how to take a punch?

I assume you forget to tuck your chin down. And when you get hit, shake it off, I mean it, shake it off. You feel better that way...

Out of experience, usually dudes who have taken a few beefy shots as a child tend to develop stronger jaws as they get older. This is not really a generalization, but just something I have learned from age.

Besides that, shoulders up & out, hands up, stiff neck, tucked chin... move your head.

I got dropped on the regular, some people just have iron chins.

you're gonna get punched no matter what. so the best thing for you to do is trust in your defense, have that chin tucked and bite down at all times

I take it you don't do much stand-up.

Don't listen to this guy. Getting punched is inevitable. I came into MMA from a Traditional Martial Art and Reality-Based Self Defense background. The people who teach those styles have this way of making you believe you're invincible, and that you can avoid being hit while dishing out punishment. When I started Muay Thai and Kickboxing sparring, I was in for a rude awakening about my invincibility.

There's a few ways I can advise you. First, you need to protect your jaw at all costs. You are going to get hit, but it is possible to go without being hit in the jaw. ALWAYS keep your chin DOWN. And, make sure you're clenching your jaw.

When you're defending, make sure to counterattack. That was one problem I had when I started sparring. I wanted to get so good at the defense, because being hit was a big shock to me. I would just sit there and try to defend every strike that was thrown at me, while ignoring all these great counterattack opportunities. Drill it into your head to take the opportunity when you see an opening for a counterattack. Defend, and then realize that your defense has done its job, and it's time to switch to offense.

Get rid of your ego before you step into the ring or wherever you're sparring. Realize before you step in that you are going to get hit no matter what happens, but as long as you keep your chin protected, you'll be okay. You can take an absolute battering to the forehead, believe me. It's when you start to get hit in the nose and jaw that you run into trouble.

Now, you say other fighters are good at remaining standing after they get hit. Are they taking clean shots to the face, or are they taking it on their forehead? You need to realize that the location of a punch on the face makes all the difference in the world.

Remember to stay calm when you're under attack. This took me many a sparring session to do, but I'm really getting good at it. Be confident enough in yourself that you can ride a storm of punches on the forehead (because believe me, you can). When you start to panic and clam up when someone's throwing punches at you, you tend to make yourself a much easier target than when you just relax, protect your chin, and fight your way out of it.

I'm guessing your problem is one of or both of these problems:

-You're getting hit in the nose or jaw, while the other fighters are getting hit in the forehead. That's why they're able to stay standing.

-You're not relaxing during sparring, and thinking of every strike that you didn't defend as a failure. If a punch or kick gets through your defense, relax. You need to learn to let the past go, and by past, I mean milliseconds. You need to always be focusing on the present and the very near future. Don't worry about a punch that hit you, and don't get cocky when you land a punch on him.

If you're getting wobbled, you're taking shots on the chin. If you're just finding yourself under a storm of punches, and in a very vulnerable, unbalanced position, you're not relaxing.

Strengthening your neck muscles will help. But I really don't believe that's your problem.

Just think about what I said, ask for help from your coaches, check your form, and RELAX! Sparring used to be this big test for me. I wanted to spar to get better, but at the same time I loathed having to get hit by guys who were bigger and better than me. After a while though, I really started to have fun sparring. Getting hit is really no big deal, as long as you're not taking it on the jaw. Sparring is an absolute blast once you learn to throw caution to the wind and not worry about getting hit anymore.

Good luck!

one of the best posts i've seen on sherdog!

I second that. You've basically said everything I needed to know! Let me add a solid stance to the list too. I tend to cross up my legs and go all wonky as soon as I'm hit, or turn away and turn my back. It's horrible. I'm very new to sparring and this whole getting hit thing is terrible for me. Or should I say the thought of getting hit. Actually getting hit doesn't bother me much and I think I have a solid chin. As soon as people start throwing punches at me I'm totally lost. You can't dodge or parry them all, so how do you stop them?? I guess you have to counterpunch at some stage in order to reverse the tables, but I'm really bad at counterpunching while under fire.

Yeah and biting really helps!

-You're getting hit in the nose or jaw, while the other fighters are getting hit in the forehead. That's why they're able to stay standing.

-You're not relaxing during sparring, and thinking of every strike that you didn't defend as a failure. If a punch or kick gets through your defense, relax. You need to learn to let the past go, and by past, I mean milliseconds. You need to always be focusing on the present and the very near future. Don't worry about a punch that hit you, and don't get cocky when you land a punch on him.

If you're getting wobbled, you're taking shots on the chin. If you're just finding yourself under a storm of punches, and in a very vulnerable, unbalanced position, you're not relaxing.

The only thing I might add to this excellent post is:

- Are you often dancing on your toes? You can plant your feet and "hunker down" when getting hit, and be more resistant that way

Watch Sugar Ray Leonard or Ali for example - they would dance around tippy toes but would plant down solid when they were attacked and couldn't get away immediately.

relax, when you are tense and nervous the shots seem to hurt more, plus you fatigue quicker. as the above posters have said, chin down hands up, take the shots on your forhead or gloves. oh and keep your elbows tucked in if you value your ribs.

the hardest part of sparring is learning to avoid counter punches. most likely you are getting hit as you go for a punch or immediately after when you are open.

Just Keep sparring and gaining experience, don't be afraid to get hit and like it was said before, strengthen those neck muscles! Try lying on your back and doing some bridges with ur Head. Your ability to take a punch will definitely improve with time.

Short Answer: GET HIT! When you know what to expect, you no longer have to fear it.

