How to throw a punch with Jeremy Stephens (Bio-mechanically)

Yeah, kinda sloppy. The midsection movement is as important as the hips. Perhaps what he's trying to say is that the hip motion is over emphasized and not performed correctly enough, while the twisting of the core is overlooked. I can totally agree with that, having been in F11 for one second... but I don't think one takes precedent over the other in the whole of punching.

He goes on to say how maxing out the ROM on your oblique is necessary for max power, seemingly advocating keeping the hip back. I lost it there. I'm gonna go ahead and thumbs down this shit on Youtube. That'll teach him.

I'm not a striker (except strikingly handsome) but to me that posture seemed akward.

Called it.

Naudi:
The hips are not stationary in direct application, this is simply an exercise to make one aware of an element to striking not commonly known. Ofcourse the glutes (hip muscles) will have a major play, but too much articulation of one specific region of muscular is the definition of imbalance. Considering the imbalances present in people, overshooting hips comes standard. All i'm doing is throwing one more link in the chain that most don't know about.

Listen man, all I'm doing here is sharing information. It wasn't in my acknowledgement that Naudi has been criticized here in the past. I watched this video, thought it was interesting and I get Fuck you's in return ? You disagree ? I have no problem, but explain in a mature manner why, it'll make everyone more intelligent at the end of the day.

Sorry for the swearing, I didn't think it would be a big deal. Here's my post edited:

He lost me when he said he was going to teach a new way of punching that is better than the way that has been proven to work for centuries. And umm... twisting your torso is stronger than using your hips? Get real Naudi. He's basically teaching arm punches.

Really he is just making up some new punching mechanics to justify his wacky exercises. Fighters have been throwing strikes by using their hips AND still managing to stay in balance for centuries. I can do that and I'm a terrible Muay Thai fighter. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I see apizur's post and Naudi's response, and if that is Naudi's intention then he should explain it better in the video. It shouldn't be up to the viewer to try to figure out how this would be applied to proper punching mechanics. I would also argue that things that Naudi said in the video (e.g. his comment about maintaining balance better by not twisting your hips and not raising your rear foot) make it seem that he is ruling out hip rotation altogether. It makes me think that his comments after-the-fact about doing this in combination with hip rotation is his own revisionist history.

In my limited experience teaching boxing I have noticed that people will tend to over-rely on spinal rotation, unless you actually emphasize hip rotation. Basically, if you emphasize hip rotation the vast majority of non-movement-impaired people will end up doing both hip and spinal rotation. That is probably also why hip rotation is emphasized by any coach worth his salt.

In the video (1:50 of the first video), it is very clear that he suggests no hip rotation at all. That is just bad mechanics for a number of different reasons (fewer muscles involved, less joints involved equals less total acceleration produced, less mass behind the punch, relying solely on explosive spinal rotation posing a health risk, etc.). As an aside, in the video Jeremy had a clear lordotic posture while rotating his spine. That is a huge no-no, concurrent explosive extension+rotation is a mechanism for spinal injury.

Basically, as was mentioned before, Naudi is entirely clueless about exercise physiology (worse than that, he thinks he has a deep understanding of it while being clueless) and, based on the videos showing him hit the pads plus the fact that he has never competed, he has no real boxing/fighting experience and he is not an actual boxing coach. That's the worst kind of person to be listening to when it comes to them offering advice that goes against the grain.

TL;DR: howaboutno.jpg

That's a consistent theme in his exercises. When doing rotational medball throws and things like this, he is constantly putting himself into spinal torsion for no damn reason. Using muscles counter-rotationally to convey or absorb force is basically beyond him.

Listen man, all I'm doing here is sharing information. It wasn't in my acknowledgement that Naudi has been criticized here in the past. I watched this video, thought it was interesting and I get Fuck you's in return ? You disagree ? I have no problem, but explain in a mature manner why, it'll make everyone more intelligent at the end of the day.

Your last thread that I remember here was a Crossfit one and if I remember correctly it started with something like "MMA+Crossfit=Human Weapon" so my first assumption was trolling as well.

That is probably also why hip rotation is emphasized by any coach worth his salt.

...To death, so I do understand him taking a stab at highlighting other aspects of the punch. However, he paints an incomplete picture. I think his response was him realizing that a lack of hip rotation is retardified. Oh well, video's already made and has one like. I guess someone without core rotation will interpret this video some type of way and it will make the magic happen for them... and hopefully all of those people find this video. For the other 90% of us... we'll just go to sugarboxing.com

:icon_chee

Despite your hate for this Naudia dude, Jeremy Stephans has some of the most brick ass punching power in the UFC.

Despite your hate for this Naudia dude, Jeremy Stephans has some of the most brick ass punching power in the UFC.

Which is one of the reasons asking how a specific pro Fighter trains is a Forbidden Topic. Because many fighters are successful in spite of their training rather than because of it.

Prime Ali broke all the rules of Boxing; head up, hands down, talking to his opponent during the fight. But his ridiculous natural talents allowed him to win fights with a style that would have gotten mere mortals KTFO had they tried to do the same thing.

Naudi is just trying to reinvent the wheel. He's claiming to have developed a method of punching that is superior to the one that's been used for thousands of years by millions of fighters. What are the odds that Nuadi is right and some of the greatest strikers in the history of Boxing and the Martial Arts were wrong?:rolleyes:

I don't know exactly when Stephens started training with Naudi (I think it was 2011 or 2012) but looking at his record I'd say the most likely scenario is that Naudi isn't making a difference. Stephens lost to some top guys recently (Cerrone, Pettis) while beating some lower level guys and getting some KO wins. Which is pretty much the same as earlier in this UFC career. He actually had more KO wins earlier in his career but I'd chalk that up to fighting weaker competition outside the UFC.

Watching Naudias workouts with Stephens, they are pretty solid. None of that dancing shit, just sprints and core work.

Any idiot can put a guy through a core workout and some sprints. I am convinced the only reason Stephens goes to this guy is for mental reasons. Listening to him on Rogan, he seems very intelligent and talks about this exact subject and why he does some of the things he does regarding his training. Why he would trust a resistance dance instructor is beyond me but he has had impressive results with Nudi.

he's teaching people how to punch like in Karate as faar as I can tell

What's different? This is what I was reminded of. I did shotokan for a year, didn't like it, moved on to boxing.
That video is demonstrating a choku-tsuki which is done from a square-on stance (which is almost always stupid). I concede you can't use your hips properly if they start square-on. Naudi isn't discussing punching from a square-on stance.

A gyaku-tzuki is a reverse punch in Karate; with a gyaku-tzuki power comes from your hips.

Back