How to ruin a good series - Money Heist (Casa de Papel)

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So Casa de Papel - poorly translated into Money Heist (the correct translation would be House of Paper), is a Spanish 3 season series on Netflix. As my wife and I both speak Spanish we thought this would be a good series to binge watch, and so it was for the first several episodes.

The plot is somewhat similar to the movie Inside Man which stars Denzel Washington and Clive Owen, yet it’s still different and unique. Basically a group of people which specializes in burglaries, each with a unique set of skills, decides to break into Spain’s money printing building and print themselves a billion Euros, both for profit as well as a fuck you to the corrupt banking establishment.

The show starts off with interesting and likeable characters, a well thought out plan, and a solid storyline. But somewhere midway through the first season it just starts to get more stupid with each episode. I should have seen it coming as it was a Netflix series, but gave it the benefit of the doubt because in my experience the Spaniards are generally much better at making flicks than most of the American crap that gets released lately. Yet slowly but surely an obvious feminist bullshit agenda began to merge, along with characters becoming increasingly unrealistic and childish, despite supposedly being the best at their craft.

I managed to get through the first two seasons mostly because my wife wanted to keep watching, but found myself screaming at the tv more and more with each unbelievable episode. Yes I know it’s just a show, but I just couldn’t stand the inconsistencies and if a show presents itself as realistic at the beginning, I kinda expect it to follow the same criteria and not insult the audiences intelligence with nonsense.

Without ruining it with spoilers, has anyone else watched this show, and what did you think?

Last edited:
I stopped watching after 3-4 episodes, when the series started to become a romantic soap opera. Good premise though, it's a shame

So Casa de Papel - poorly translated into Money Heist (the correct translation would be House of Paper), is a Spanish 3 part series on Netflix. As my wife and I both speak Spanish we thought this would be a good series to binge watch, and so it was for the first several episodes.

The plot is somewhat similar to the movie Inside Man which stars Denzel Washington and Clive Owen, yet it’s still different and unique. Basically a group of people which specializes in burglaries, each with a unique set of skills, decides to break into Spain’s money printing building and print themselves a billion Euros, both for profit as well as a fuck you to the corrupt banking establishment.

The show starts off with interesting and likeable characters, a well thought out plan, and a solid storyline. But somewhere midway through the first season it just starts to get more stupid with each episode. I should have seen it coming as it was a Netflix series, but gave it the benefit of the doubt because in my experience the Spaniards are generally much better at making flicks than most of the American crap that gets released lately. Yet slowly but surely an obvious feminist bullshit agenda began to merge, along with characters becoming increasingly unrealistic and childish, despite supposedly being the best at their craft.

I managed to get through the first two seasons mostly because my wife wanted to keep watching, but found myself screaming at the tv more and more with each unbelievable episode. Yes I know it’s just a show, but I just couldn’t stand the inconsistencies and if a show presents itself as realistic at the beginning, I kinda expect it to follow the same criteria and not insult the audiences intelligence with nonsense.

Without ruining it with spoilers, has anyone else watched this show, and what did you think?
I haven’t seen this show but I generally would rather see a series end before it becomes uncharacteristic of itself.

I gave up on it on the last episode of season 1. good premise poorly executed.

I loved it but it did have a few stupid parts. And I think they stretched out the story a little too much to fill the first 2 seasons.

Season 3 seems pointless. I started watching but they can't recapture what they had. It's gone.

unfortunately i could only watch 3-4 episodes before it was unbearable,
The Day is another bank heist show but all class
MV5BMDVlZTFjZTEtZGI3Yy00YTE1LWJhNDAtOTRiZWI0YjgzZjVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUxMzI3Mw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

I liked Season 1 and 2 of La Casa De Papel. "Berlin" stole the show IMO.

Season 3 was of lesser quality, but not the complete trainwreck that I imagined it would be.

I liked Season 1 and 2 of La Casa De Papel. "Berlin" stole the show IMO.

Season 3 was of lesser quality, but not the complete trainwreck that I imagined it would be.
Berlin was the best character, but of course they couldn’t have a strong heterosexual male running the show so they managed to reduce him from a no nonsense guy who is willing to execute a hostage just for hiding a cellphone, to a weakling who allows himself to be pushed around by a bunch of teenagers and two obnoxious sluts who somehow get away with treason, jeopardizing the entire operation ten times over, playing Russian roulette with him tied to a chair, etc...

