How to throw a punch with Jeremy Stephens (Bio-mechanically)

Great stuff, Ill make sure not to punch with my hips and only rotate my spine for maximum power.

Has anyone ever tried loaded exercises where they only rotate their midsection and not the hips at all? This spinal torsion stuff sounds like a really great concept.

Great stuff, Ill make sure not to punch with my hips and only rotate my spine for maximum power.

Has anyone ever tried loaded exercises where they only rotate their midsection and not the hips at all? This spinal torsion stuff sounds like a really great concept.

Not sure if serious

Watching Naudias workouts with Stephens, they are pretty solid. None of that dancing shit, just sprints and core work.

Any idiot can put a guy through a core workout and some sprints. I am convinced the only reason Stephens goes to this guy is for mental reasons. Listening to him on Rogan, he seems very intelligent and talks about this exact subject and why he does some of the things he does regarding his training. Why he would trust a resistance dance instructor is beyond me but he has had impressive results with Nudi.

Has he though? My impression is that he started training with Naudi around the time of the Pettis or Cerrone fight at which point he went on a 3 fight losing streak against good competition before beating a few lower tier guys.

i think u guys are overanalyzing the sht out of the video.

teh guy's just a retard for not making it clear hes illustrating what he believes is an often overlooked and forgotten part of the full package of a correctly thrown straight cross, which is also using your "thoracic spine" as he so verbosely calls it or basically twisting ur shoulder as well.

not exactly revolutionary or worth making a half assed video about, but not worth calling him a hack either. what he is saying is technically correct and true, with the foot and hip twist theres also a twist in the upper body that is sometimes overlooked.

he packaged the whole video horribly, thats the real critique ...

Which is one of the reasons asking how a specific pro Fighter trains is a Forbidden Topic. Because many fighters are successful in spite of their training rather than because of it.

Prime Ali broke all the rules of Boxing; head up, hands down, talking to his opponent during the fight. But his ridiculous natural talents allowed him to win fights with a style that would have gotten mere mortals KTFO had they tried to do the same thing.

Yes and no. Nothing Ali did was particularly mystical. He just boxed like a middleweight and had the speed of hand and foot to do it. His actual skill came from a guy named Luis Sarria, a Cuban who was the instructor of HOF'ers Jose Napoles and Luis Angel Rodriguez. Though Sarria was a very humble man, and only introduced to anyone as Ali's masseuse. He also was very fond of Willie Pastrano, who was at Dundee's Gym at the same time, but himself was also built by another trainer out of New Orleans. Dundee got all the credit for training, though he didn't build Ali, nor any of those men.

Just wanted to make that clear. Ali's skill came from somewhere, and was applicable in boxing. It had just never been seen in a Heavyweight. Patterson was very fast, but went forward where Ali tended to go backwards.

EDIT: Guess I should say something about the video.

What I'm seeing is a guy who has watched a lot of other youtube videos of people punching correctly, and done a very convoluted job of coming up with a way of uniquely phrasing some basic terminologies to sound as if it's a new and revolutionary discovery. There's a lot of over-explanation going on. This entire video could have been taught to a guy in a gym simply by a trainer saying "keep your torso back, don't lean over the front foot."

Last edited:
Yes and no. Nothing Ali did was particularly mystical. He just boxed like a middleweight and had the speed of hand and foot to do it. His actual skill came from a guy named Luis Sarria, a Cuban who was the instructor of HOF'ers Jose Napoles and Luis Angel Rodriguez. Though Sarria was a very humble man, and only introduced to anyone as Ali's masseuse. He also was very fond of Willie Pastrano, who was at Dundee's Gym at the same time, but himself was also built by another trainer out of New Orleans. Dundee got all the credit for training, though he didn't build Ali, nor any of those men.

Just wanted to make that clear. Ali's skill came from somewhere, and was applicable in boxing. It had just never been seen in a Heavyweight. Patterson was very fast, but went forward where Ali tended to go backwards.

What I'm seeing is a guy who has watched a lot of other youtube videos of people punching correctly, and done a very convoluted job of coming up with a way of uniquely phrasing some basic terminologies to sound as if it's a new and revolutionary discovery. There's a lot of over-explanation going on. This entire video could have been taught to a guy in a gym simply by a trainer saying "keep your torso back, don't lean over the front foot."

Thank you for the history lesson. I genuinely never heard of this guy before. However, I still think Ali had freaky attributes for a Heavyweight. I doubt that vast majority of other Heavyweights would have been able to fight in the same way, even if they had received the same training.

Despite your hate for this Naudia dude, Jeremy Stephans has some of the most brick ass punching power in the UFC.

To be fair he had tremendous power before training under the guidance of Naudi.

Thank you for the history lesson. I genuinely never heard of this guy before. However, I still think Ali had freaky attributes for a Heavyweight. I doubt that vast majority of other Heavyweights would have been able to fight in the same way, even if they had received the same training.

Well, there's just no way of knowing. I'm not implying that Ali wasn't special, he was a special fighter in numerous ways. As you indicated, no heavyweight Pros really couldreplicate it. However, we don't know what Sarria would have discovered had he been brought to the forefront of training fighters.

Despite your hate for this Naudia dude, Jeremy Stephans has some of the most brick ass punching power in the UFC.

Not that this means anything, but he hasn't knocked out anyone with a punch since training with Naudi. He started training with Naudi right around the Pettis fight. By the time Naudi was a major part of his training, he got completely outclassed standing against Cerrone and then KOed quickly by Yves. Since then he's looked pretty decent, but he hasn't really faced any strikers at all. I think Swanson will expose that.

Although that's a fundamentally different point, right? "Move your center of gravity here in order to remain balanced" vs "don't rotate your hips"

Although that's a fundamentally different point, right? "Move your center of gravity here in order to remain balanced" vs "don't rotate your hips"

It tap-dances a grey line. Not altogether a different point. Naudi isn't saying to keep the hips immobile.

No hate, but Naudi is a charlatan. His S&C approach is about as well founded as homeopathy or reiki.

To be fair both homeopathy and reiki is far more legit than naudis stuff.

Reiki is very out there but ive seen some cool abilities from reiki masters in india.

It tap-dances a grey line. Not altogether a different point. Naudi isn't saying to keep the hips immobile.

No. He is actually saying that you should not rotate your hips.

To be fair both homeopathy and reiki is far more legit than naudis stuff.

Reiki is very out there but ive seen some cool abilities from reiki masters in india.

Wat

Not that this means anything, but he hasn't knocked out anyone with a punch since training with Naudi. He started training with Naudi right around the Pettis fight. By the time Naudi was a major part of his training, he got completely outclassed standing against Cerrone and then KOed quickly by Yves. Since then he's looked pretty decent, but he hasn't really faced any strikers at all. I think Swanson will expose that.

The move he finishes the fight with is irrelevant when speaking to his striking power.

Naudi is one of his S&C coaches, not his striking coach. Blaming Naudi for getting outclassed by a better striker is like blaming Rippetoe when a guy on SS gets out techniqued in BJJ.

No one is saying Naudi built JS's punching power, not even Naudi or JS. Naudi is one of his S&C trainers who also does marketing for his other weighted ballet workout shit, that is all.

he has had impressive results with Nudi.

Naudi is one of his S&C coaches, not his striking coach. Blaming Naudi for getting outclassed by a better striker is like blaming Rippetoe when a guy on SS gets out techniqued in BJJ.

No one is saying Naudi built JS's punching power, not even Naudi or JS.
irtUm5zgFQIVQ.gif

Back