pretty decent. But like I said, it's a bit more expensive and comes in a smaller bottle.

I'm surprised I've not heard of it before. I used to buy HP in Waterstones in Amsterdam of all places, nowhere else had it.

My local supermarket has HP, Branston, salad cream, Heinz baked beans and Colmans weirdly enough. Pay through the nose for them but at least I have them.

I'm surprised I've not heard of it before. I used to buy HP in Waterstones in Amsterdam of all places, nowhere else had it.

My local supermarket has HP, Branston, salad cream, Heinz baked beans and Colmans weirdly enough. Pay through the nose for them but at least I have them.
Hey, I found some black vinegar t'other day. None of regular stores had it so popped into an Asian grocery store close by and boom, they had it!!

$1.89 for a 20oz bottle :eek: It's made in Tawain though, did I fuck up?

Making a Kung pao chicken later in week.

Int Waterstones a bookstore? :icon_conf

I put it on steaks when I make the steaks because I suck at cooking. But if I got a quality steak from a restaurant I wouldn't ruin it with hp

Hey, I found some black vinegar t'other day. None of regular stores had it so popped into an Asian grocery store close by and boom, they had it!!

$1.89 for a 20oz bottle :eek: It's made in Tawain though, did I fuck up?

Making a Kung pao chicken later in week.
I use Chinese black vinegar when I do a master stock, were you thinking it was malt? Like for chish and fipps?
Int Waterstones a bookstore? :icon_conf
Yep, they had a British section :D Yorkshire tea too.

I use Chinese black vinegar when I do a master stock, were you thinking it was malt? Like for chish and fipps?

Yep, they had a British section :D Yorkshire tea too.

Nah, a kung pao recipe called for it on Epicurious. Never done from scratch Chinese before, save a sweet & sour chicken & a few basic stir fry's. Spreading me wings a bit :D

Check around and see if you have any Arabic or Indian grocery stores close by you, lass. They stock British goods and they're usually much cheaper.

On bacon sandwiches, omelets or scrambled eggs.

Old Brit mate worked as a mechanic here back in the 90's. Worked for an upscale gas station and used to drive around in flash cars of clients who dropped them off for service before leaving for vacations/business trips.

Took us out on the piss down the beach one summer night in a chocolate brown soft top BMW. Long story short, got home and scratched the passenger door parking in our Apt's tight car port.

Solution: Bottle of HP sauce.

Smeared it over the scratch line in the morning and dropped it back off at his gas stations car park.

True story. Got away with it too.

^ its also good for cleaning up anything metal. polishes up to a nice metallic sheen.

foodwise though, add baked beans to toast, grate on some cheese, add hp sauce. amazing.

brown >>>>> red as far as sauces go imo.

Back