How to train my cat from killing and bringing in its kills?

Not much you can do. If you catch it in the act, spray a bit of water on it, while sternly saying "no". Maybe it'll get the hint, maybe it won't.

Ultimately, cats have a will of their own, and you usually can't train them as easily as with a dog if at all. But, that's why they are more interesting pets than dogs.

All you have to do is show my cat the squirt bottle and she takes off running.

My cat brought in a rabbit's head one day and put it in my laundry basket. She truly cares.

My cat brought in a rabbit's head one day and put it in my laundry basket. She truly cares.

Actually, I think it might have been a warning.

My cats caught rabbits all the time, but all they brought home most times were the intestines. Rabbits have a lot of intestines.

The first time I opened the front door to get the paper on a crisp December morning and there was a steaming pile of guts in the snow, I thought they'd killed the mailman.

20jfncz.jpg

So I have a cat or more to the point I have a cousin. My cousin and my cat share some characteristics. Both are small, Asian, don't eat much and I don't mind supporting them. They also are a package deal. Since said cat has been living with me I have for the most part grown to like it. It spends most of its time outdoors which means no litter box and otherwise does not bother me. My problem is the cat has been bringing in its kills.

I have an altar as do all good Vietnamese. \There is the Lord BUddha and various pictures of my ancestors. Recently I have been getting presents ranging from birds lizards to most recently a rabbit who when I found it was in its death throes. Always at my altar.

A cat is going to be a cat. I am against my cousins idea which is to make it a house cat. For one my furniture is currently intact and I don't have to deal with a litter box. More to the point, I'd rather let the cat have its quality of life and not have to deal with it mewling because it is locked in.

How do I train the cat to stop bringing in dead animals it has killed? On a related note I could be a better Buddhist so I was unable to contribute to this recent discussion. The cat does not actually eat its victims. So it is arguably murdering rather than hunting. Is a cat capable of sin as used in the Buddhist context? If so will the cats wanton murders impact its reincarnation?

Ever thought that the cat was making an offering? Maybe you should respect it's beliefs and practices?

I think it is badass, and the lack of respect you are having for it is the only sin that is going on. When you die, Crom is going to laugh at you, make you do his godly afterlife dishes that have been piling up, and cast you down with the sissies in hell. Your cat, after ITS death, will be given opposable thumbs, large razor like talons, and a field full of rabbits mice and birds, so that Crom can spend his afternoons drinking ale and watching your badass former cat pick up prey and choke kill/slash them. A cape will be made from the tiny pelts of all that your cat kills, worn proudly by the god of steel.

Back when I had an outside cat, he brought me a squirrel one day on the back porch and dropped it at my feet. I went directly into the kitchen and grabbed the tobasco.

How is the cat getting its kills in the house? Do you have a cat door? Get rid of it.

I've had indoor/outdoor cats and they didn't have free access to the house. When they wanted in they meowed at the door and I could control when they came in and what came in with them. They only came in at night.

You are not going to be able to train your cat to stop killing. There are a few products (many pet stores carry them) you could spray near your altar that should keep the cat away. But if your cat is going to be out side the best thing to do is get a kitty collar with a bell on it.

All my cats are indoors only, greatly reduces the risk of death by car, predator parasites diseases etc.

Can you train a cat not to kill?

Can you teach a millennial blogger not to whine?

No. 100% no. It's impossible.

You are not going to be able to train your cat to stop killing. There are a few products (many pet stores carry them) you could spray near your altar that should keep the cat away. But if your cat is going to be out side the best thing to do is get a kitty collar with a bell on it.

All my cats are indoors only, greatly reduces the risk of death by car, predator parasites diseases etc.
This guy knows.

The common house cat is a goddamn killing machine. Hands down the best hunters, per capita, in the world.

TS' problem is like having a mini-Anderson Silva constantly giving you free training advice.

This guy knows.

The common house cat is a goddamn killing machine. Hands down the best hunters, per capita, in the world.

TS' problem is like having a mini-Anderson Silva constantly giving you free training advice.

Are you saying that every once in a while you have cars and predators in your house?

:eek:

This guy knows.

A friend of mine had a cat that killed birds by jumping out of trees and catching them mid flight.

Friggin' ninja.

You don't. Youu reward it with unlimited catnip and pussy.

Put a bell on its collar.

Bells don't do anything to stop cats hunting. They move gracefully enough the bell doesn't jingle at all when they hunt, not even when they leap on their prey.

The cat is alpha, you clearly are not.

Back