Of course later they kill him off and the crew is suddenly run by the young idiots who break every rule they agreed to abide by, you end up with two skinny 20 year old women pointing guns at 5 trained assassins and winning every Mexican standoff. The male characters are reduced to complete idiots who are governed by these obnoxious women. Denver is now a weakling who is getting out thugged by his girl who only a year ago was a bank secretary and just had a baby. But somehow she is now Rambo with an assault rifle. And the only male character who remains strong is of course the gay guy.

So much cringe, such a shame the show had a lot of potential.
<{clintugh}>

Tokio is an absolute piece of shit
Still she's hot over 9000

The british ambassador daughter (or whatever she was) was the true quality would-fuck-like-no-tomorrow pick though
<NoneOfMy>

The fact that romance and interpersonal conflict was basically the only thing that could throw a monkey wrench in the Professor's meticulous plans was a major theme of the show. I didn't consider it tacked on (overdone and not perfectly executed, maybe)

The last season didn't really need to exist and Tokyo is a POS, as noted, but other than that I feel like I got my money's worth.

I did the same as OP.
My girl is still watching but I cant bear anymore.
I hoped for Breaking Bad (not really, no) and got fast and furious(really).

Yup didn't like it either, the show is extremely hyped and I know a lot of people that love it, I couldn't get into it. Just not my cup of tea.

So Casa de Papel - poorly translated into Money Heist (the correct translation would be House of Paper), is a Spanish 3 season series on Netflix. As my wife and I both speak Spanish we thought this would be a good series to binge watch, and so it was for the first several episodes.

I had the same experience man. When they were inside the bank for parts one and two I was feeling it (for the most part). Once they left the bank I found the show unwatchable.

So I’m wrapping up Season 4 and I’d have to agree with most of what’s said here. The first two seasons are excellent and I liked the majority of the characters with Nairobi and eventually Berlin as my two favorites. Denver was a goofball and his story with Moscow was well done. Helsinki was enjoyable for the part he was given. My least favorite were Rio and Tokyo out of the main cast. The Professor is a fascinating character overall, however, his character late in S3 was ruined.

Here are my issues with S3 and on:
1: The Professor leaves open too many holes
  • The fact he didn’t separate the hostages who were causing problems (AGAIN). The mole was absolutely pointless. Why was she never filled in on certain people? Not given direction to call out anyone who looks like they’re plotting? A heads up about Palermo should he ever need to be apprehended?
  • Arturo, Arturo, Arturo! Once The Professor found out he was in there he should have separated him immediately. Further, those performing the heist should have known from the first heist Arturo is a problem.
  • Palermo is a HUGE risk. He told The Professor he’s a risk by saying he’s only loyal to the plan. That’s all you need to know about him. The Professor should have separated him into another room right when they tied him up. Take no chances.
  • Gandía and his team should have been locked in another room with only one exit. The Professor knew how dangerous he could be, come on.
  • Finally, he broke character giving the order to kill without verifying Libson was actually executed. That order was completely contradictory of the character. The one who is supposed to be methodical, calculated, cool, calm and collected needed Tokyo to enlighten him that she could potentially still be alive. He should have remained poised and waited for potential signs of life. The military unit was coming in the door, so I give them that leeway, but they could have signaled they were armed with heavy firepower a different way.
2: Coronel Tamayo just wasn’t a good counterpart to The Professor and Inspector Sierra wasn’t much better. She was ruthless but at the same time ridiculous. Who is she? Why was she picked to lead out of all the others? Why allow her to work a high pressure situation as a pregnant widow? Why did Tamayo allow a subordinate to speak to him like that? Does a chain of command exist? She’s screwed up multiple times and she’s still in Tamayo’s ear. It makes absolutely no sense and the lack of her back story was aggravating. Tamayo was just a goof and hard to take seriously. Every other minute he looked constipated or his head was going to pop off. He was just too dumb to be considered any sort of threat from the viewer.

Above are my biggest complaints. Of course the show is a giant soap opera, so I’m not bashing it too much. I hated how I had to yell at my screen a few times but they intentionally made it like that. Season 1&2 are a much better game of cat and mouse.

Nairobi has always been my favorite character, so I was sad to see her go. I should have known looking back. She was the mother of the group. She had her issues but overall she had a good head on her. She was very colorful, seemed genuine and had a great sense of humor.

After all that, I’ll continue watching. I’m invested in the characters and as dumb as some parts are, I still think the show is a good time.

I also initially liked the first season but for some reason it just became a drag to watch.

Back