How to rock like Mike Tyson @ sugarboxing

NVSemin

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to expose my series "The Science of Mike Tyson and Elements of Peek-A-Boo" to your constructive criticism.

I know some people complain about grammar and typos, but our blog is more about pictures and the message. Most of the technical stuff is based on Jack Dempsey's book, interviews of Tyson's team (Mike, Kevin, Teddy, Cus) and some other creditable sources on boxing techniques in general.

Our goal is not to produce a guide like @ expertboxing (10 steps to this shit, 20 types of this crap), but represent available material (videos, books, etc ) in a more convenient way for analysis and practice. We always encourage the readers to read between the lines and go on their own beyond our basic sketchy descriptions.

We plan 10-15 article in total, covering all major aspects of this style!

Part I (Intro) - What is the peek-a-boo actually?
Part II: The stance, basic defensive moves and the jab:

pab-jab-strategy.gif

Part III: Basic patterns of the long range defense:

def-comp-classic-vs-peekaboo-one-two-01.gif

New Part IV is out on How to defend against an uppercut in the peek-a-boo as an introduction to the attacking arsenal of Mike Tyson.

Part V: Mike Tyson’s punching principles applied to hooks and uppercuts:

shovel-hook-hip-hunch.gif

shovel-hook-head-example-tyson.gif

Part VIII Introduction to the centerline theory with examples from Mike Tyson’s fights

pab-face-centerline.gif

Looking forward to your feedback!

Last edited:
helped me a lot with adding variation to my style, nice work man

Very interesting, sometimes uppers are the only way to stop those smaller bulls that try to emulate Tyson-

Good point, unfortunately, prime Tyson did not fight against a fighter with versatile uppercut who would consistently use it against Tyson. Only past his prime: Douglas is deserving mentioning obviously, and Razor Ruddock with his lead hand uppercut, which was above average. As our articles show, Tyson was well equipped against uppercut attacks, but avoiding them would require substantially more energy than avoiding jabs or one-two's ...

I felt like i should say something about someone else not from the Cus D'Amato lineage attempt to teach the peek-a-boo style (based on Tyson, no less). But i'm not the eloquent one so i will leave that for some other people instead.

Last edited:
I felt like i should say something about someone else not from the Cus D'Amato lineage attempt to teach the peek-a-boo style (based on Tyson, no less). But i'm not the eloquent one so i will leave that for some other people instead.

He isn't teaching the peekaboo style well he kinda is but only by showing how Tyson fights I don't see what's so bad about that. And the article is about the basics I'm pretty sure what's written in it is correct so what's the issue? The article never says that's it's teaching you a perfect peekaboo style it just addresses some basics that I'm pretty sure are correct

He isn't teaching the peekaboo style well he kinda is but only by showing how Tyson fights I don't see what's so bad about that. And the article is about the basics I'm pretty sure what's written in it is correct so what's the issue? The article never says that's it's teaching you a perfect peekaboo style it just addresses some basics that I'm pretty sure are correct

The thing is that notable fighters who used the system, even though it is the same system they all fought differently. Tyson fought differently compared to Jose Torres or Floyd Patterson (both of them trained by Cus). Cus basically take what they have and modify his system to their strength. So using Tyson as an example of "basic" peek-a-boo is kind of....how do you say it, weird? If you want to ask about the basics, you go to Catskill and observe. Or at least watch the fighters trained by Cus, not just Tyson.

So using Tyson as an example of "basic" peek-a-boo is kind of....how do you say it, weird?

It is not basic example, it is THE BEST example :)

If I train, I would use Tyson, not Torres or Patterson as examples

So i'm guess you are undersized for your weight, but also have 2 bazookas for hands?

So i'm guess you are undersized for your weight, but also have 2 bazookas for hands?

