How to shrink a gi properly

georgwilhelm**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How do I go about it if I want to shrink my gi a bit but in a controlled manner? Especially if I want to shrink only the body, not the arms? Like the length is fine, it's just a bit baggy.

Shrinking the body alone in the manner you want is going to be quite difficult, especially if you want to keep the length but not the girth and also not affect the arms.

Best option in situations like these, but it's probably not what you want, is to see if you can get it tailored. If it's a one piece, it most likely won't be afterwards, since they'd need to remove material.

How much length are you looking to get rid of circumference wise?

Shrinking the body without the arms is nearly impossible without tailoring. I've seen somewhere you can wet the body, then put it in the dryer. But even then the arms will still shrink a little.

I've seen somewhere you can wet the body, then put it in the dryer. But even then the arms will still shrink a little.

I think I will try something like that. Would you do 10 minutes steps?

Bellicose, I don't know yet how much I wanna lose...haven't received the gi yet. Just wanted to ask in time because as soon as it arrives I want to start the process so I can start using the gi.

Would you guys rather shrink by hot washing or hot drying? I tend to drying...

I bought a customized one, had it for a few weeks now and it's great. send me a message if you want the details, I don't think you're allowed to post the names etc on here.

But tumble drier is your only real option!

A lot of my readers have hypothesized that you can shrink only a certain part of a gi by making sure it it 100% dry, then wetting down the part you want to shrink and throwing it in the dryer. The idea is that the wet part will shrink while the dry part, less so.

Yes. I have done a part-specific shrinking of a gi. I soaked the part I wanted to shrink (sleeves in my case) and wore it to the sauna. Not a sissy steam-room, but to an honest oldfashioned sauna.
Got the sleeves to fit perfectly, even measured them with that competition-stick-measurement-thingy in the sauna to keep it in competition fit, and the rest didnt shrink notably, (about 1cm aorund the waist while the sleeves lost about 2cm at the cuff) I just kept wetting the parts that I wanted to shrink more, like the upper part.

Worked fine for me.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice their shrunk gi stretches out like crazy when training, esp the super lightweight material gis?

any other personal experiences with shrinking a gi?
Yes, Keep away from the Adidas brand Gi's, they shrink to nothing. I brought a J800 8 months back at a 5.5 and its down, sleeve wise, to about a 4.

Just brought a Mizuno Yusho IJF from Judogis.co.uk. I'll rate it for what my opinion is worth to newcomers.

Back