How to throw overhand right

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
Apparently you kinda throw it like a free style swimming, but it kinda feels awkard, how you kinda go up and down, wouldn't it really just slow it down, if you are intentionally moving it up and down, especially it feels awkward if you throw it without a wind up, I'm not even sure if you can without pulling it back and then over the top?

Watch tyron woodley fights and see how he throws it, and watch tyrone spong and see how he throws it thanks to them I have the mechanics down for it.

From an old thread:

this shows the clip when Chuck was showing the TUF Brazil 1 cast members his overhand right...one of my favorite parts of that season. was a pretty good season overall:

Learn how to throw a textbook straight right.

After that, throwing an overhand just becomes a sloppily thrown (high, looping, head down) version of that.

I would advise against "learning" or training the overhand right. It will turn out much better and faster/harder if you ingrain the correct way first. It's easy to go from a straight right to an overhand but NOT vice versa, and the straight right has more utility and application for fighting the overwhelming majority of the time.

It becomes an overhead due to the body tilt.

One of my favourite weapons always seems to catch guys behind the guard when whipped in from a 1:00 mark on a clock face. i throw mine almost like throwing a ball in regards to looseness right up until i contact. im also not throwing while rotating around my spine, i try to think of it as touching my right shoulder to my left knee. More of a diagonal twist if you know what i mean. Most important IMHO is not to let your hand leave your face before the start of rotation. couple videos i like

Notice chuck mentions the angle of the punch right away
http://fightland.vice.com/fight-school/the-overhand-left-with-john-dodson
Having trouble finding a working video for this one but in it coach wink says that keeping your hand to your head until right before throwing is super important (start twisting with hand by face then as you dip lover hand flies from there)

It's all about arm position or slot, that's really the only difference. The only time I really liked throwing it was when I was positioned low, usually set up with a body jab. I felt like if I was up too high and threw it and didn't connect, my body was exposed too much.

One of my favourite weapons always seems to catch guys behind the guard when whipped in from a 1:00 mark on a clock face. i throw mine almost like throwing a ball in regards to looseness right up until i contact. im also not throwing while rotating around my spine, i try to think of it as touching my right shoulder to my left knee. More of a diagonal twist if you know what i mean. Most important IMHO is not to let your hand leave your face before the start of rotation. couple videos i like

Notice chuck mentions the angle of the punch right away
http://fightland.vice.com/fight-school/the-overhand-left-with-john-dodson
Having trouble finding a working video for this one but in it coach wink says that keeping your hand to your head until right before throwing is super important (start twisting with hand by face then as you dip lover hand flies from there)

Like 95 percent of time pro fighters lile at the highest level esp in mma do not throw it from tje face they do wind up and throw

Like 95 percent of time pro fighters lile at the highest level esp in mma do not throw it from tje face they dowind up and throw

That's because it requires repetition to be able to hit it, you need to practice on the bag then on a partner then do some technical sparring.

That's because it requires repetition to be able to hit it, you need to practice on the bag then on a partner then do some technical sparring.

No i mean like 95 pervent of fighters in mma throws with a wind up

Like 95 percent of time pro fighters lile at the highest level esp in mma do not throw it from tje face they do wind up and throw
I wouldn't watch mma for the boxing. I said imho so its just what works best for me and like i said i use it and land it a lot. i would recommend at least keeping the chin tucked and behind your shoulder/delt area if you plan to wind up

Apparently you kinda throw it like a free style swimming, but it kinda feels awkard, how you kinda go up and down, wouldn't it really just slow it down, if you are intentionally moving it up and down, especially it feels awkward if you throw it without a wind up, I'm not even sure if you can without pulling it back and then over the top?
My understanding is that there is two main types of overhands. The "mma" one, where you windmill your arm, and the "boxing" one, where you point you elbow to the sky and and jut your fist out straight. The only difference is what the arms are doing, your body should be moving the same way for either punch, and the fist moves in the same arcing trajectory. It's a matter of speed vs power.

Back