How to strengthen your guard?

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Even other white belts are passing my closed guard like I'm on my back just waiting for side mount. The most basic techniques are breaking my guard.

What exercises do I have to do to strengthen my guard OR what techniques do I need to work on to keep in from happening?

I don't know very many sweeps yet, and the ones I do know are for shit right now.

You need to learn how to set sweep and submissions attempt together like a combo..

If he blocks the sweep then he is open to the submission and vice versa.

simple example: hip bump sweep and kimura.

...to add to what Lechien said if you do not know many sweeps or submissions yet - work on keeping their posture broken and constantly attack with what sweep(s) or sub(s) you do know. The more they have to work to defend, the less energy they have to try and pass. We like to think that closed guard is "safe" and it is, but not if you hang out there without attacking.

Peace,
Zen Mojo

Get your grips, use your shoulder for pressure and whisper something dirty to the mat as you pass...

Guard isn't a position to hang out and hold on, you need to be attacking sweeps or subs to keep the other person on the defensive.

You just need to practice. There isnt some secret technique thats going to save you, you need to learn the leverage and movements required and this only comes with time.

playing the closed guard is tough, and it takes ages to learn, but once you master it the people you train with would rather land on the bottom than venture into your guard. Give it a year and then see how the other white belts feel about jumping into your guard! Oh and patience is a virtue.

being a fresh white belt I can say if you keep their posture broken they can't/shouldn't be able to pass your guard
if they are posturing up tug on their lapel or put your hand on the crown of their head and pull down, its easier to hold them down if the weakest point(neck) is being controlled by the furthest lever(top of their skull)

then just go for a triangle or omoplata or gogoplata or what i did the other day and go for triangle or gogo and when they posture up switch to an arm bar

training partner didn't even see it comming haha

Break their grips an posture. Then there's no pass.

Note: If you've been training less than about 3 months, you don't have enough basic knowledge to implement any advice. The only advice that make sense at all levels is keep training and the problem will solve itself. Have faith.

I second (or third, or fourth) all of the above. Break grips, break posture. Threaten some chokes. Trap an arm. Work for a sweep and transition into an armbar or vice versa. Use your legs: push your opponent back/pull him toward you, depending.

Focus on what is the most immediate threat to maintaining your guard. If one arm is levering your legs apart, double up on that arm and pull it away.

Of course, most of this comes with experience, and there is no substitute for long, hard hours on the mat. Everyone gets passed at first. Hang in there, Brother. You will be fine. It's just a matter of time and repetitions.

Break their grips an posture. Then there's no pass.

Note: If you've been training less than about 3 months, you don't have enough basic knowledge to implement any advice. The only advice that make sense at all levels is keep training and the problem will solve itself. Have faith.

Yeah I'm gonna second this one. See my sig line.

Agree with Rambo...

You need to break posture and grips. The rest is about being comprehensive. You need sweeps and submissions to work in tandem. I apologize if this is too remedial, but I would recommend you drill the hell out of the two most basic guard submissions (Triangle and Armbar) and then some basic sweeps.

Triangle finish is key

Having a dangerous triangle makes people jumpy and will open up the armbar and sweeps. Get your instructor to show you the armbar... there are a lot of mechanical problems with that one.

I'd suggest you drill the shit out of 2 or 3 basic sweeps.

Hip Bump Sweep
Scissor Sweep
Flower sweep

Omoplata sweep can follow these later, but the sweeps and subs above tie in BEAUTIFULLY with the omoplata.

I am going to suggest something a little less conventional than the other advice. Start in bottom side control and work escapes back to guard. I believe this will develop your escapes and give you more confidence in your bottom game. This will allow your guard game to flow more naturally. You won't be so worried about people passing your guard when you are going for the sweeps and submissions that others have talked about. Also, and probably most importantly, if you get better at recovering guard you will be able to get to guard more and have more opportunity to practice the position.

Kind of what the others have said. I'm a white belt also, but try keeping your guard "active". That means, work towards trapping arms, breaking posture, climbing up your legs (into a high closed guard), etc.

Also, don't be afraid to open up your guard. That was one of the biggest hurdles I over came and now, if I can't work something in closed guard, I open it up right away.

If your open guard is solid, and posing a threat, it will be much harder for them to concentrate on passing.

i dont know how strong you are or what your built like but heavy squats,v-ups,russian twists and planks help strong legs so its hard to open your guard and a strong core help alot.

As above stay active! learn to constantly be attacking going for sweeps and submissions.
collar choke to scissor sweep
upa sweep to kimura to guillotine
armbar to triangle to armbar.

keep your hips moving hipping out side to side.

stay active!!!! if you just lock them in your closed guard its only a matter of time before your muscles give out they break your gaurd and pass,if your constantly throwing up subs and sweeps they're going to be too busy defending to think about passing your guard.
i am not good off my back part of it is my build part of it is the fact that i train judo and part of it is just that i prefer being on top,but ive found ive performed alot better in rolling once i decided to keep my hips and legs moving and chain techniques together.
alot of the time i just chain armbar triangle and kimura attempts until a sweep opens up or i get the sub.

take what i say with a grain of salt as i'm by no means a great or experienced grappler but it works for me.

Keep going to class. You will learn closed guard is completely out of style and you will be sweeping people and submitting them with ease.

if they are trying to pass kneeling and pushing their back against your ankles to break, then reach your feet down to their butt if that makes sense--kinda like you are clamping your feet to their butt.

if they are standing to break use your legs plus a collar grip to break them when the are going to get a foot on the mat.

really work on getting the cross collar grip. Break their grips. and use legs to help break posture.

Back