How to spar "fearless" opponent?

Torak

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
In boxing, how should I spar someone who seems like he doesnt have fear? I like to fight on the outside and jab and use my rear straight. I love hooks but I gained a little bit of mental block and Im little bit affraid to use hooks therefore. Its because a lot of times I threw a hook my opponent ducked under and hit me with lightning fast hook of his own. It was just so fast that I didnt have the time to see it coming. Then I tried to build a reflex of ducking after every hook of mine, to avoid potential hooks from my opponent. But my trained said I shouldnt do that, and basically I try to just use straight punches and front hook when Im back-pedalling.

But thats not the main part of my question. The thing I wanted to ask in the first place is this: I have few sparring partners who dont use footwork very much and only cover their head with those big gloves. So when I jab , its like nothing. When I cross, its like nothing. They just cover and GO FORWARD at me , slowly, with small steady steps. Its SO frustrating. I know Im supposed to throw a hook when they are covering the front of their head(face) but as I said before, Im affraid they will just duck under and take my head off with their hook after they duck under...

So basically I just go backwards jabbing the whole time, but many times my opponent just walks through my jab and throws hooks at me so fast that Im not able to evade all of them. These are not so strong as the ducking counter hook of other opponents but they are strong and fast enough to let me realise that I should not be hit by them.

I personally think I have good footwork and fast feet in comparison with the rest of people but it seems to me like these "pressuring covering opponents" are always able to just cut me off when circling or something...also I think, sometimes some of my sparring partners who see themselves as strong or bulky, are not affraid of my power. They dont respect my punches. Im a big guy and fast but they just cover and pressure my like a little girl. I feel like Im bullied ... :D

Please, can you give me some advice?

If your training partners are trying to take your head off in every sparring session I think there is more going wrong than you not dealing with it properly...

Hit and run man. Mix it up to the body, angle out, and frustrate them.

There's this 12 year old that really beat the **** out of a 16 and 17 year old the same week. The guy was fearless, like you say. He doesn't care to get hit to land his 12 year old bombs.

The last time the kid fought he knocked the person out. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The kid really has balls and for a 12 year old he's huge.

He only has one gear, forward. Not only that but the kid has a nice gas tank. It's actually scary. What happens when that bout turns 14 15 16?

There's this 12 year old that really beat the **** out of a 16 and 17 year old the same week. The guy was fearless, like you say. He doesn't care to get hit to land his 12 year old bombs.

The last time the kid fought he knocked the person out. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The kid really has balls and for a 12 year old he's huge.

He only has one gear, forward. Not only that but the kid has a nice gas tank. It's actually scary. What happens when that bout turns 14 15 16?

Y7iPVjN.jpg

^ I'm saying. I didn't want to say Mike Tyson cause then it might seem that I'm over reacting but I'm not.

The kid was 12 and was just walking down 16 and 17 year olds. Completely shutting them out. One day I know eventually I'm going to spar him, but I don't know how I'm going to cope with so much relentless attack.

Stop trying to get a reaction out of him from your power. If you can't hurt him then just relax and let your punches happen. Keep popping your jab out there and mix in a lot of feints, then slide away. Keep him turning the whole time.

A guy who fights like that wants to get in your head with their strength and pressure, so you need to get into his head by not staying put. The more you hit him without being hit in return the more he is going to start to feel lost.

Try body jabs and up jabs. What I see a lot against that type of fighter is people start giving too much ground. If you're stepping back as you're jabbing, it should only be to blind him. Set your feet, bend your knees and spear him in the solar plexus, or from a similarly low position stick your jab upwards at him while driving with your rear foot. If you throw it well and he doesn't slip, he's not gonna just walk through it. That should give you some space. Make your jabs quality and dangerous when you need to stop him for a second.

You're gonna have to make him respect something, or be able to pivot around him in tight. If he's coming forward and about to push you to the ropes, change levels then step in with your lead shoulder forward. Cover his lead arm with your rear if you can, then pivot to your right and hit him after you turn. Trying to move around on the outside will only work if you can change directions well and know how to set your feet and hit when you need to. Otherwise you need respect for your punches, tight pivots/clinch work or both together to keep him off. You have to figure out when and how to hold your ground without playing into his game.

If hes trying to come under your punches, uppercuts are your friend. But I think its best to sometimes stand your ground for a bit if you get outpositioned (like near the ropes), try to block the first hooks and then counter him with some of your own, if they dont land, they at least buy you some time to pivot out and reset. If you try to only evade him by footwork and backing out, they will eventually catch you and overwhelm you... mix it up, you can also clinch, but I prefer stay in mid range a bit when they close the gap then calmy find an exit and start the outside game again.

I'd agree with most of the rest.

Put some sting into the jab and if he puts up a tight high guard then throw some hard jabs and straights to the solar plexus. Make him hit air, frustrate him and then if he catches you on the ropes or gets in hook range then close the distance, smother him, spin him around and seperate again. Just be mindful on the breaks.

Keeping the proper range is very important if you don't want to go toe to toe, but you have to put some hesitation into him. Make him pay for coming into punching range and walking you down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Circles. Body jab. When they know you body jab fake it to set up rights to the face. Fake high, jab low. Circles.

Damn, I skimmed the first sentence, then skimmed the first sentence of the second paragraph and it looks like you're asking an entirely different question. Good thing I caught that tl;dr before I was one paragraph deep.

I'll come back later and answer one of them.

^ I'm saying. I didn't want to say Mike Tyson cause then it might seem that I'm over reacting but I'm not.

The kid was 12 and was just walking down 16 and 17 year olds. Completely shutting them out. One day I know eventually I'm going to spar him, but I don't know how I'm going to cope with so much relentless attack.
Forget that he's 12 and try to really hurt him. I'm not doubting his skills, but I'm sure in the back of the 17 year olds head is that little spark of humanity that says, "hold back a little on power, this is just a kid".

You gotta hit him like he owes you money

You need to have a little more base in your jab. If you're just poking people with your jab and they're not reacting to it, then you need a little stiffer of a jab. If they shell up a lot, aim the jab for the forehead and try to pick their chin up with it.

Also, ask one question at a time please.

Forget that he's 12 and try to really hurt him. I'm not doubting his skills, but I'm sure in the back of the 17 year olds head is that little spark of humanity that says, "hold back a little on power, this is just a kid".

In fact, when you kick his ass, take his money.

The money his mom gave him for ice cream.

Pinche co

Apizur and a guy gave good joint advice: sit down on your jab, and stand your ground. Try to get in the habit of sticking him with your jab and then turning, rather than backing up. Chances are he won't know what to do with you if you keep him from setting his feet like that. Jab him, pivot, jab him again while he turns to face you--rinse and repeat, mix in the occasional right hand or uppercut if he tries to come under your straights.

None of us knew he was 12 until after the sparring. We all thought he was 15

None of us knew he was 12 until after the sparring. We all thought he was 15

I'm pretty young and look way older than my age. I constantly spar grown men and (not to brag) embarrass them consistently. If I had to fight myself I would use body shots and movement to frustrate me. Tie up when he charges in, hard body shot, exit at a angle. Don't try to kill him with power shots to the head, he's only 12.

lol@advocatingbeatingofa12yearold

Back