How to protect your squash?

easilysubmitted

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
after sparring or fighting when youve taken a few good shots to the head, nothing too serious tho, what do you guys recommend/do to keep, your head healthy. I know staying hydrated is very important but what other advice do you have?

Looking at preventing long term side-effects here.

Thanks guys

Don't get hit.

Sorry, that wasn't funny. But, seriously, I feel that if you're sparring you and your partner should be exhibiting control, especially as far as head shot are concerned. Plus, if you're sparring full-contact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to where head gear.

If your worried about your brain slowing down, use it more, play mind games. Such as chess, crossword puzzles, sudoku (anything that gets your brain fizzing). It's proven to stop alzheimer

I am no scientist either, but I don't think your brain cells can heal or regenerate. If they get damaged or lossed I think that is it for them and if some do repair it is a very smll %. So things like crossword puzzles won't help. It will help prevent alzhiemers, but won't help with taking to many blows to the head.
Best thing you can do is block your head more, bob and weave, and/or wear headgear. And even though farmboy was only kidding around he is right, not getting hit in the head is the best way to prevent getting hit in the head (obvious, but true)
Also farmboy made another good point about using some control when sparring (especially when going for the head).

well if you're used to straining your brain it wont be so hard to strain to do regular things when you're brain damaged

Every cell in the body regenerates, the healthier the cells the better they regenerate. Your brain's made out of cells, if it didn't repair, then all the people who drink regulary would be dribbling wrecks. Also eat fish regulary.
I'm not saying exercising the brain is a cure, just a way of reducing the deterioration of your mental functions. If your talking long term side-effects, then keeping it active & healthy will help. But if your head is just a human speed bag, then your screwed. Think prevention not cure, keep your hands up, duck, slip.

pistachio22 said:
Every cell in the body regenerates, the healthier the cells the better they regenerate. Your brain's made out of cells, if it didn't repair, then all the people who drink regulary would be dribbling wrecks. Also eat fish regulary.
I'm not saying exercising the brain is a cure, just a way of reducing the deterioration of your mental functions. If your talking long term side-effects, then keeping it active & healthy will help. But if your head is just a human speed bag, then your screwed. Think prevention not cure, keep your hands up, duck, slip.

after reading you post I did a google and it seems that they have changed there views on the subject. I was taught that they do not regenerate, but according to these articles they do

http://www.princeton.edu/pr/pwb/99/0405/brain.htm
http://www.brainlightning.com/regen.html
http://www.salescene.com/healnw12.html

there are a lot more, but I don't have the time or desire to go through every page of information google gave me.

Best advice?

Keep yours hands up. Take the punches on your arms. Get real good at slipping and rolling your shoulders. Simple.

Back