How to recover when winded in match

That sounds funny as hell. Are you a proffesional comedian? Do you make money doing it? how did you get into doing it?

Thanks for the tip. Generally though, I try to stay calm and that typically keeps me from winding for at least an hour or so.

Boomstick said:
That sounds funny as hell. Are you a proffesional comedian? Do you make money doing it? how did you get into doing it?
I'm not a professional yet...its like being an MMA fighter...there are venues for it but only a few guys are getting paid...I wasn't going to respond in detail cause i dont want to derail the thread... but seeing how this is your thread Boomy here's my response...

The best place to start is doing open mic's. I'm lucky in that i live in Queens, NY which is outerboro new york city (the working common people who run the city, and i view that as a compliment) and am just a 20 min. train ride from Manhattan. In Manhattan there are multiple open mics 7 nights a week. Once you get good at open mic you graduate to doing showcases which is where i am at now...at showcases people are paying but they are usually there to see one of their friends or something but its still a real audience...at a showcase you can get discovered or eventually move up to getting paid comedy gigs thru the club that is sponsoring it...the club i play at is cool cause the owner gives feedback so if you want to continue after bombing you have someone to learn from...here are just some random thoughts on the topic and how i use MMA as metaphor for it...
-just like MMA the crowd responds to energy and you've only got a limited time to do it(not enuff to lay n pray!)...
-i always loved the idea of fighters coming out to entrance music...there is someting almost mystical about it...so i come out to music that reflects me...i do a dance that is nto a hardcore dancing/mosh dance but still dramatic and it gets the crowd up, usually a Slayer or Six Feet Under song or something similiar
-because opportunities are slim and there are so many pirannha in the pool you got to be ready at all times and i have tried to emulate Fedor's persona of staying humbly,confidently RELAXED. When a club owner tells you yur going on at 9pm and you don't go on until 11:25pm its can be a nervous build up especially when comedians in front of your are bombing or the crowd starts getting hostile. I can only imagine what it must be like to fight after like they'd call it in the military "hurry up and waiting" for like 2.5 hours backstage. So breathing is very important here.
-Ken Shamrock used to say its important to get in there and take the center of the ring...i try to follow this all the way...got to go all the way and believe in your material and have that belief behind the execution of it...
-I study JKD although i've been stuck at orange belt for sometime cause lately i've been missing some classes...but alot of what Bruce Lee said about martial arts I relate to my comedy...things like...
-expressing yourself honestly, physically...I can only be me and my comedy routine is an exaggerated/amplified form of myself...it gets a real good response when i take this view...when i try to do things that aren't me it falls flat...style whether fighting or comedy is content and form aligned.
-there are so many aspects that are similar; such as setting the rythm, reacting/responding to the unexpected, controlling the tempo, adapting on the fly...
There is my MMA/Comedy rant. Thanks for letting me share...
I do a bit that includes some MMA terms...where i tell stories about going through my day and getting into confrontations and then i describe in detail the proper technique for say a knee to the head, or a rear naked choke...
I'm playing at the New York Comedy Club(9-11pm) tonight on E24st if anybody in the area want to check it out. But the place is a dive, you'll spend alot of money ($10+2 drink minimum),you'll hear some good stuff but you may be subjected to some awful stuff;vulgar, racist, i'm so pathetic its pathetic, republican-democrat(booooorrrrring), Dana Cook clones, and alot of other bad stuff cause it s for beginners. Mention my name (Doug) and i'll be forever grateful but it won't help you get a discount. If you can avoid doing material about that list i just made your already 1 step ahead of the pack. Good luck bro any questions just contact me.

I have always had a secret desire to be a comedian for some reason. I even have some shit i have wrote but i dunno if i would have the balls to get in front of a crowd and tell jokes so props to you and thanks for the insight.
Do you write your own material or hae some one help you

I write my own material. When i'm hanging with my friends and letting loose thats usually where it comes from for me...then i try it at open mic to see if it works...i do know some professional comedians because some of them come back to open mics to test new material and if it bombs noone really cares or remembers...The Comedy Bible by Judy Carter is probably the best book out there for beginners...i was a substitute teacher after college for a few years in South Jamaica Queens;that school district was alot like Mad Max;Thunderdome so i got used to being in front of tough audiences on a daily basis...start carrying a pen and pad around and wrting funny stuff that comes to you so you don't forget it...i study other comedians and break down there style and things and am always trying to evolve just like in MMA...I would say go for it cause i can tell there is a resurgence in comedy over the last year and its coming on strong and the path is crowded with such garbage that if you have anythign original you can make some head way.

Yes it is obviously very possibele to breather throught your nose and mouth at the same timea and AS FOR THE original thread poster, thanks for the tip bud.....

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
i thought one passageway closes up when the other one inhales air

the passageway that keeps swallowed food out of our lungs

OpethDrums said:
the passageway that keeps swallowed food out of our lungs

I must be missing that passageway, I was eating sunflower seeds and started laughing and i felt that shit hit one of my lungs or something. Stung like chlamydia of the lungs

Back