How to spar "fearless" opponent?

You think I'm playing, but I'm willing to bet money that kid could whoop everybody on this thread boxing

I think the problem for you is likely lack of creativity and combinations. Of course this is all based on your 1 post and i would have to watch you spar to be sure what youre doing wrng.

Apizur and a guy gave good joint advice: sit down on your jab, and stand your ground. Try to get in the habit of sticking him with your jab and then turning, rather than backing up. Chances are he won't know what to do with you if you keep him from setting his feet like that. Jab him, pivot, jab him again while he turns to face you--rinse and repeat, mix in the occasional right hand or uppercut if he tries to come under your straights.

Thank you. And to which side should I pivot? Because these pressure fighters I talked about are southpaws. Im orthodox but can switch to southpaw, but I usually dont do it because they dont like it.
So if I fight against southpaw which side to pivot and if against orthodox which side?

Thank you. And to which side should I pivot? Because these pressure fighters I talked about are southpaws. Im orthodox but can switch to southpaw, but I usually dont do it because they dont like it.
So if I fight against southpaw which side to pivot and if against orthodox which side?

If they are southpaws then be wary circling to your left. Get your lead foot outside their lead foot and jab or hook over the top of their right hand/shoulder. You can pivot counter-clockwise and they will have nothing on you.

Any time you circle to your right they have very few options. If you step at a 45 degree angle to your right and pivot you will have a tight angle and they will have to turn more to line you up. This will, of course, give you ample time to keep hitting them.

Moving to your left (their right) can be risky because they have more options to punish you. That being said, you can use that "inside angle" to get off their line while keeping yours and you can land some damage. If fighting a southie and using angles is relatively new to you, I'd stick to working that outside angle and step to the outside of their lead foot.

I wrote a bit about angles in this article back in March, scroll down to the diagram toward the end:

http://a-neutral-corner.blogspot.ca/2014/03/my-two-cents-part-one-meditations-on.html

Hope this helps!

If they are southpaws then be wary circling to your left. Get your lead foot outside their lead foot and jab or hook over the top of their right hand/shoulder. You can pivot counter-clockwise and they will have nothing on you.

Any time you circle to your right they have very few options. If you step at a 45 degree angle to your right and pivot you will have a tight angle and they will have to turn more to line you up. This will, of course, give you ample time to keep hitting them.

Moving to your left (their right) can be risky because they have more options to punish you. That being said, you can use that "inside angle" to get off their line while keeping yours and you can land some damage. If fighting a southie and using angles is relatively new to you, I'd stick to working that outside angle and step to the outside of their lead foot.

I wrote a bit about angles in this article back in March, scroll down to the diagram toward the end:

http://a-neutral-corner.blogspot.ca/2014/03/my-two-cents-part-one-meditations-on.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot! And please, could you describe to me how correct pivot to left and also to right looks like? Because Im relatively new to boxing and Im not sure if I do it correctly.
When I pivot to left I just turn on my lead leg so my toes are pointing in the direction I want to be facing, then I just shift my right leg naturally backwards in a little bit of circle motion, using also a little bit of hips.
When pivoting to right (this Im not sure if Im doing it right), I step outside with my rear leg, outside to the side and quickly shift my other leg to that leg with that litle bit circular motion, so I end up southpaw like this. But I think Im doing it wrong, because I feel like Im using just athleticism when doing this right pivot, I guess it should be done differently, or no?

Also Im little bit confused also about the left pivot because my trainer told me that it can be used only when opponent charges at you. Because if he stands still, and you pivot , he will not be in front of you but at your left side, little bit in front...if you know what I mean...

So if you could clarify this left and right pivot to me, that would be great!

Keep your chin tucked, always face and look at the opponent, mix it up to the body and head. The body shots will add up, vary the type of strikes and your combos don't become to predictable. And become fearless your self you are in boxing by choice, nobody is forcing you. Accept that getting badly hurt is a possibility.

Focus on footwork, movement and feints to create new angles for attacking with the uppercut and targetting the body. If not. Target his actual arms to tire
& weaken them.

In my opinion, the best way to retreat against a southpaw is to your right, in the direction of their power. It's actually easier for them to keep you in front of them if you step back and left. If you step back and right, it's harder for them to move that direction (think of how every beginner asks how to move diagonally forward to the right, switch it for southpaws) and consider that you'll actually move past their rear hand, not into it. The range keeps you safe but you can often bait their rear punch, slip it and pivot to a dangerous inside angle with your right hand. Throw a few punches, knock them on their heels, get some space/respect and get back to work on the outside.

Back