How to takedown a good kicker?

whitep0wer

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I come from a wrestling background so my standup is really poor. In mma sparring I want to get it to the ground as quick as posibble because like I said my standup isnt good, but I have been having a real hard time taking down good kickers in fear of getting kicked as I go in for the takedown. Maybe you know takedown setups I could use or maybe you feel I should just get over that fear and shoot. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Sonnen style...you probably gonna take a few while doing it...but you'll get it

Think of 'kickers' as giving you a leg, making your job easier.

Respect kicks but dont fear them, remember they are on one leg whilst kicking you. The classic 'set up' is a punch or two that makes them cover up, then shoot.

Fake shots/forward movement to make them kick, then re-shoot/clinch also works.

ya I try to catch the kick, but I am usually not fast enough

when he kicks u just catch the leg and take him down to the ground

attachment.php

The closer you are to your opponent and the more distracted they are the better your chance of success.

In other words, you need to be able to get close with your striking first.

If they kick everytime you step forward you can shoot off their kick. They are after all standing on one foot which makes it hard to defend. You just need to time it right. If they are more of a counter puncher get in with your strikes then drop and shoot under the counter. If they tend to run away cut them off, then drive them into the ropes / cage / whatever you got.

Regardless, the result is you are going to have to get kicked a lot in training. Get familiar with the angles, the timing, the distance, etc. Once you've taken away the unfamiliarity of the situation you'll have a easier time seeing the holes you need for getting in.

Not helping TS. Sorry but just can't do it with a screen name like that.

Hope you get pummeled standing and then kneed in the head when you shoot.

if the username offends you then get off my thread, no need to post that it offends you

Ok maybe i over reacted. Since catching a kick is the best way to start a take down. keep your hands low so its easier to catch his leg kick.

Go with what Platfox said. Give your opponent the bait at your ribs then drop your hands to catch the kick.

lol but if I keeped my hands dropped waiting for a kick and he kicks high im screwed

Back