If you total newb in boxing that's not a problem. You got used to take punches smoothly. Don't be too tense that makes any punch solid. Try to be relaxed. The problem of many guys is not the weak chin but their fear that makes them freeze when they see the punch is landing.

Spin in a circle 3-4 times

2nkigc9.jpg

Only thing not mentioned is awareness.

If you are wary, you will see punches coming. Seen punches don't hurt as much

Spin in a circle 3-4 times

2nkigc9.jpg

Brock has disco fever!

p.s. TS work on your neck muscles and lift weights that focus on your core.
Lastly, watch some old Tyson videos and try to work on your head movement.

[YT]A42BzG80XWk[/YT]

This is my favorite Tyson video because anyone with a heavy bag can pretty much practice exactly what he's doing.
Perfect combinations mixed with perfect head movement.

Go ahead and strengthen your neck, but there's nothing wrong with training to not get hit. There's a lot of ways you can get better at avoiding attacks.

I heard once that being dehydrated can also affect how well you can take a punch

I heard once that being dehydrated can also affect how well you can take a punch

Being dehydrated affects your stamina, which affects your ability to recover from a punch. Also, if your gasping for breath and take one in the gut, your in trouble. The same would apply to if your gasping for breath with your mouth open and take one on the chin/jaw. Mouth open and jaw not clinched, the shot will do far more damage...... so in short, agreed!

Can't really add too much to what hasn't been said by Matt Thornton...

I will say, there are fighters with less than stellar chins who have done quite well for themselves. Know yourself, and start fighting in such a way that you maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses. If that means sticking and moving more, being more of a patient counterfighter, holding your hands higher than you like to, working on your footwork & head movement, you need to fight to your strengths.

Randy has never had an iron jaw, but the way he fights minimizes the amount of exchanges and chances to get cracked there are. By clinching and dirty boxing from a position with no space, he takes advantage of his strength up close, and takes away the space his opponent would need for a killshot. The guys that have beat him (for the most part) were the guys with good enough grappling and striking to shut him down.

Rich Franklin doesn't have a great jaw either, but his counterstriking style prevents all but the creme de la creme strikers from getting to his chin. He dashes in and out with powerful singular (or at the most, 2) strikes and dishes out damage to wear down and eventually overwhelm his opponents. In Franklin's case, his offense is his best defense.

Sem Schilt doesn't even have a great chin, but he uses his length and a very disarming style (teeps and straights from the outside, clinch and knees from the inside) to avoid exchanges & inside fighting.

But as Matt said, you need to have the basics down first. Be relaxed. Chin down/ hands up. Make sure you're not getting yourself into bad, hittable positions with your footwork. Move your head, roll with the punches. And get comfortable with punching in traffic. If all you're offering is defense, then they're just going to stay on the offensive, you absolutely need to fire back when the time is right, and the best way to do that is to jab. Circle right and jab. Check hook if they chase after you.

I take it you don't do much stand-up.

Don't listen to this guy. Getting punched is inevitable. I came into MMA from a Traditional Martial Art and Reality-Based Self Defense background. The people who teach those styles have this way of making you believe you're invincible, and that you can avoid being hit while dishing out punishment. When I started Muay Thai and Kickboxing sparring, I was in for a rude awakening about my invincibility.

There's a few ways I can advise you. First, you need to protect your jaw at all costs. You are going to get hit, but it is possible to go without being hit in the jaw. ALWAYS keep your chin DOWN. And, make sure you're clenching your jaw.

When you're defending, make sure to counterattack. That was one problem I had when I started sparring. I wanted to get so good at the defense, because being hit was a big shock to me. I would just sit there and try to defend every strike that was thrown at me, while ignoring all these great counterattack opportunities. Drill it into your head to take the opportunity when you see an opening for a counterattack. Defend, and then realize that your defense has done its job, and it's time to switch to offense.

Get rid of your ego before you step into the ring or wherever you're sparring. Realize before you step in that you are going to get hit no matter what happens, but as long as you keep your chin protected, you'll be okay. You can take an absolute battering to the forehead, believe me. It's when you start to get hit in the nose and jaw that you run into trouble.

Now, you say other fighters are good at remaining standing after they get hit. Are they taking clean shots to the face, or are they taking it on their forehead? You need to realize that the location of a punch on the face makes all the difference in the world.

Remember to stay calm when you're under attack. This took me many a sparring session to do, but I'm really getting good at it. Be confident enough in yourself that you can ride a storm of punches on the forehead (because believe me, you can). When you start to panic and clam up when someone's throwing punches at you, you tend to make yourself a much easier target than when you just relax, protect your chin, and fight your way out of it.

Strengthening your neck muscles will help. But I really don't believe that's your problem.

Just think about what I said, ask for help from your coaches, check your form, and RELAX! Sparring used to be this big test for me. I wanted to spar to get better, but at the same time I loathed having to get hit by guys who were bigger and better than me. After a while though, I really started to have fun sparring. Getting hit is really no big deal, as long as you're not taking it on the jaw. Sparring is an absolute blast once you learn to throw caution to the wind and not worry about getting hit anymore.

Good luck!

great post.

Well this is often a problem with newbies. It's not so much that you have a weak chin (or at least in most cases it isn't) as much as it is that you are not used to getting hit (see Lesnar). I have a buddy who just started training, and he has the basic conepts of form, stance, and hand placement down pat. But when he gets hit, he loses his footwork and stance, crosses his legs, gets on the bike, and begins to look kinda like a flamingo with polio. If this is you're problem, simply put on the gloves and spar some more. It takes time, but eventually you will get used to it. If your chin really is a problem, then work on head movement and keeping your hands up at all times.

Back