How to roughly determine your gi size

Ninja This

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm having this issue where I look at the size charts and I'm like ok my height range is here but my weight range is one size up plus there is shrinkage to think about...

I weigh 239lbs (for now. just started training.) According to an online calculator (SO reliable- I know)
Idk my bodyfat percentage but I'm muscular enough that you can tell even though I'm a bit flabby around the midsection
I am 5 feet and eleven inches tall
Size 38 waist (idk if that will help you tell since I think most pants have drawstrings or something)

In many cases it seems like when I find my height range for the gi size chart I'm like 10 or more pounds over the weight range so idk which size to get.

Any tips?

You'll want to buy large and have it tailored.
I'm 6'1" 220 with a 34-35" waist.
Several Gi's I found where just a bit tight in the shoulders and didn't wrap around me far enough to be comfortable.

every gi is different.. i wouldnt say there is a general standard to go bigger or not because some gis fit smaller, snug or bigger. Your best bet is to actually contact seller and see whats up.

eg, sirius vs keiko

ive got the same question... i am about 6'0 and 180 pound.. i am gonna buy a fuji bjj gi.. should i get an A3 or A4? i know i should get an A3 but i am worrying it will shrink

Back