How to stop getting extended out on shot attempts

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SIG Nature, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SIG Nature

SIG Nature Orange Belt

I am a first year wrestler. I wrestle at 126 and I'm pretty strong for my weight class. My coach says I've got a fast shot with a decent set-up. But 90% of my losses start with me getting extended out on a bad high crotch or double leg. I seem to have trouble turning the corner.

Any advice on how to finish my shots better?

2. JJBoy

JJBoy Yellow Belt

Shoot from closer than you used to and keep your hips under you, but you already knew that.

3. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Work on keeping a GREAT posture when you shoot. When you get in on a double, your back should nearly be straight, head up and the leg that you are using to drive up, so you use your head and leg to drive and turn the corner. Make sure your butt is not sitting on your ankles. If your butt is sitting on your ankles, he can drive right through you. Something very imporant is the angle change on a high-c/ double. As soon as you get in the shot, you need to change your angle by stepping up big and USING YOUR HEAD. Make sure after you shoot, you are kind of taking an angle like a sweep single, that is what turning the corner is once you are in on the shot. Notice the slight adjustment on the angle in this video from when he is deep in his shot and turns the corner. He takes an angle. Hard to explain, but you should see. Here is a good video of the double:

So with a sweep single, your hands are down on his calf while your head is right above his hip. Again, your back should almost be straight. When you lifting up his leg for a single leg, drive into him and the leg comes right up. If you try to pick it up without driving, you have a less chance of getting the single leg up. Just use your head to drive and make sure you have a good posture.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Here is a good video of double leg turning the corner that helped me a lot when I used to wrestle. This is how you take the angle. You windshield whip (didn't want to say that without having a video to show). Personally, I hate the chop the knee. I say turn the corner and drive, but either one works. If he sprawls and you windshield whip fast enough, he usually falls onto all fours anyway.

5. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not a wrestler, but I am curious about this. When I watch REALLY high-level wrestling competition, they seem to do it differently than advised. When I watched Burroughs win the gold medal this year, for example, his double leg looked exactly like what you are told not to do, he just kind of reaches behind the knees with his arms stretched out and extended well ahead of his base and then explodes through like a sprinter until he gets his base back under him, pulling with his arms.

Shoot closer and keep more base is the ideal, but it always looks like the GREAT wrestlers can't get that kind of deep penetration against other great wrestlers, and make up for it by finishing with such drive and intensity. Basically they still expect to finish even though the opponent won't let them get deep penetration.

Just a layman's observation, curious if guys who know more about wrestling disagree.

6. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Burroughs is doing a *** (Japanese, that is what it is called) double leg, it is much different than turning the corner. Instead of your head being outside and using it to drive the corner, you have your head on the inside and you drive straight through them. It is also called a blast double. Jordan doesn't really turn the corner because he has such good timing and his shot and is so explosive that he perfect the blast double. Notice how when he shots and the other guy sprawls, he pops out and waits for you to come back up, and re-shoots. He has a sick re-shot! At 1:40 is a PERFECT example of a blast/Japanese double (it won't let me write ***).

7. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

TS, are you shooting from the clinch or the outside? A problem I used to have was in the clinch if I felt like I the opponent was getting the better of me I would rush the shot and they will sprawl out and I would be extended unable to turn the corner. I also wrestled at 125 lbs

8. Eddieg

Eddieg Brown Belt

Same exact scenario for myself, weight and all.

9. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Yeah, you have to do a shot until it is second nature. I think maybe you guys were/are hesitating once you shoot. You have to shot and finish quickly because you can't shoot and wait a second against high level wrestlers. They will capitalize. Drill your techniques at a reasonable pace so you get the muscle memory perfect.

10. Minnja

Yeah, a big part of it is the mental game. If you are losing the hand-fighting in the clinch and just shoot because you feel like you are stuck, chances are you are gonna get sprawled on hard. You have to learn how to successfully hand-fight and if you are losing you have to have the composure to at least get to a neutral position and maybe break the clinch and set something up from the outside. Always be looking for the opening and if you see it you have to act fast.

I used to get armdrags but do nothing with them because in my mind I had to register first that I actually got a successful armdrag before I do anything, but at that point the opponent already takes a step back.

Also, I only wrestled 1 year in high-school, but oddly enough I feel like I've been getting much better at it while I am training jujitsu. A big part of it has been confidence and patience, something I lacked while I was in high-school.

11. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

By step back, you mean he squared up right?

Definitely mental. And you have to work your ties no doubt. I feel comfortable tying up with anyone because I know what tie to go for with my style of wrestling. Not everyone does every move. You just have to get a series down. An underhook series can be deadly if used correctly.

12. Minnja

Yeah, squared up. Now when I get an armdrag I immediately shoot or go for a bodylock to a trip. You have any vids or advice for setups while clinching? I still feel that I am a bit weak in the area, I've definitely gotten much better but feel pretty limited as I primarily try to get an armdrag or setup a snapdown, or just handfight until they get sloppy and then take a shot. I feel like working on a more dominating clinch game would do me a lot of good.

13. youngsteinel

youngsteinel Silver Belt

Getting him off balance and uncomfortable is the best way to shoot. Here are some good videos:

My favorite video. Just getting keeping him uncomfortable.

Notice how he grabs the chin on the front headlock and keeps his elbow up

14. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Thanks for dropping the knowledge youngsteinel. Interesting stuff.

15. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

There are no hard and fast rules in wrestling. Telling you how to not get extended is like trying to tell you how to ride a unicycle. There is no one set way. All I can say is this: There are a few principals you need to live by, and when you do those, the set up, shot, and finish really are only personal preferences. Here are a few of the principals:

You have to either get them off balance or the weight distributed unevenly on their feet for a set up. Otherwise, you are going to have to rely on pure speed.

You have to at least get your knee parallel with their feet on a penetration step.

You have to pop your hips in hard once you get a hold of their legs.

When you finish, you need their upper body going the opposite way of their legs. All finishes have this quality if you really think about it.

After you understand those things, you will understand why a Burroughs double leg and a Tom Brands single leg are worlds different but both work equally well. To the untrained eye, they look like different things but if you look at both, they both have the exact qualities I explained. Probably not the magic answer you were looking for but I know it will be the most helpful if you take it to heart. BTW, even Olympic Champs get strung out on their shots once in awhile.