If you ask me, I'd say for the need of amateur boxing, one can develop proper punching technique in terms of speed and power. I just started with the punching principles of Tyson, I will soon cover real big goodies like the technique of flurries, uppercuts, cross, double punches (body hook , then uppercut), overhead / overhand, double and triple punches with the left hand (jab-hook, jab-hook, uppercut, etc) along with proper training for developing punching technique.

pab-jab-strategy.gif

So the purpose is to get square off right before the opponent at this angle right to fire combinations?

I got some questions about this:

But what I dnt understand is why? Its extremely hard to get there against a guy with good footwork like Hopkins, Pep or Leonard when he fought Hagler, when a guy constantly moves and pivot good it will neutralize the whole offense or not?

look at the fight between Vinnie Pazienza who was trained by Kevin Rooney (Mike

Last edited:
want to know how tyson fights? grab pen and paper ur analytical skills and watch all of his fights two-three times. should take about a week or two. instead of lazy shortcut like this, thats always my opinion. of course people coming in with some new angle or inside info is something else.

want to know how tyson fights? grab pen and paper ur analytical skills and watch all of his fights two-three times. should take about a week or two. instead of lazy shortcut like this, thats always my opinion. of course people coming in with some new angle or inside info is something else.

You won't believe this apparently, but I have watched 2 hour footage of all his amateur fights and first 7 pro like 10-12 times already in slow mo, frame by frame

When i used to train, i would love to have a breakdown like this. When training 5 times a week plus running and such, it is very hard to do actual analysis

pab-jab-strategy.gif

So the purpose is to get square off right before the opponent at this angle right to fire combinations?

But what I dnt understand is why? Its extremely hard to get there against a guy with good footwork like Hopkins, Pep or Leonard when he fought Hagler, when a guy constantly moves and pivot good it will neutralize the whole offense or not?

The thing is that notable fighters who used the system, even though it is the same system they all fought differently. Tyson fought differently compared to Jose Torres or Floyd Patterson (both of them trained by Cus). Cus basically take what they have and modify his system to their strength. So using Tyson as an example of "basic" peek-a-boo is kind of....how do you say it, weird? If you want to ask about the basics, you go to Catskill and observe. Or at least watch the fighters trained by Cus, not just Tyson.

Patterson and Tyson were VERY similar and pretty much both grew up with the peekaboo style I think Torres found D'Amato much later in his career but I haven't seen much of him tbh. Both Tyson and Patterson were small HWs so surely a boxer who is big for his divison would fight slightly different but what's described in the article is pretty textbook peekaboo style. Patterson, Tyson, Povetkin when he got trained by Atlas they all use(d) those techniques

pab-jab-strategy.gif

My lower back is screwed up enough already, but thanks.

Holyifled pushed Tyson back because he was physically very strong even though probably not as strong as Tyson, had dirty tricks, smothered Tyson on the inside and was the better inside fighter. Tyson was no inside fighter he wasn't great on the inside he fought at midrnage the peekaboo style even for shorter guys like Patterson and Tyson isn't a infighting style it's used at midrange.
Many if not msot footwork tricks like the step can be neutralized by using your own footwork it isn't just this technique there isn't a technique that always works there's a way to defend every technique ht stepping jab of Tyson is no differnece. And more often Tyson would simply slip the other guy's jab to the inside and jab himself or throw a dipping jab/slipping to the outside.
The peekaboo style isn't more prone to getting smothered thanmost pressure styles that's why there's usually a lot of clinching going on when an outside fighter fights an aggressive fighter.
Tyson sometimes squared up to much because every pro boxer has some flaws he squared up to throw fast combinations with both hands and he was just so sure of getting the better of the exchange that he didn't care about defence when he had his man at the ropes.
And the thing about not using the shoulder is exactly what I said Tyson wasn't an inside fighter.
Tyson used the slip jab as described in the article he often slipped to the inside and jabbed and he more often slipped to the outside and threw a dipping jab which is pretty much the same Louis did.

Thank you for the excellent answer!

Back