How to train avoiding punches?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Cylke, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Cylke

Cylke White Belt

I wonder how I could learn to avoid getting hit . Today i figured I'd get my mate to throw punches at me in boxing gloves and i wouldn't hit back, just try to block and evade. Told him to hit hard and tried to avoid getting hit as much as i could. Is this a good way to learn this? I was blocking or evading most of the punches but I feel some of the evasions and blocks would not work with better opponents. Is it possible to learn it like that?

Also, I tend to have problems with evading or blocking long combos in sparring. I just can't follow where the guy will hit and eat a few punches.
    Some techniques I could use to make my evasions more effective?

2. Was Exiled

Was Exiled Brown Belt

get your friend to throw wrenches at you from his wheelchair

3. StopDucking

StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

What the guy above me said.

Also, do slip rope and partner drills.

4. Fire of Youth

Fire of Youth Green Belt

It is unrealistic to think that you are not going to get hit. But you can work on your stance and positions so when you do get hit, you can absorb it. Doing full defence rounds like you described is a great way for developing that. Do more defence rounds.

Sano likes this.
  5. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

You can do partner drills, eg. partner throws punches, all you do is slip, parry, block, etc.
    but if you're assuming you will never get hit, thats not going to happen. Even the best pros get hit, the important thing is to get hit in the right place eg. forehead vs chin, and counter back solid.

If you go in with the mentality that you're never going to get hit, thats where things will go wrong. As "mean" as this might sound, you'll break and but shut down quick when you do get hit, and you do not want that.

6. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Re: struggling with long combos, the problem is that no one should be throwing long combos at you. You either need to return fire immediately, or use your feet to move your body out of the combo (usually by circling/pivoting.)

The point of slipping a punch is to stay in range to return fire. If you're not going to return fire, move your body out of danger.

Fire of Youth likes this.
  7. II Muchetto II

II Muchetto II Orange Belt

If he can dodge a wrench, he can dodge a punch!!

Just drills and sparring, it's like anything else, repetition and practice are the key

8. JustOnce

JustOnce Always learning

duck dodge dip dive...duck :)

Sano likes this.
  9. Hotora86

Hotora86 #StayTheFuckHome #FlattenTheCurve #WashYourHands

Footwork.

Hi-Tech likes this.
  10. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I came to post about wrenches but it seems that advice was already given.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  11. freaky

freaky Banned Banned

so no matter what i do i'm going to get KO? I thought boxing is the art of "hitting while not getting hit"

12. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Have you ever seen a boxing match before?

biscuitsbrah, Was Exiled and j123 like this.
  13. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Drills and sparring and to a lesser extent shadowboxing in the very beginning of learning a move

II Muchetto II likes this.
  14. neomacro

neomacro White Belt

I always thought it was impossible to dodge every blow. My coach has some sessions where we just learn to absorb hits, no dodge or parrying allowed. I practice slow dodging and parrying with friends and the keep increasing the speed till I am comfortable. The speed should be fast enough that some hits should connect. I see a lot of students in my class where they preemptively parry or dodge a hit in a prefixed combo. When sparring, these students have no idea how to avoid hits because their practice was flawed.

15. Hi-Tech

Hi-Tech Slavic Fighter Double Yellow Card

Footwork is the most important and often the most underrated aspect of defense.

What's the best way to avoid being punched? Run away. That's why Floyd, Erislandy Lara and other defensive boxers are mocked as "runners".

If you stand in front of someone you're going to get hit, there's no way around it. Blocking isn't the best defense in boxing, it's mostly useful when you're offensive, moving/leaning forward or you have to block the return fire, but other than that it's not that helpful.

If you want to be a defensive boxer you first need to learn how to stay out of the range of your opponent and create angles where he can't hit you.

Once you learn how to do that you need to learn the best defensive maneuver in boxing that is the shoulder roll.

The thing is that these things need time to learn so during that time you're going to get hit, it's inevitable, but if you want to be a good defensive boxer I would suggest that you should strive to perfect your footwork and shoulder roll defense.

And yeah, it is possible to be (almost) unhittable in boxing.

16. Fire of Youth

Fire of Youth Green Belt

Just because you get hit, doesn't mean you will get KOd. If you your posture, stance and structure is strong then you can absorb it and take most of the sting out of it. Yes, the goal of boxing is to hit whilst not getting hit yourself but that is an unrealistic goal. If you are in the danger zone where your opponent can reach you then you are hittable but it also means that you will be able to hit them. Unless there is a largish reach advantage on one side, you can't hit them without exposing yourself to being hit yourself. Especially when you have to sacrifice some of your defence to hit them. What I mean by that is that you would typically use your guard to block certain targets and evasion to defend against the rest. Throwing a limb out to hit them means that limb can not defend as broadly as when it is pulled back into your guard. When you move into range to hit and put your hip behind the strike, you also sacrifice some of your potential evasive movement to instead focus it into your kinetic chain. Essentially, you sacrifice a portion of your defence to bolster your offence which means that you are going to get hit at some point because you attack.

Even if you focus solely on defence, and not sacrificing a portion of it to attack, some of your defence is going to rely on some judgement. Do I slip this cross or parry it? Do I move back and out of range or do I move in and jam it? Do I take the punch on my guard or weave under it? etc. No one is infallible and makes the right decision all the time, especially under the time constraints of thin-sliced judgements. That means that some of their hits are going to get through because sometimes you make an error in your judgement, especially when they are trying to get you to decide wrong with feints/fakes/level changes/etc.

17. Hotora86

18. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

Real talk, I think dodge ball actually would be a good supplement to training as a low impact method for building hand eye coordination and mobility.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  19. Hotora86

[​IMG]

20. Brendon Katz

Brendon Katz Brown Belt Professional Fighter

You know where he will hit. Either your head or body. As Hi-Tech said, use your footwork to move the targets just out of range when he is hitting. Alternatively, lean your body in so that he overshoots the target.

The problem most people have is they will tend to move constantly. Smooth movement is easier to follow and predict than choppy movement.

Notice how Rigondeaux doesn't move constantly, how he moves between positions? He leans in, then as his opponent starts the next punch, he leans somewhere else, and so on.

Reacting to the particular technique is a mistake. Act on the timing and the positions of the target, not on the strike necessarily. I'll put a vid up for you.

Samuel Reynoso likes this.