How to throw a right cross? Left hook?

Scrappy145

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tell me how you throw a right cross and a left hook.
I'm just curious to see how you guys do it.

I looked for instructional videos but they seemed to be all from scrubs..
Rob McCullough, Maliapet, John Wayne Parr, Duke Roufus, and Rob Kaman all have instructional videos online but i havent seen one where they teach you a cross (except for razor rob, but im not too fond of his technique)

Have you looked for any boxing tech vids online?
The Boxing Forum should have something.

turn your fist over, sit on the punch, PIVOT, bring hand back to your face quickly

for a hook make sure your forearm is parallel to the ground and not slanted up or down

btw i throw hooks like i'm holding a coffee cup (fist vertical not horizontal)

obviously i'm no trainer though

This is on the bag, but watch from 2:30 to 4:20, and you will get the idea fairly well.

:icon_chee

Pretty sure its taught the same by most teachers.

Right hand fires straight out from the chin, back foot rotates out, fist rotates out until fully extended, returns in the same path. Weight shifts back to rear foot, use momentum from returning cross to pivot on lead foot and throw a tight hook. Fist returns to chin after contact, square and ready for whatever.

turn your fist over, sit on the punch, PIVOT, bring hand back to your face quickly

for a hook make sure your forearm is parallel to the ground and not slanted up or down

btw i throw hooks like i'm holding a coffee cup (fist vertical not horizontal)

obviously i'm no trainer though
with hooks your fist should always be horizontal, make sure to turn it over

also ts go join a gym, internet will not teach you

yeah i've heard people preach both ways but to me hooking with palm in just feels better to me, idk why

with my palm inward, it feels like i'm hitting them with the index and middle finger (bigger knuckles) but with my palm down, not so much

lean into that shit

picture throwing your shoulder, not your fist. that helped me put more of my body into my punch

also ts go join a gym, internet will not teach you

fuck that, it depends of the person

vertical hooks>horizontal hooks

i know people that throw horizontal hooks all day and swear by them. me and some others can't even try throwing a horizontal hook.

you feel natural doing it=do it

Cross - Always push off your rear foot, twist your hips into it to get as much weight into the punch as possible.

Hook - Shoulder - elbow - wrist should all be in a horizontal straight line. If not you're not, you're not getting as much power as you could be. Technique is everything.

This guy explains it pretty well:

So does this guy:

fuck that, it depends of the person

vertical hooks>horizontal hooks

i know people that throw horizontal hooks all day and swear by them. me and some others can't even try throwing a horizontal hook.

you feel natural doing it=do it
everything about boxing feels unnatural at first. not turning your hooks over is poor form

Boxing Skills | MyBoxingCoach

Check this site out, there is sections on all kinds of punches and how to throw them at every range. Each punch has a detailed instruction and video and then Fran (the coach) lists the common mistakes people make when throwing the punch. You probably won't find anything as informative as this

Last edited:
Back