How to take a punch by rolling with them like Jake La Motta

giancana

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
can somebody tell me how to roll with punches I dont mean bob and weave I mean to have the reflex to take the energy of the punch when he reaches the chin like Jake La Motta, does it come from pure relaxation and than shifting weight with the hip which leads to the head movement ?or is it only the head movement away from the punch as a reflex when the punch touches the head.

btw: would you say that lamotta and marciano had the same "style" (crouch,toughness,weaveing,ducking slipping and aggression )

Last edited:
The best way i can explain it from my knowledge.

It starts at the feet as with anything in Boxing. If you stand completely square (like the guy pictured below), you're not going to be able to roll any punches. No matter how far your twist your head away from the punch.

stock-photo-male-boxer-in-a-defensive-stance-isolated-on-white-background-63851098.jpg

I don't know if you can probably make your own backward deduction from that statement. If not, i'm sure someone will come along.

The best way i can explain it from my knowledge.

It starts at the feet as with anything in Boxing. If you stand completely square (like the guy pictured below), you're not going to be able to roll any punches. No matter how far your twist your head away from the punch.

stock-photo-male-boxer-in-a-defensive-stance-isolated-on-white-background-63851098.jpg

I don't know if you can probably make your own backward deduction from that statement. If not, i'm sure someone will come along.

all wrong
rolling with punches is a motion similar to dancing with a shovel it is a really hard concept to explain though, if only there was a gif i could fall back on...
ahh hear we go
shovel-hook-hip-hunch.gif

seriously though t.s. did you mean rolling punches in general or doing it specifically like lamotta does it?

I am talking about taking the punch by rolling not slipping or bobing and weaving but as when you get punched to take the energy off by going into the same direction as the energy of the punch.

9min 39 Jake La Motta explains what I mean he calls it "riding the punches":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz9yrOjEm5I

roberto duran also did it look at 8min11, how he goes with the right hand of moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Pw2elzBik

Basically I just want to know if the movement is only a movement of the head or a wieght shift movement of the hip which leads to the movemenet of the hip

i get what your saying pretty much all boxers do that in some shape or form some are just better at it.
i just thought you were asking a more complicated question like how does lamotta's positioning contribute to his ability to roll with punches, and still stay an aggressive fighter.

i was taught that staying low and heavy and keeping your eyes on your target are the way to "ride a punch" because you are stable and with your hips under you it gives the ability to shift back and forth with the blows, vs being in a position where you dont have your hips under you(standing up so straight thet you lose your base or too square.

i was taught this but i still get caught out and get my bell rung more than i like though, i would be interested in what sully, sin etc got to say about this

i get what your saying pretty much all boxers do that in some shape or form some are just better at it.
i just thought you were asking a more complicated question like how does lamotta's positioning contribute to his ability to roll with punches, and still stay an aggressive fighter.

i was taught that staying low and heavy and keeping your eyes on your target are the way to "ride a punch" because you are stable and with your hips under you it gives the ability to shift back and forth with the blows, vs being in a position where you dont have your hips under you(standing up so straight thet you lose your base or too square.

i was taught this but i still get caught out and get my bell rung more than i like though, i would be interested in what sully, sin etc got to say about this

ok so from what I understood what you saying is this right?:

requirements for riding punches:

stance= bladed and lead foot facing opponent

when punch touches head = shift weight with hips to one side (same direction as the energy of the punch) which leads also to the movement of the head = takes energy of the punch
that sums up my understanding of this concept, you know when it is written down i have to admit my understanding is very rudimentary

I think it

Back