Economy How to survive the upcoming Coronavirus Recession/Depression

Stay healthy. Keep a normal routine. Work out. Maybe don't work out so much that you need to eat 10,000 calories a day, but don't let yourself atrophy.

Be willing to compromise; a large group of people who work for the same company as my wife recently walked out of their jobs (unskilled labor) because they felt they should be making more money to deal with this. But they are in for a rude awakening when they join the queue with the other unemployed. Don't make mistakes like that because you're stressed.

Speaking of: don't be afraid to apply for government benefits. No one is going to brow beat you for it right now.

If you're fairing well, I guess just treat your neighbors well. So far it's looking like I'm going to weather this storm okay, but I know my direct next-door neighbors are having a tough time. So I'll help them out if I can. That doesn't necessarily mean monetarily - maybe it's just helping them manage their stress by letting them vent or tossing them some kleenex over the fence or something. Small gestures will go a long way with people who feel like they (or literally do) have very little right now.

Stay healthy. Keep a normal routine. Work out. Maybe don't work out so much that you need to eat 10,000 calories a day, but don't let yourself atrophy.

Be willing to compromise; a large group of people who work for the same company as my wife recently walked out of their jobs (unskilled labor) because they felt they should be making more money to deal with this. But they are in for a rude awakening when they join the queue with the other unemployed. Don't make mistakes like that because you're stressed.

Speaking of: don't be afraid to apply for government benefits. No one is going to brow beat you for it right now.

If you're fairing well, I guess just treat your neighbors well. So far it's looking like I'm going to weather this storm okay, but I know my direct next-door neighbors are having a tough time. So I'll help them out if I can. That doesn't necessarily mean monetarily - maybe it's just helping them manage their stress by letting them vent or tossing them some kleenex over the fence or something. Small gestures will go a long way with people who feel like they (or literally do) have very little right now.

Great post. The working out thing is key. I went from 2 to 3 hour gym days to a home with no weights. Almost started getting depressed. Now I'm running with my daughter and taking some pretty cool local hikes.

We've also decided to just stop eating out(including take out). The amount of money we were spending was ridiculous. That shit is done. Plus it forces my daughter to eat at least somewhat healthier

Great post. The working out thing is key. I went from 2 to 3 hour gym days to a home with no weights. Almost started getting depressed. Now I'm running with my daughter and taking some pretty cool local hikes.

That's probably good bonding time for you guys too (though I imagine you're seeing a lot of each other now, anyway).

That's probably good bonding time for you guys too (though I imagine you're seeing a lot of each other now, anyway).

Yea. We've always been close. I was able to semi retire/work from home the last 8 something years.

She asks for NOTHING and saves her money. While most teens her age want everything

The next few years are really gonna show who the good and the bad are

Yea. We've always been close. I was able to semi retire/work from home the last 8 something years.

She asks for NOTHING and saves her money. While most teens her age want everything

The next few years are really gonna show who the good and the bad are

{<redford}

Good post

For me the slow down has been a bit of a moment to sit back and think about what’s truly important and that’s our families. Sometimes (guilty) one is too focused on the trivial things in life...nice cars, watches, clothing, boats, when the next vacation is....and they are all sitting there not being used at the moment. As my parents always say “no nos podemos llevar nada” ...we can’t take it with us i.e. when it’s all said and done the memories are all you take

Me personally I found a way to get my regular training in from home and it’s actually been very nice to sweat out here in the humid Florida sun everyday. I sit down with my lady by the pool or in the grass and we talk.....I’m able to reach my patients virtually for now and all in all this Caribbean style slow pace hasn’t been unwelcome. Praying things are “normal” sooner than later

Last edited:
My wife and I both grew up really poor. We're still incredibly tight with our money despite being very comfortably middle class with a good chunk of savings to fall back on. We're both healthcare workers so I'd be surprised if we're out of a job in the coming months......Who knows though.

I think the best we can do is just to continue being very cautious with our money, helping our neighbors/friends when needed, and keeping a level head. Housing prices potentially bottoming out might be an upside for us personally as we're going to start looking for homes soon anyway.

I've watched a ton of aquaponics and geothermal greenhouse videos on YouTube. Thinking now would be the perfect time to try and learn. Probably will never be needed but having the knowledge kinda puts me at ease

I'm in the process of converting my garage into a living space. My BIL hit the worst of luck, and his family is going to get kicked out if he cant meet the bills....... so..... I'm going to bail him out...... the idea of living so close to the inlaws... whatever, no time to think this through, cleaning my shit out

Im putting all my eggs in the "I hope they cancel all payments for a year" basket. In all seriousness, I start working from home tomorrow and I have been stocked since early February. Got a few N95s, rice, beans, plenty of regular old dusk masks in the shop I had already, multivitamins, sanitizing wipes, tp, toothpaste, etc. Freezer is full of venison from this passed season and catfish are hungry in the pond. I believe me and the family will make it.

I'm in the process of converting my garage into a living space. My BIL hit the worst of luck, and his family is going to get kicked out if he cant meet the bills....... so..... I'm going to bail him out...... the idea of living so close to the inlaws... whatever, no time to think this through, cleaning my shit out

Good for you man.

I think there is gonna be alot of that

Wonder how hard it would be to take equity out of your house at the moment. I'm assuming it would probably be tough.

I predict a haircut of at least 30% for housing in the near term

What does this dumb ass post even mean? Honestly it’s just words on a screen with no meaning behind them at all.

Interest rates are low and if you qualify for a refinance then you can refinance.

What Congress must do is cut taxes on corporations and the rich. Make it easier to not pay taxes.

Cut entitlements
Cut education costs

Oh and give massive financial aid to corporations and farmers. Also raise military spending. Run higher deficits!!!! And start a foreign war!!

What does this dumb ass post even mean? Honestly it’s just words on a screen with no meaning behind them at all.

Interest rates are low and if you qualify for a refinance then you can refinance.

Lol. You do understand credit markets are frozen, right? And refinancing and taking equity out of your home are not the same.

You can not just call up and take money out of your house dumb ass. You can not really be this stupid. Oh wait

Lol. You do understand credit markets are frozen, right?

You can not just call up and take money out of your house dumb ass. You can not really be this stupid

My brother owns a mortgage company and he’s refinancing people as you type nonsense

And like I said if you QUALIFY then you can refinance your home.

My brother owns a mortgage company and he’s refinancing people as you type nonsense

And like I said if you QUALIFY then you can refinance your home.

You really are dumb. You did not even understand my post. A simple refi is not taking money out of your fucking house

You owe 300k on your 380k house. You think it's easy to take 50k out of your residence right now. Even you can not be this dumb.....even you

You really are dumb. You did not even understand my post. A simple refi is not taking money out of your fucking house

You owe 300k on your 380k house. You think it's easy to take 50k out of your residence right now. Even you can not be this dumb.....even you

Lol I own quite a few investment properties and also did mortgages before. I def have an idea that you’re talking out your ass

And like I said genius, if QUALIFY you can cash out refinance. You still don’t get that basic point.

Back